Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Byron Stingily
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Byron Stingily Reply with quote

My question to some of my titan fam is this, how do some of ya'll feel about Byron.
From the few times I personally watched him,I saw a a kid with potential.
He wasn't horrible,but I think he can be a steal if he adds some weight & get stronger at the point of attack.
He has nice footwork & good athleticism,but after that I'm Lost.
Whats Your Take.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is our starter at RT next year.

He's young, athletic, and was projected by Sports Illustrated to be the biggest steal of the later rounds of the draft.
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him. I think he could be the RT this season. If that happens? Idk. Kinda risky since the new coaching staff doesn't have a whole lot of tape to watch on him. If could save us a 2nd round pick though.
Kendall Wright - 14 catches 121 yards, TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Stingley is our RT at the beginning of the season, it will be because he beat out whoever they brought in to be the RT. Stingley wasn't drafted by Webster, nor does he have Munch in his corner anymore. I doubt Whiz just hands the RT spot to a guy who has only 2 career starts.

Though he's not very good, I could see Levi Brown getting a look if the Steeers let him go. Has connections to Whiz

**RIP Steve McNair**
BurheadTitans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
If Stingley is our RT at the beginning of the season, it will be because he beat out whoever they brought in to be the RT. Stingley wasn't drafted by Webster, nor does he have Munch in his corner anymore. I doubt Whiz just hands the RT spot to a guy who has only 2 career starts.

Though he's not very good, I could see Levi Brown getting a look if the Steeers let him go. Has connections to Whiz

What about Eric Winston?
Baseball: Cincinnati Reds

Tennessee Titans (FFMD 2014) Offensive Coordinator
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:

Someone is going to be brought in for sure, but I don't expect them to cut a 6 million/year contract and go out and sign another big name RT.

Expect someone, as you said Levi Brown, who can come in and compete but won't command a lot of money.

Just because Ruston didn't draft someone doesn't mean he is not familiar with their capabilities.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very awesome if Stingly can take that spot. Will take a need off the board when they eventually cut Stewart.

I don't want to draft one in the first couple of rounds. I'd think they would go the vet route to fill that RT spot. It's an important spot, but not one as hard to fill as say a quality LT.

I honestly thought Stingly did a decent job last year. One play that sticks out is him getting beat for a sack. But other than that nothing else sticks out.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we draft a RT in the first couple of rounds, I'd expect he plays RT for only a season or two. I think the idea is (was?) that they draft a guy and let him play the right side while Roos plays out the final year of his contract. Next season, the team could decide to resign Roos and keep the young guy at RT, or they can choose to let Roos go via FA and the 2nd year player takes over the LT. It gives the team 1 year to fully evaluate both players, and make a decision based on both of their play (how much one declines in 1 year, and how much the other improves), and possible money involved.

I am pretty confident that would have been the move with Munch running the show, but I'm not sure how Whiz operates, so I can't say for certain if we'll follow a similar plan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
If we draft a RT in the first couple of rounds, I'd expect he plays RT for only a season or two. I think the idea is (was?) that they draft a guy and let him play the right side while Roos plays out the final year of his contract. Next season, the team could decide to resign Roos and keep the young guy at RT, or they can choose to let Roos go via FA and the 2nd year player takes over the LT. It gives the team 1 year to fully evaluate both players, and make a decision based on both of their play (how much one declines in 1 year, and how much the other improves), and possible money involved.

I am pretty confident that would have been the move with Munch running the show, but I'm not sure how Whiz operates, so I can't say for certain if we'll follow a similar plan.

I would agree with your take rage, I think that we target a OT in Round 2 or depending on the board we look to move back into the 3rd. I really like Morgan Moses in the 2nd. Or in the 3rd to 4th we could look at James Hurst, JuWaun James, Jack Mewhort or Cameron Fleming. Byron will likely be given a shot but his lack of experience starting will likely leave the door open for other options. I would not mind us looking at Tyson Clabo on a one year deal, he played much better at the end of last season and would likely come cheap.

Props to Kempes ^
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he'll be anything but average at best for a couple of seasons. Maybe a stop-gap which is fine with me.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering our starting QB is glass-fragile. I think we need to settle for better than "stop-gap"

**RIP Steve McNair**
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of his 2 starts this year he started against Green Bay and Jacksonville in 2012, so he has 4 NFL games for the FO to evalute him on plus playing time in 3 other games last year.

Has allowed 2 sacks in 4 career starts. Not great, but not horrible either. 1 each in our last two games last season, in which we rushed for 182 and 151 yards respectively. I think we'll be surprised with him. I was excited to see us get him in the 2011 draft so late.

By comparion, David Stewarts last start was week 15 against Arizona in which he allowed 3 sacks and the team rushed for 66 yards. These stats are obviously skewed to support my claim; Arizona is a much better defense than either Jacksonville or Houston (in my mind), but you can see that we didn't exactly have the golden boy at RT anyway.

We're 3-1 with Stingily starting Smile Haha.

The QB being glass fragile problem is not going to go away by having a better RT. Honestly, Stewart hasn't been great in pass pro lately. But a veteran needs to be brought in regardless once they release Stewart.

Stats don't lie. He obviously got snubbed from the Pro Bowl this year.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

The QB being glass fragile problem is not going to go away by having a better RT. Honestly, Stewart hasn't been great in pass pro lately. But a veteran needs to be brought in regardless once they release Stewart.

Stats don't lie. He obviously got snubbed from the Pro Bowl this year.

I agree.

Locker's injury's weren't a result of him taking hits in the pocket. Locker might just be one of those guys that get hurt celebrating a TD. He has that kind of luck it seems.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His hip injury came when Muhammed Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson sandwiched him in the pocket, did it not? Also the hit that sidelined him for 5 weeks with a torn shoulder in 2012 was caused by a sack in the pocket. So to say his injuries didn't come from hits in the pocket is flat wrong. The Lisfranc injury was fluke, the others were not.

Problem is we don't have a RT who can pass protect. I don't attribute our rushing successes to Stingley in the last 2 games. Houston and Jacksonville were 23rd and 29th against the run respectively and we all knew Houston wasn't trying That had more to do with us finally running the ball well, than Stingley or the previous offensive regime. The Cardinals, conversely were the top team against the run statistically last season (I find this stat interesting because they improved dramatically against the run AFTER Ray Horton left. They were 28th against the run during Horton's final season. This fits with my concerns about Horton's defense's not stopping the run.)

Point is if we plan on getting better we can't stick with status quo or a stop gap at RT. You're going to have to invest. More and more DCs are lining primary pass rushers up on RT's because they know that's a potential mismatch.

**RIP Steve McNair**

Last edited by Chocolateman78 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
His hip injury came when Muhammed Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson sandwiched him in the pocket, did it not?

Problem is we don't have a RT who can pass protect. I don't attribute our rushing successes to Stingley in the last 2 games. Houston and Jacksonville were 23rd and 29th against the run respectively and we all knew Houston wasn't trying That had more to do with us finally running the ball well, than Stingley or the previous offensive regime. The Cardinals, conversely were the top team against the run statistically last season (I find this stat interesting because they improved dramatically against the run AFTER Ray Horton left. They were 28th against the run during Horton's final season. This fits with my concerns about Horton's defense's not stopping the run.)

Point is if we plan on getting better we can't stick with status quo or a stop gap at RT. You're going to have to invest. More and more DCs are lining primary pass rushers up on RT's because they know that's a potential mismatch.

Wilkerson came off of the LTs side. Razz. And the problem starts with Locker being injury prone. You can lessen the frequency of your QB being hit, but you cannot stop it. Especially one that takes off and runs.

Just because you invest big money or a high draft pick on a player doesn't guarantee that they will perform. Levitre underperformed for most of the season in run blocking.

Not saying Stingily is going to perform great either. Just saying I think he has performed well enough with the limited opportunities that he has been given to merit a shot at it before we going investing a lot in the position. Not saying we shouldn't bring in an aging vet for cheap to compete with him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: