You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

full coaching staff announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Gannon: “People in Minnesota are going to love Norv Turner. I think he’s aggressive, likes to push the ball down the field, but if you really study him, he has had a lot of success with some great backs. You go back to his days with Emmitt Smith in Dallas, you go Stephen Davis had a terrific couple of seasons with him in Washington, you look at LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego. I think there’s a misconception out there that he’s all about throwing the football, but believe me, Adrian Peterson is still going to be a busy boy in Norv’s offense.”

“He taught me some different concepts in the passing game. He had a much different approach as a play-caller. I think he sees the game through the eyes of the quarterback. I think he likes to be aggressive, likes to push the ball down the field. I don’t know that there’s a quarterback out there that doesn’t like to throw the ball down the field. I think it’s going to be a wide-open, entertaining offense for Vikings fans.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/244089111.html

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The notion of the first-round franchise quarterback as a necessity has become popular, but the two best teams in the NFL, Seattle and San Francisco, each found an unconventional quarterback without using a first-round pick, and each has built a powerhouse without relying on a new-age passing offense.

Norv Turner: “The guys I’ve been around that are so-called franchise quarterbacks weren’t considered franchise quarterbacks until they started winning. You’ve got to get a guy that everybody believes in and put good people around them and find out how far you can go. I was with Brad Johnson in Washington. We went to the playoffs and won the division, and the owner was convinced he couldn’t win a Super Bowl, so we let him go. He went to Tampa, and the next year he won a Super Bowl. The one thing that has been proved, and you go back to Sunday’s game [with Russell Wilson] — quarterbacks come from a lot of spots. A third-rounder wins the Super Bowl, and there were a lot of good players that weren’t drafted high.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/244123291.html

Glad that Norv isn't married to the idea that the QBOF has to be shiny 1st round pick. I also appreciate that he points out that the qbs of the two best teams in the NFL (49"ers would have beaten Broncos) are not prototypical pocket qbs. I think Norv is willing to be creative and design an offense around the talent of his players.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is, mn does not have a qb to build an offense around based on specific skill set. Turner gets to hand pick his guy and since he has that choice, he is going to want a guy who fits his offense. Turner didn't take the job to run someone else's offense and he hasn't shown much flexibility in the past to suggest otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
ArcticNorseman wrote:
The fact that he coached HOF players and those defensive lines performed worse under his tenure than at other parts of their careers is what concerns me.

? According to FootballOutsiders, the 2 years he was here were the best 2. They were #24 and #11 the 2 years before and #26 and #29 the 2 years after...the 2 years he was there? #9 and #6.

I know I'm getting old and senile Wink and I also completely believe Denny Green ignored keeping the defense strong through the draft because he wanted to sell tickets; and CC, Moss, Reed and Smith did that. But these rankings are based on?

The defensive line for the Vikes in 96 and 97 didn't have the same players in 98-99 . . . nor did they have an offense that put up 35 a game, allowing the D-line to pin their ears back and go.

It is worth noting the ranking shooting up the two years after he left . . . but I think that was about the time Denny was on the way out. I recall both the DC and D-line coaches changed . . . Patterson and Fazio left . . . maybe the new guys coached better?
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
I also appreciate that he points out that the qbs of the two best teams in the NFL (49"ers would have beaten Broncos) are not prototypical pocket qbs.

When did he say this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
disaacs wrote:
ArcticNorseman wrote:
The fact that he coached HOF players and those defensive lines performed worse under his tenure than at other parts of their careers is what concerns me.

? According to FootballOutsiders, the 2 years he was here were the best 2. They were #24 and #11 the 2 years before and #26 and #29 the 2 years after...the 2 years he was there? #9 and #6.

I know I'm getting old and senile Wink and I also completely believe Denny Green ignored keeping the defense strong through the draft because he wanted to sell tickets; and CC, Moss, Reed and Smith did that. But these rankings are based on?

The defensive line for the Vikes in 96 and 97 didn't have the same players in 98-99 . . . nor did they have an offense that put up 35 a game, allowing the D-line to pin their ears back and go.

It is worth noting the ranking shooting up the two years after he left . . . but I think that was about the time Denny was on the way out. I recall both the DC and D-line coaches changed . . . Patterson and Fazio left . . . maybe the new guys coached better?

I always hated the way that Denny treated the defense...as if it was something that he just had to put warm bodies there...without having to concern himself with how they actually played.

I find the comment though about Patterson pushing for Dimitrius ridiculous, considering how little Denny paid any attention to anyone on who to draft. I personally believe that was all Denny's doing drafting him in the 1st. Maybe Andre pushed for him, but I doubt that he pushed for him that early.

Thx to Lil Uno!
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still reserving judgement on whether Andre' Patterson can coach well . . . proof's in the pudding.

I said that same thing last year about the Viking's other Patterson, and boy-howdy, am I glad we got him now;)

The most important tangent about this coaching staff will be DBs . . . I CAN NOT WAIT until we see how Rhodes, Robinson, Smith, Sanford, and Company perform with a different DB coach.

The talent in the backfield a few years ago was absolutely dismal, except for Winfield, and when he hurt his neck with Cook out, it was even worse than dismal. And they played like a bunch of down-trodden, sulking incompetents . . . that in itself is embarrassing.

To think the only time the DBs could play well was when Winfield was out there with Smith . . . well, that boils down to a coach . . . not the players.

Finally, the Vikes made that change after 8 unbearably disgusting years . . . well 2 fairly good ones. This defense has the talent to be top -16 . . . with good coaching, it'll be better, much better.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda random but why did we ever get rid of Karl Dunbar? The dline was always great under him, and now he's doing a tremendous job with the Jets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
Kinda random but why did we ever get rid of Karl Dunbar? The dline was always great under him, and now he's doing a tremendous job with the Jets.

I don't know if we'll ever know, but that was Frazier's move. There might have been some friction between the 2. Apparently, Frazier pointed the finger at ownership, but I suspect that was just a cop-out.

Thx to Lil Uno!
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:

Well, when you get to the end of a 3-13 year, life is rough, stress is high. Fingers get pointed and although we'll never know, I'll bet the farm that Dunbar (who's unit led the NFL in sacks), in a front office meeting fired off some commentary about how embarrassing the defensive backs and linebackers were.

I can totally understand if Woods jumped up and fired back and Frazier stepped in and tried to calm Dunbar down, yet backing Woods. Dunbar knowing he's standing on the edge, let's loose and boom, Frazier sticks beside Woods ---- horrible decision back then.

Under Dunbar, if you scored top defensive lines, the Vikes were stopping the run at under 90 yrds a game and garnering 50-ish sacks a year. Yet, where was the team ranked in pass defense?

Yeah, when Frazier didn't, or refused, to fire Woods (and Singletary) after the 4th game of the season, he signed his termination letter.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ‪‎Vikings‬ DBs coach Jerry Gray was a 4-time Pro Bowler as a player.

disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't done yet....

Quote:
A former NFL offensive lineman has joined the Vikings’ coaching staff.

The Vikings announced the hiring of former Eagles, Browns and Rams center Hank Fraley as assistant offensive line coach on Monday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/10/vikings-add-hank-fraley-as-assistant-offensive-line-coach/

I almost confused him with Bill Fralic, who if I recall correctly, dissed the Vikings prior to the draft, saying that he'd never play here if they would have drafted him (the Falcons took him at pick #2 which the Vikings had traded to them, while the Vikings took Doleman two picks later)

Thx to Lil Uno!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraley was a REALLY good player.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17 coordinators and assistants on Zimmer's staff have a combined 278 years of coaching experience, for an average of 16.35 years per coach. Five coaches -- Turner, Edwards, special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, defensive backs coach Jerry Gray and offensive line coach Jeff Davidson -- have at least been coordinators for other teams before joining Zimmer's staff.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/64898/vikings-coaching-staff-is-divisions-smallest

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The 17 coordinators and assistants on Zimmer's staff have a combined 278 years of coaching experience, for an average of 16.35 years per coach. Five coaches -- Turner, Edwards, special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, defensive backs coach Jerry Gray and offensive line coach Jeff Davidson -- have at least been coordinators for other teams before joining Zimmer's staff.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/64898/vikings-coaching-staff-is-divisions-smallest

I find it somewhat refreshing to have a slightly smaller staff. It always seemed a little bloated under both Childress and Frazier, so sometimes the messages got muffled. I've always found also in my own professional career that less is sometimes more.

Thx to Lil Uno!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: