You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

News and Notes of the Off-Season v1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Do I need to list all of the stud pass rushers and left tackles that have never sniffed playoff success or can someone else handle that?

You don't let a talent like Bryant walk

You do if he demands Calvin Johnson type money.
Dez Bryant is going to be on this team like it or not. You may as well save your breath
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Do I need to list all of the stud pass rushers and left tackles that have never sniffed playoff success or can someone else handle that?

You don't let a talent like Bryant walk

You do if he demands Calvin Johnson type money.

That's such a simplistic way of looking at things, though. Every player wants to be the highest paid at their position. There are no hometown discounts. No one is giving Bryant 8/150/60 if he hits the open market. Bryant's agent probably doesn't even open negotiations at a figure anywhere near that.

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
buckwild wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
“Hell no,” Bryant said. “I don’t even think about leaving Dallas. I’m Dallas forever."

Tis true, if Dallas can come up with $12-15m/yr.

He keeps comparing himself to Calvin Johnson, and is going to want a contract similar to his. Think that Tyron is the player they need to lock up first as it is harder to find a LT than a WR.

I hope you're joking. On both points.

Seattle won yesterday with 2 UDFA catching TD passes, and Russell Wilson was sacked 0 times yesterday.

It may not be sexy, but Championships are built and won in the trenches.

Or would you rather have a Top 5 receiver that makes 10 million a year while the team is 8-8/9-7 every year?

That's great, but you don't just get rid of the best player on your team. If Seattle had Dez there would be no way they would let him go.

I hope you're not implying that keeping Dez would damage the overall talent pool of the team.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
buckwild wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
buckwild wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
“Hell no,” Bryant said. “I don’t even think about leaving Dallas. I’m Dallas forever."

He keeps comparing himself to Calvin Johnson, and is going to want a contract similar to his. Think that Tyron is the player they need to lock up first as it is harder to find a LT than a WR.

Seattle won yesterday with 2 UDFA catching TD passes, and Russell Wilson was sacked 0 times yesterday.

Or would you rather have a Top 5 receiver that makes 10 million a year while the team is 8-8/9-7 every year?

That's great, but you don't just get rid of the best player on your team. If Seattle had Dez there would be no way they would let him go.

I hope you're not implying that keeping Dez would damage the overall talent pool of the team.

If he is wanting 6 for 100 million, and this teams history of drafting poorly until the past couple drafts. Then you are definitely handcuffing yourself when it comes to the cap. Dez is a great player, and hope he plays his whole career as a Cowboy. These are the tough decisions that Jerry is going to have to make for what is best for the team moving forward.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players play and coaches coach, players will usually play to the ability that they are coached. Bryant to me has exceeded his coaching based on raw talent, so he is an outlier on our charts(for you non-six sigma people this means he is different) compared to our other players. Seattle has talent and coaches to coach it out of them, we have talent and JG, enough said. Marinelli coached his players to play to their talent level and above, our other coaches seem to be "dumbing down" our talent pool.
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
buckwild wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
buckwild wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:

If he is wanting 6 for 100 million, and this teams history of drafting poorly until the past couple drafts. Then you are definitely handcuffing yourself when it comes to the cap. Dez is a great player, and hope he plays his whole career as a Cowboy. These are the tough decisions that Jerry is going to have to make for what is best for the team moving forward.

I'm with you on this one. Every player is worth something and to pay them more than that is foolish. What that exact worth is for Dez can be debated, but in no way should the team overspend on a WR. Dez is the best player on our team, but we are an 8-8 team. Unfortunately Jerry will be left to keep Dez, Tyron, and Lee but have little room for much else. Teams deep in talent can afford to let a few walk while holding on to top tier players. The Cowboys are not deep in talent.

If it's reasonable to extend him then I'm all for it. He can be a part of this rebuild if it ever happens. My fear is that he overpays for Dez, extends and oft injured Lee, all while restructuring Ware and others again.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our OL Rocks?

www.advancednflstats.com/2014/02/the-2013-ans-all-analytics-team.html#more

Quote:
The Offensive Line of the Year is another easy one. Dallas. The DAL o-line allowed only 79.5 -EPA to opposing front-sevens. Second best was DEN at 49.9 -EPA, and the Broncos have a QB that gets rid of the ball at light speed. Keep in mind that the league average is exactly zero -EPA. The DAL o-line was also 2nd in WPA, and league-best in both run -EPA and pass -EPA. That tells you something.

Redball = Carrol?

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4724134/how-similar-are-jason-garrett-pete-carroll?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Quote:
We sometimes mistake the Garrett who addresses the media as the Garrett who addresses the team. We saw a glimpse into what he is really like during his introductory meeting with the players at training camp last summer. Players talk about his motivational tactics all the time.

So Garrett doesn’t have to start chewing gum and prowl the sidelines looking to give the next high five or even play music in practice -- we made fun of Wade Phillips when he did it, remember? It was a lack of discipline then.

You are who you are. If Garrett changed publicly, it would be phony.

What Garrett is trying to sell is what Carroll has sold.

WE WANT SEATTLE!

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4724107/could-cowboys-open-up-in-seattle?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Quote:
ESPN’s Adam Schefter mentioned the Cowboys as a possibility for the Sept. 4 season opener at Century Link Field against the Seahawks. So did Peter King of TheMMQB and Sports Illustrated.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Our OL Rocks?

www.advancednflstats.com/2014/02/the-2013-ans-all-analytics-team.html#more

Quote:
The Offensive Line of the Year is another easy one. Dallas. The DAL o-line allowed only 79.5 -EPA to opposing front-sevens. Second best was DEN at 49.9 -EPA, and the Broncos have a QB that gets rid of the ball at light speed. Keep in mind that the league average is exactly zero -EPA. The DAL o-line was also 2nd in WPA, and league-best in both run -EPA and pass -EPA. That tells you something.

Maybe why we kept Callahan around?

^^^El Rammy
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting Seattle opening day would probably give us our best shot at pulling off the upset. Should be mostly healthy and fresh for the first game, right? Laughing

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman views on Cowboys.

Quote:
“I think with winning organizations there are processes that are in place and there is a way to do things, a philosophy, a belief that you have and everything is built around that,’’ Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said. “If you take Seattle for instance, if you say ‘hey, what is their philosophy,’ you kind of know what that is. They’re going to play great defense, they’re going to run the football and they draft players who fit the mold of what they’re looking for. I don’t know that the Cowboys…

“The Cowboys tend to change their beliefs each year on what it is they need or what they’re about. I find that to be somewhat unusual for a club that has been owned by the same owner for however long it’s been.’’

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/troy-aikmans-thoughts-the-cowboys-tend-to-change-their-beliefs-each-year-on-what-it-is-they-need-or-what-theyre-about.html/

In Redball I Trust!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Aikman views on Cowboys.

Quote:
“I think with winning organizations there are processes that are in place and there is a way to do things, a philosophy, a belief that you have and everything is built around that,’’ Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said. “If you take Seattle for instance, if you say ‘hey, what is their philosophy,’ you kind of know what that is. They’re going to play great defense, they’re going to run the football and they draft players who fit the mold of what they’re looking for. I don’t know that the Cowboys…

“The Cowboys tend to change their beliefs each year on what it is they need or what they’re about. I find that to be somewhat unusual for a club that has been owned by the same owner for however long it’s been.’’

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/troy-aikmans-thoughts-the-cowboys-tend-to-change-their-beliefs-each-year-on-what-it-is-they-need-or-what-theyre-about.html/

I'd agree. There is a base formula (create turnovers, play hard on every down, etc.) but we really don't have an overall identity like some of these other more successful franchises.

^^^El Rammy
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that under the current staff, it has been:

Finesse offense based on a short passing game and a defense that is completely dependent on turnovers.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say we are a cute team prone to devastating losses that is capable of being competitive with anyone.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree 100% with Aikman. For how long have I been questioning the team's identity? How critical was I of JG in 2012 for bringing in OLmen who did not fit a ZBS? We've gone from a down the field passing attack where Romo would consistently get 8 YPA to a dink and dunk very conservative offense. Yet, unbelievably, a conservative offense that will blatantly abandon the run.

And defense is pretty much a joke between scheme changes and playing players out of position in the respective schemes (which has been going on since before JG).

I recall making a post about Pete Carroll where I said I don't think he's a great X and Os coach. But his genius is finding players who fit his scheme, getting them to compete like dogs, and buying into his scheme.

After 3.5 years of JG, we are really no closer to having an identity than when he started. Add to that that he really does not excel in any aspect of coaching and we can see why 70-80% of cowboys fans want JG replaced.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says he hasn't been asked but...

Jon Machota @jonmachota
Follow

Quote:
Troy Aikman said the timing isn't right for him to be a GM. "If the timing is right, down the road, it's something I'd certainly consider."

DAT FUTURE DOE

In Redball I Trust!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: