Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Cassel Re-Signed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the opening day starter at QB in 2014?
Cassel (re-signed)
50%
 50%  [ 30 ]
Ponder again
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Freeman returns
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Another veteran
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Rookie (1st round)
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Rookie (later round)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 60

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
If you can get Freeman for $1,500,000 or Cassel for $5,000,000 who do you take? its a no brainer for me. I dont see the upside in spending a chunk of free agent cash on a QB that is only expected to start for one season at the most.

You cant seriously think that Freeman is going to sign for $1.5M with us?
Cassels signed for $3.7-4M to be the backup QB option.

Would you take Freeman at $3.9M or Cassels at $5M
I do think that a fair representation, since these contracts would be signed knowing (at the time of the signature), they are the "best" QB on the current roster and possible/maybe lilkely starter

If not Freeman, maybe someone else.

Freeman sure doesnt have much leverage given all of the reports that have come out in regards to his work ethic. I dont think anyone offers him close to $3.9 million. He isnt a savvy veteran like Cassel is and that is typically what attracts teams to signing veteran stop gap options. I could see the Raiders looking at Freeman since Olson is coaching there .
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
If you can get Freeman for $1,500,000 or Cassel for $5,000,000 who do you take? its a no brainer for me. I dont see the upside in spending a chunk of free agent cash on a QB that is only expected to start for one season at the most.

You cant seriously think that Freeman is going to sign for $1.5M with us?
Cassels signed for $3.7-4M to be the backup QB option.

Would you take Freeman at $3.9M or Cassels at $5M
I do think that a fair representation, since these contracts would be signed knowing (at the time of the signature), they are the "best" QB on the current roster and possible/maybe lilkely starter

If not Freeman, maybe someone else.

Freeman sure doesnt have much leverage given all of the reports that have come out in regards to his work ethic. I dont think anyone offers him close to $3.9 million. He isnt a savvy veteran like Cassel is and that is typically what attracts teams to signing veteran stop gap options. I could see the Raiders looking at Freeman since Olson is coaching there .

Thats completely different.

1-Signing to be a backup on another team is one thing
2-Signing to be a presumptive starter on a team such as MIN is another thing.

In scenario #2, the player does have more leverage, then if that same player was signing in a scenario #1 (for another team).

Its not only about your talent/history that determines your contract, its also the type of role the new team has penciled you in as.
VIKINGS101011

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:
I could see Cassel going to the Texans and few of the other QB needy teams taking picking up veteran free agents.

I could see the draft going something like (not sure on picks 6 and 7)

Browns Johnny Manziel
Rams Jake Matthews
Jaguars Jadaveon Clowney
Texans Anthony Barr
Raiders Sammy Watkins
Falcons Khalil Mack
Buccaneers Blake Bortles
Vikings Teddy Bridgewater

Texans (via Browns) Derek Carr

I wish
Krauser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Ponder also costs quite a bit since he is in the last year of his deal. I doubt anyone trades for him, he will likely be released. Ponder would be a disaster in Turners offense.

Ponder would only cost $1,760,277 for a new team for next year.

Ponder, the 12th overall pick in the 2011 draft, signed a four-year contract for $10.15 million that is fully guaranteed. His signing bonus of $5.8 million is paid out evenly over the four years. For 2014, his salary is $1.76 million with another bonus of nearly $1.5 million. If the Vikings cut him this offseason, they would be on the hook for that money and a $3.2 million salary cap hit.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/243699321.html

AFAICT they're confusing the money Ponder makes in 2014 (the salary of $1.7M) with his cap hit, which includes the prorated signing bonus ($5.8M over the 4 year term of the contract), and totals $3.2M.

The residual amount of the signing bonus (which as the name suggests would have been paid when he signed in 2011) is dead money on the Vikings cap even if they trade him. But in case of a trade, his salary would be picked up by another team and would transfer from our cap to theirs.

I'm not a capologist but I think that's right.

$4-5M should be enough to re-sign Cassel. Having him as the presumptive starter does change the math, he does deserve a raise (any comparable vet signing to start week 1 and mentor the rookie would get a similar deal).

Unless they double dip in the draft for QB this year, they need a guy like Cassel as part of the team for the next 2 years at least, maybe 3. I have no problem with him getting something like $12M for 3 years with no guaranteed money after 2015.

Cassel's probably a better mentor and eventual backup than most of the alternatives: he's not injury prone, he has a few good games (along with some terrible ones), he's had some good coaching in NE, he's a solid teammate, etc.

We have lots of cap room for the next couple of years -- spending an extra $1-2M per year in giving the rookie a better start in the league, so he's not thrown to the wolves as quickly, seems like a worthwhile investment. If it's not Cassel, we'll have to find someone comparable, so they might as well make him a decent offer.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
He won't be back, the amount of disrespect he was shown after beating Pitt and then getting benched was enough for him to write us off. I don't blame him at all.

One of the few times I am agreeing with Frank. Cassel was jerked around while he was here. He should have been starting and Spielman had a hand in the mess.

Which sucks because he bought us time to draft a developmental quarterback. Without him I believe we will be forced into drafting a quarterback in round one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody liked my MBT suggestion?
jam8891

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Carr on everyone's draft board as the Vikings pick. Every time I see it, it bothers me. NO.... Jesus. Just because the top 3 QB's will most likely be gone before we pick doesnt mean we reach or trade down just to land a QB that is going to be average at best in my eyes.

I say we take the BPA or draft a QB in the 2nd rd. That; in my opinion, will be better than Carr. (Garroppolo, Mettenberger, Fales even Boyd)

If I had to pick, then I say dont trade at all. If Bridgewater falls to 8... Obviously he's the pick. If none of the elite QB prospects fall to us, then take the best available. Either it be Mack, Dennard, Watkins, etc)

Just like all of you, In this draft and like every draft, there is a prospect I'm not high on. At all.. Carr is this years *non-pick*
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel is one of the better of bridge QBs in the NFL. Hopefully this is just a formality in trying to get a sensible long-term contract. Minnesota is an intriguing option for QBs. Adrian, slew of receiving weapons, and a scheme that is going to allow you to sling it. I could see him leave for Houston but anywhere else would be a head scratcher.

I would have interest in Freeman but if the reports of him being late to meetings when he was with us are true, then no thanks. Freeman has the tools and if does have any potential left, Norv Turner would be the guy to get it out of him.

Chad Henne and maybe Michael Vick for a few weeks are the only other stop gaps I'd be interested in. Either way, this puts a damper on a great start to the offseason.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikesGuy07 wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:
If he winds up walking, I would go get Henne or go with Ponder. I have no interest in retaining Freeman or getting Mallet.

So I agree that Henne is an option, however, I have a real hard time expecting that Ponder will enter the season as the QB1 (with a rookie drafted being QB2). As soon as Freeman was brought it, IMO Rick's intention was to find another QB1 (not named Ponder).

Henne is a good call if the Vikes lose out on Ponder.

Is there a back-up connected to Norv Turner that nobody is mentioning? Someone he worked with in SD or something?

Charlie Whitehurst?

down but not out. I still believe!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Seeing as Ponder is done in Minnesota, we can likely trade him for a 5th or 6th round pick.

1) Ponder's done as a starter for the Vikes but still has value to us as a backup.

2) why is it likely to get a 5th or 6th for him? another team could draft a new QB with their 5th or 6th round pick and perhaps get more.

1) Not in this offense

2) If a team already has an established starter, but wants a good backup, or atleast a backup with experience in this league already, I'd think they should look at Ponder. In the emergency event, I'd rather have someone with some real expierence come in and play rather than rush a rookie. (If Hasslebeck leaves Indy, I could see a trade to Indy being a real possibility)

down but not out. I still believe!
Sir Fobos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the available options my preference would be to bring back Cassel on a 2-3 year contract with some guaranteed coin. He's a good backup, an experienced stopgap, and probably a decent mentor.

No matter what happens with the starting position Ponder is a very bad option for the AC offense and the Vikes should cut him loose.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I think most were just assuming that Cassel would stay with the team, and it was a fore gone conclusion... now look at us.

Personally, I think he is our best option, at least as a starting QB who could carry the team through the season and let a rookie QB sit as long as possible. The next best options behind him would be Henne, Whitehurst, and maybe Freeman. But beyond maybe Henne, do you feel comfortable with any of those QB's at the helm for more than half the season? I sure don't.

So say we do not retain Cassel, the real question probably is how much does this force our hand to take a QB early, maybe even trade higher in the 1st to get Bridgewater? If we take Carr, Mettenberger, Manziel, Garoppolo, do we really want them to be in a position where they could need to start day one? 6 games in the season? Personally, I think the only QB who could step in and be effective day one would be Bridgewater, and the rest of the lot needs at least half a season on the bench, learning the pro game, if not more.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
VikesGuy07 wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:
If he winds up walking, I would go get Henne or go with Ponder. I have no interest in retaining Freeman or getting Mallet.

So I agree that Henne is an option, however, I have a real hard time expecting that Ponder will enter the season as the QB1 (with a rookie drafted being QB2). As soon as Freeman was brought it, IMO Rick's intention was to find another QB1 (not named Ponder).

Henne is a good call if the Vikes lose out on Ponder.

Is there a back-up connected to Norv Turner that nobody is mentioning? Someone he worked with in SD or something?

Charlie Whitehurst?

Whitehurst would overthrow a receiver that is standing 2 feet from him. No thanks.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Browns draft a qb in the first round, would that make Brian Hoyer available? He played extremely well in Turners' offense before the injury. I would also be intrigued by Jason Campbell, who also played well at at time when the Browns running game was non-existant, and the offensive line was all dinged up. I still say he has the prettiest deep ball in the NFL.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
He won't be back, the amount of disrespect he was shown after beating Pitt and then getting benched was enough for him to write us off. I don't blame him at all.

One of the few times I am agreeing with Frank. Cassel was jerked around while he was here. He should have been starting and Spielman had a hand in the mess.

but where has Cassel stated he's disappointed? that he feels disrespected and will "write us off"? seems like you guys are reaching, or filling in the blanks with your own disappointments with the team, and projecting them on to Cassel.

because this is what he said at the end of the year -

Cassel: I love playing for the Vikings. The fan base here is absolutely amazing. The team was special. It was a great team to play for. I really enjoyed my time with my wife, myself, my kids, a great community and everything else that goes along with it. So, would I love to be a Minnesota Viking? Absolutely, without a doubt.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/243870561.html

a great team to play for... absolutely would love to be a Viking... without a doubt in his mind.

not the words of a guy who has written us off.

and by the way... Cassel wasn't benched after the PITT win in London, he was benched (for Freeman's one night stand) following the next game Cassel started - a humiliating loss to the then lowly Carolina Panthers where he averaged 5.5 yards per completion and had 2 int's.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 5 of 25

Jump to: