Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:

Because we don't need depth Laughing Even though the reason seems obvious, but I'm not surprised that you are confused.

He can play two positions on the oline. Gee, I don't know, maybe you should look up 'utility'.

Lost Beadles at LG due to free agency and Clady was out for the season last season. Depth is valuable and we were lucky enough to have Chris Clark fill in the void and fill it in successfully. It is not like we signed him to superstar/Clady-lite contract. We gave him a 1 million year deal for 1 year.

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To your point about depth though, you do not sign an above-average starting Center if you plan on having him be a backup.

If average is the, say, 17-15th ranked Centers then you post implies that Montgomery is at least the 14th best OC in the NFL. Thats completley untrue. He is a below average starting OC. Probably one of the worst in the NFL. I wont disagree that having a player with starting experience is great bench depth, but he sure as hell should not be starting.

Remember how it was a breath of fresh air watching Ramirez handle some of the strongest DT/NT's in the NLF on his own last season and not get pushed back at the POA. Those days will reverse in a second should we rely on Montgomery to start. He cant anchor without help.

Also, the talk of Chris Clark as a RT is foolish IMO. Remeber the power running we got out of the right side last season? That ends with Clark there.

We want to build an identity as a tougher team than last season? Putting the finess Clark at RT is a step in the wrong direction. He was graded as a horrific run blocker last season.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
If average is the, say, 17-15th ranked Centers then you post implies that Montgomery is at least the 14th best OC in the NFL. Thats completley untrue. He is a below average starting OC. Probably one of the worst in the NFL. I wont disagree that having a player with starting experience is great bench depth, but he sure as hell should not be starting.

Remember how it was a breath of fresh air watching Ramirez handle some of the strongest DT/NT's in the NLF on his own last season and not get pushed back at the POA. Those days will reverse in a second should we rely on Montgomery to start. He cant anchor without help.

I dont think its fair to judge any Redskin OL based on last year alone. RGIII was the worst QB in the NFL last year. His play dramatically hurt the OL. If you look back 2 years ago when RGIII was actually healthy, in Montgomery's 2nd season as a starter, he was the 5th best Center (according to PFF), 11th in pass and 4th in run.

I agree with you about Manny. I enjoyed his play a whole lot last year. He clearly hit a niche with his play. He's stout at the POA and doesnt have to pull or move laterally as much if he were a LG.

Thats the reason I think this signing is weird. Montgomery is a good center. Was he brought in to replace Kuper or start? If he starts then Manny moves to LG? If hes moving to LG then why was Franklin so pissed off? If Franklin is staying at RT then why havent we traded Chris Clark while his value is so high and the team apparently loves Painter? Lots of questions I have.

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Also, the talk of Chris Clark as a RT is foolish IMO. Remeber the power running we got out of the right side last season? That ends with Clark there.

We want to build an identity as a tougher team than last season? Putting the finess Clark at RT is a step in the wrong direction. He was graded as a horrific run blocker last season.

Its not foolish. This team is a pass-first team. Clark is better at pass blocking than Franklin. Maybe the OL will transition to more of a zone concept instead of power on the right. Who knows... But its not foolish. Clark had a very good season last year replacing Clady. His value is crazy high. Its not good business to hold onto value if you dont plan to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that we brought him in for a visit a couple of weeks ago and let him leave town.

What I think happened is they decided Franklin was moving to Guard then both Franklin and his agent got pissed off about it so we decided to see if there are ways to leave Franklin at RT.

Really wouldn't surprise me if this signing means Clark is traded.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Remember that we brought him in for a visit a couple of weeks ago and let him leave town.

What I think happened is they decided Franklin was moving to Guard then both Franklin and his agent got pissed off about it so we decided to see if there are ways to leave Franklin at RT.

I hope not. Unless its knocking on the door of a generous 3rd round, why get rid? We saw how valuable he was last year and I'd much rather have the insurance of a decent backup to Clady. Imagine if Clady goes down and Clark isn't around; not sure Manning can take much in the way of beatings from his blindside. For me, the reward wouldn't outweigh the risk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

Clark will not be traded. He is signed for next to nothing and is worth too much. There is a lack of depth as it is.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

Clark will not be traded. He is signed for next to nothing and is worth too much. There is a lack of depth as it is.

+1! The best valued player the Broncos have right now.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

While I agree his cheap contract makes him easy to keep around, I disagree about value. His value is at its highest right now. He performed above-average at LT last year and can be had for a very cheap deal. If Franklin is the plan at RT, Clark should be traded.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

While I agree his cheap contract makes him easy to keep around, I disagree about value. His value is at its highest right now. He performed above-average at LT last year and can be had for a very cheap deal. If Franklin is the plan at RT, Clark should be traded.

Maybe for something we couldn't pass up. But why trade away great depth at a very important position? Especially with Clady coming off injury.

And DT is the best valued player on the team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

The small deal increases his trade value for sure, but his value to this team is astronomical.

They'll at least hang on through pre-season to see what line combo works best, and if Painter has progressed to the point that he can log emergency minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Major Wright has not been signed yet. One bad season, folks. One.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Johnson anyone?
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
TrentWilliamson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
Chris Johnson anyone?

Cut Dreesen and give him Cj 1 yr 2.5 mil, why not.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CJ gets more than 1 year. Probably 2-3 years at 3M or so each year.
SenorClean2k0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@terrymc13 1m
Rumors have #Jets and #Broncos Showing possible interest in CJ. If that's so, his choice will tell a lot about how much he values winning

pretty please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 74 of 76

Jump to: