Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Seattle’s dominance should mean for the Saints...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
I'm all aboard the Aaron Donald at 27 train, thats all I know.

Harp... I doubt he makes it past either Chicago or Dallas, Laughing but if he's there at 27 he must be a consideration!

His height will scare people away. The guy is Geno Atkins 2.0 though, I'd be ecstatic if he fell to us at 27. Him and Hicks pressuring the inside with Jordan and Galette coming off the edge? We would have an argument for best DL in the league no question.

Absolutely agree but with Seattle winning the Superbowl, and Donald dominating at the Senior bowl week... teams will likely began to take more risk with size restraint players. The Seahawks best player on both offense and defense were undervalued because of their presumed lack of size.

Russell Wilson went in the 3rd but if he'd been 4 inches taller he'd have went top 10 overall. Earl Thomas had top 5 talent but fell to the 14th overall pick simply because he was a 5'10" safety.

I see Donald and Joyner going a lot higher than people think... The same with players like Johnny Manziel as well. I truly feel we will see a change of the guard this year in how teams view prospects who are clearly talented but lack ideal size. I don't believe they will be undervalued any longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I think it really needs to depend on our offseason. If we get a DB in FA then we should really look at WR in the 1st round, if we get a WR in the first round, then a defensive player should be a priority in the 1st round. If we get both then we should just go BPA...

But I really think that unless we pick up a true #2 or better WR in FA, we need to pick up a 1st round WR and possibly another by the 4th round...

Funny you mention FA, because Loomis was on the radio saying they try plug as many of their holes in FA as they can, so that in the draft, they can take BPA.

It all depends on which one of our 3 biggest needs (CB, FS and WR) we can plug in FA.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Raves wrote:
I think it really needs to depend on our offseason. If we get a DB in FA then we should really look at WR in the 1st round, if we get a WR in the first round, then a defensive player should be a priority in the 1st round. If we get both then we should just go BPA...

But I really think that unless we pick up a true #2 or better WR in FA, we need to pick up a 1st round WR and possibly another by the 4th round...

Funny you mention FA, because Loomis was on the radio saying they try plug as many of their holes in FA as they can, so that in the draft, they can take BPA.

It all depends on which one of our 3 biggest needs (CB, FS and WR) we can plug in FA.

If we got by my mock, cap cleared, we could realistically fill CB, S, and WR.

WR:
James Jones-Aging but productive
Maclin-Coming off an injury, which has never stopped the Saints before, but can be a legit #2 WR.
Hakeem Nicks-Coming off a subpar season but could go back to his old ways with a better QB and offense.

CB:
Sam Shields-A little small but he's physical and plays the way that Rob Ryan likes. Should be reasonably costed and give us more big play potential.
DRC-Size and speed Rob Ryan likes. Will be looking for his final contract before retiring so a long term contract with less money might be more to his liking than a short term bigger contract.
Aquib Talib-Has had some issues in his past and the Patriots are known for letting their DBs leave in Free Agency so we should be able to make a play for him. Good size and physical so it fits Ryan's scheme.
Vontae Davis-Another problem child but could be coming around. A moderate contract should be enough to secure him.

S:
Donte Whitner-Hard hitting safety that can also play some coverage. If Vaccaro is fine going to FS then Whitner can take over the SS position.
Malcolm Jenkins-I know people won't be happy with this option but considering we know what we would, and wouldn't, be getting with him, his likely cheap cost, he could be an adequate player while we draft and groom a new FS.

I think the best trio would be Maclin/Talib/Jenkins for choices in letting us fill needs and keep Graham. Going for some of the bigger names would be much harder as their price tag takes us out of the picture.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a clue how much we can spend in free agency after cuts/extensions etc.?

Guys like Talib, Shields, Whitner, Davis etc., are going to get fairly large contracts. Contracts I don't think we will be able to give them considering Graham needs a monster deal, and Cam Jordan will need one next season(possibly Junior too).

Hakeem Nicks is a good bet. I don't think he'll command all that much and I think he can do well here.

I personally think S will have to be sorted through the draft considering I don't want Jenkins back because he was useless last season. We need to fix the FS position imo.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Malcolm Jenkins comes back for anything more than the veteran minimum, we're overpaying. He's such a bum.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
If Malcolm Jenkins comes back for anything more than the veteran minimum, we're overpaying. He's such a bum.

Agreed... I'm sick of watching his shoulder throwing you know what!

Raves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Anyone have a clue how much we can spend in free agency after cuts/extensions etc.?

Guys like Talib, Shields, Whitner, Davis etc., are going to get fairly large contracts. Contracts I don't think we will be able to give them considering Graham needs a monster deal, and Cam Jordan will need one next season(possibly Junior too).

Hakeem Nicks is a good bet. I don't think he'll command all that much and I think he can do well here.

I personally think S will have to be sorted through the draft considering I don't want Jenkins back because he was useless last season. We need to fix the FS position imo.

Talib will maybe make 6 mil a year, Shields probably around 4, Whitner about the same, Davis is a wildcard with between 4-6 mil IMO.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

Talib will maybe make 6 mil a year, Shields probably around 4, Whitner about the same, Davis is a wildcard with between 4-6 mil IMO.

We could do what we did with Hawthorne/Bunkley and put their year 1 salaries very low...but it's just going to cause us major issues in a few years.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

We could do what we did with Hawthorne/Bunkley and put their year 1 salaries very low...but it's just going to cause us major issues in a few years.

I'd rather have Dexter McCluster and Walter Thurmond...

Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things I'd like to shed some light on for you guys that I saw from the big game.

1) the defensive philosophy has changed in the NFL, and I think it will catch on and improve the game. And that is, the raw physical play of the backfield. Think about his, the most penalized team in the NFL won. Meaning that on every 15 plays of holding, clutching, interference. The calls were only called once. Because that defense knows the refs will not call every play. So how clever is it to get a penalty of a 1st down, if you can get a 3-0 or turnover.

2) less is more, Seattle took on the Belichick approach of doing less but achieving more. I heard on the radio today that they actually took less out of they're play book for the SB. They focused on improving they're game instead of matching or besting what the other opponents do. Which sounds easy to do but is more of a Zen mind set of less thinking and let you body take over. And it think that played a part in the blowout, they're offense, defense and special teams were just playing football they knew, nothing special.

3) Chip Kelly's offense: now this may come as a shocker, but I think Chip has an offensive scheme that was completely overlooked because of the Seattles team. But you go back on watch the tape, Chips offense is so fluid and versitle it screams Legion of Boom Krytonite. I know it's premature and a bold statement, but I would like to see Payton's offense take some pages of what the eagles were able to outsmart opponents with what they had on offense.
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

Agreed. I'd take Talib over Thurmond, but I want McCluster bad.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

True but Thurmond is a very good young player that should be more in the price range that the Saints can afford... With players like Talib, Verner & Shields on the market Thurmond will likely allow the others to set the market and take a fair market deal as a starter on a contender.

kelsobob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think Shields will get a little less than the other two and Thurmond will be less than him. Thurmond plays the run tough but has had some injury problems in 3 of his 4 seasons. A 3 ligament tear in his knee at Oregon. A broken leg and a damaged ankle in 2011. He fast as hell and plays aggressive but he only has 1 int in his career. Not that its a concern though.
SWATcha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

Me too. Saints desperately need a return man that can shorten the field. Guys like Harvin, Hester, McCluster, force other teams to play differently. After watching Harvin take that kick off to the house in the Super Bowl, I really want the Saints to land a return guy now more than ever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Mickey intends of having some money to spend this offseason...

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/media-center/videos/One-on-One-with-Mickey-Loomis/72733e20-4cdf-4108-b5a6-407fc4b40a85

One on One with Mickey Loomis, at the 3:30-4:10 mark Loomis makes a clear statement that his intention is to not only adjust the cap situation but that he intends on improving the roster.

Very encouraging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: