Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Cassel Re-Signed
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the opening day starter at QB in 2014?
Cassel (re-signed)
50%
 50%  [ 30 ]
Ponder again
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Freeman returns
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Another veteran
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Rookie (1st round)
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Rookie (later round)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 60

Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Matt Cassel Re-Signed Reply with quote

Quote:
KSTP ‏@KSTP 57m
Source: Minnesota Vikings Quarterback Matt Cassel will void his contract for the 2014 season

I think they should try to re-sign Cassel for 2-3 years, for a bit more money. I don't know who'd pay more for him. They'll need a vet backup for 2015 even if they hit on a franchise QB in the draft this year.

Last edited by Krauser on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Report_Vikings_QB_Matt_Cassel_intends_to_void_his_contract020514

Quote:
Email this a.m. from someone directly in the know on the Matt Cassel Fri. deadline: "He will void." I still think he's back though.

I'm not extremely surprised by this, I thought with a new coach it might keep him around better, if it had been Frazier and company would have doubted he'd come back. I hope he just wants more guaranteed money for this upcoming season and re-signs.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart decision on his behalf. Why take a one year deal making four million when you might be able to land a multi year deal for the same or more. I wonder if mn is even interested.
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From both the team and Cassel perspective, a stay in Minnesota makes sense. I can't see anyone else being able to offer Cassel more in terms of an opportunity to play as well as a paycheck. With such uncertainty at the QB position, the team also needs him.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like Cassel's agent is doing his job.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:
From both the team and Cassel perspective, a stay in Minnesota makes sense. I can't see anyone else being able to offer Cassel more in terms of an opportunity to play as well as a paycheck. With such uncertainty at the QB position, the team also needs him.

The browns, jags, raiders and texans have just as much uncertainty as Minnesota. I could see any one of those teams going after Cassel.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

The browns, jags, raiders and texans have just as much uncertainty as Minnesota. I could see any one of those teams going after Cassel.

If they choose to resign him for additional years, I wouldn't pay him one cent more than what we were going to pay him this year. If some other team wants to pay him more, let them.

Is there really a big difference between going 8-8 with Cassel and going 5-11 with a rookie or Ponder?
SodakViking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Bill O'Brien on the staff when Cassel was in NE...?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

If they choose to resign him for additional years, I wouldn't pay him one cent more than what we were going to pay him this year. If some other team wants to pay him more, let them.

Is there really a big difference between going 8-8 with Cassel and going 5-11 with a rookie or Ponder?

Cassel or any veteran adds value for not having to force a rookie into the lineup. I'd still consider a trade for Ryan Mallett, he is a veteran and is young. He is cheap as well, unlike Cassel.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

Cassel or any veteran adds value for not having to force a rookie into the lineup. I'd still consider a trade for Ryan Mallett, he is a veteran and is young. He is cheap as well, unlike Cassel.

Sure, but you can keep Ponder and not have to force the rookie into the lineup. It won't be great, but the results won't be drastically worse than they are with Cassel.

Also, I'd take Mallett in a heartbeat if we could get him for a 2nd round pick or less.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SodakViking wrote:
Was Bill O'Brien on the staff when Cassel was in NE...?

Houston makes a lot of sense and is a heck of a better team than MN right now in terms of talent. If Houston truly wants anyone other than Bridgewater, Cassel would be a good stop gap for them, especially with his background with O'Brien.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we resign Cassel and draft Carr (assuming no Teddy).

But I call to God, and the LORD will save me."
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Smart decision on his behalf. Why take a one year deal making four million when you might be able to land a multi year deal for the same or more. I wonder if mn is even interested.

Uh, maybe I'm in the minority but I know I would rather make a giant sum of money for one year's work than the same money for more than one year's work. Laughing
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
I hope we resign Cassel and draft Carr (assuming no Teddy).

I could live with letting Cassel go and signing a really cheap stop gap to start like josh freeman or Charlie Whitehurst.sure they arehorrible but why spend big money on your stop gap qb. Let freeman or whitehurst start for six games and throw Carr into the fire.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Uh, maybe I'm in the minority but I know I would rather make a giant sum of money for one year's work than the same money for more than one year's work. Laughing

But what if cassel is able to get five million per year for three years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: