Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super Bowl Game Day Thread - OMAHA!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
struby3 wrote:
This game had surprisingly little effect on me. It's just another day to me.

Same for me, I was not pumped for this game at all Laughing.

Me too. I wanted Denver to beat Seattle, even more I wanted Sherman to lose it for them, but I didn't care enough to have any emotional feeling when it went the way it did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
What sucks is we've constantly been the 2nd best team in the league every year. 2011, i'd say we were #2 to the Giants, better than NE. 2012, we were #2 to the Ravens. 2013, #2 to the Seahawks, better than Denver.

At some point, we're going to break through and be the best team...right?

One thing that makes me feel better is how long it took some good head coaches to win a superbowl- mike mccarthy took 5 years, as did john harbaugh. carroll took 4 years in his 3rd stint. coughlin took 4 years with the giants, after a few years with the jaguars. etc etc.

One difference is those guys were building their teams to the point of being really good and then winning it all. We've been in the conference championship game all three years and lost close games all three years. Sooner or later we'll win one just because everyone on our team plays great at the same time, or the other team just plays bad, or maybe because of a bad bounce or two. But if youo were architecting this team and planning its future, what would you want to do differently? What positions do we need to strengthen? What approaches do we need to tweak or revise? Is all we need to do sit back and hope that Kap will play well enough for us to win even with everything else being exactly the same?

Just for examle ... I think of Seattle defense as an attacking defense, and ours as a bend-but-not-break defense? Which is more effective, especially against the very best teams in the league. Think about that 3rd and 22 they had where we played one of our only 3-man rushes of the game and gave up a 15-yarder, which eventually allowed them to go for it on 4th (would we have done that?) and score a TD. We've been unable to run against Seattle even while using a big dose of jumbo and power formations. Should keep doing that, or is there a better approach?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
It's important to note that the pass blocking by Denver was really terrible. People complained about our o-line, but it was nowhere near as bad as Denver. Peyton gets rid of the ball faster than anyone in the league and even he didn't have enough time. So one key to beating Seattle, I think, is being able to give the QB enough time to set up and find someone.

Agreed that one-dimensional is not going to get the job done. We need to be able to pass and to run, and we can't allow their defense to dictate which we do. But running out of jumbo formations and 1-WR sets just plays into their hands too. It doesn't spread them out enough, and cuts down on our passing options. Seattle is simply not a team where we can line up 8 men on the los and say "here we come" and expect to gain consistent yardage that way. They can be beat every now and then, but we're not going to out-muscle them consistently.

By contrast, I loved what Seattle did with their offense yesterday. Could any of you guess before the play whether it was going to be a pass or a run? Not likely. They really mixed things up. And even with Lynch, they still didn't run out of jumbo formations and dare Denver to stop them. And they connected on a lot of short, quick and easy passes, which opened thing up for the deeper stuff they wanted to throw. The offensive approach they used against Denver is exactly what I think would work against them.

Disagree, Manning's OL certainly wasn't much worse than ours. It only seemed that way because he couldn't get outside the pocket like Kaepernick. Manning at times had all day and still couldn't get anything going. I was telling people in the General forum I can't see Denver scoring more than 20 or 24 points, and they responded, well Seattle has never seen weapons like the ones they will see on Sunday. Looks like I was being kind because they weren't close to scoring 20 points. I don't care if you have Megatron and Gordon on the same team, you will struggle through the air unless you watch them being overly aggressive as did IND.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
It's important to note that the pass blocking by Denver was really terrible. People complained about our o-line, but it was nowhere near as bad as Denver. Peyton gets rid of the ball faster than anyone in the league and even he didn't have enough time. So one key to beating Seattle, I think, is being able to give the QB enough time to set up and find someone.

Agreed that one-dimensional is not going to get the job done. We need to be able to pass and to run, and we can't allow their defense to dictate which we do. But running out of jumbo formations and 1-WR sets just plays into their hands too. It doesn't spread them out enough, and cuts down on our passing options. Seattle is simply not a team where we can line up 8 men on the los and say "here we come" and expect to gain consistent yardage that way. They can be beat every now and then, but we're not going to out-muscle them consistently.

By contrast, I loved what Seattle did with their offense yesterday. Could any of you guess before the play whether it was going to be a pass or a run? Not likely. They really mixed things up. And even with Lynch, they still didn't run out of jumbo formations and dare Denver to stop them. And they connected on a lot of short, quick and easy passes, which opened thing up for the deeper stuff they wanted to throw. The offensive approach they used against Denver is exactly what I think would work against them.

Disagree, Manning's OL certainly wasn't much worse than ours. It only seemed that way because he couldn't get outside the pocket like Kaepernick. Manning at times had all day and still couldn't get anything going. I was telling people in the General forum I can't see Denver scoring more than 20 or 24 points, and they responded, well Seattle has never seen weapons like the ones they will see on Sunday. Looks like I was being kind because they weren't close to scoring 20 points. I don't care if you have Megatron and Gordon on the same team, you will struggle through the air unless you watch them being overly aggressive as did IND.

Not the impression I was left with. Sure Manning had time on some plays. But they were on him almost instantly on a lot of plays. I don't recall Kap having guys on him almost instantly all that often. I plan to rewatch our game play by play this week. First thing I want to do is check out all our running plays and see why we failed so badly. I'll try to check the passing plays to see how often Kap was under pressure almost immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
trey wingo ‏@wingoz 2h
Denver Broncos: 2-0 in Super Bowls played with @markschlereth ...0-5 without him. #justsayin
Laughing Laughing Laughing
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

That's why I want Boldin back, and hope to re-sign Crabs. They know how to battle for position against these Seattle defenders, and have gotten very good at it.

As much as I wanted Manning to destroy this secondary, I knew it was going to be a very difficult thing for him to accomplish because of the ball he throws. You can't float balls against this Seattle secondary because their closing speed is unreal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
I may be wrong, but I don't Seattle designed it intentionally for the sound to stay in. The roof over the seats was just for weather. The weather is generally nice in SF (better in Santa Clara), so aside from the sound thing, there's not much use for an overhang in our stadium.

I'm pretty sure the architecture made it where the sound comes out like it does. They had an little clip on him saying why he made it that way.

If you ask any Seahawks fan, they'll corroborate this. They call it a happy accident. I still think it's an unfair advantage. Then seahawks fan will say they can't remove the roof, to which I'll say: there exist accoustic dampeners. The NFL should rule as to what is deemed an unfair crowd advantage, a number of decibels allowed. It's not just for opposing teams, but it's also about the comfort and hearing health of the people in the stadium. I've seen many a comment of seahawks fans who said they don't go to games anymore because of the noise. Let's say the league allowed noise to reach 110 decibels, I'm sure experts could outfit the stadium with just the right amount of material in the roof structure to limit the noise projected back onto the field. It's feasible and fair. The hawks would still get a homefield advantage, as their stadium would probably still be louder than our stadium, and most stadium. It just wouldn't be as exceedingly loud.

I actually hate the notion that a stadium should influence a game as much as Seattle's does. I wouldn't want to see all of the NFL where teams are 7-1 at home and 3-5 on the road. And it makes a farce out of any playoff game played at that kind of stadium. If I see two evenly matched teams play a game I'd like for each team to have a reasoably equal chance to win. Sure home field will always be an advantage because of its familiarity, the lack of travel for the home team, etc. But when one team can't even hear the snap count, or call audibles, I just don't particular enjoy watching that kind of game. Both teams ought to be able to do the same things on the field. It's about, or should be about, outperforming the other team. Not handicapping them to the point where they little chance of succeeding. You might just as well have a rule that says the home team gets to play with 12 guys instead of 11.

That's what seahawks fans have been trying to tell us all along, duh! Wink

If I were a lawyer, I'd wait a couple of years, then I'd file a class action lawsuit against the Seahawks and the NFL for irreparable hearing damage, and season ticket holders forced to give up their tickets because the stadium wasn't what they initially signed up for. If players can sue the NFL over health issues, so can the fans, no? And since people like money, I'm sure plenty of people could be found to join the class action lawsuit. Is anyone on this board a lawyer willing to do this pro bono?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Not the impression I was left with. Sure Manning had time on some plays. But they were on him almost instantly on a lot of plays. I don't recall Kap having guys on him almost instantly all that often. I plan to rewatch our game play by play this week. First thing I want to do is check out all our running plays and see why we failed so badly. I'll try to check the passing plays to see how often Kap was under pressure almost immediately.

Take it for what it is worth, but PFF graded Denver's OL in terms of pass blocking a -2.6, while ours was -4.4. Again, it just looks that way because Kaepernick was able to get out of the pocket so often. Manning didn't have instant pressure in his face as much as it may have seemed. He just couldn't find anyone open due to the great coverage in the back end.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
That's why I want Boldin back, and hope to re-sign Crabs. They know how to battle for position against these Seattle defenders, and have gotten very good at it.

As much as I wanted Manning to destroy this secondary, I knew it was going to be a very difficult thing for him to accomplish because of the ball he throws. You can't float balls against this Seattle secondary because their closing speed is unreal.

Yep, Boldin and Crabtree are physical WRs that could come away with some tough catches. I believe Faulk mentioned this yesterday as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The NFC Championship was the Super Bowl," Sherman told The MMQB.com's Robert Klemko on Monday. "The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
"The NFC Championship was the Super Bowl," Sherman told The MMQB.com's Robert Klemko on Monday. "The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL."

YAY. We should hang a banner in the stands "3x Time 2nd best team"
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Kevin Durant why always 2nd? Laughing

I'm still not sure we beat NE in 2011, so I won't say we were 2nd that year. Who knows what would have happened against them or yesterday. Still, time to finally break through damn it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEGster wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:

YAY. We should hang a banner in the stands "3x Time 2nd best team"

Before us, i think the Ravens fit that profile perfectly. 2008 and 2011, AFCCG losses. 2009 and 2010, won a playoff game but lost in the 2nd round. That team suffered some playoff heartbreak, especially in 2011 when Lee Evans dropped a game-winning TD, and Billy Cundiff badly shanked a game-tying FG. But they were always in it, always won a playoff game, and they finally broke through. And as long as we keep competing, keep making the playoffs, we'll have a shot too.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/here-are-over-1000-text-messages-that-richie-incognito-and-jonathan-martin-allegedly-exchanged/#sthash.iaP4gxzO.uxfs
AMG1713

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/here-are-over-1000-text-messages-that-richie-incognito-and-jonathan-martin-allegedly-exchanged/#sthash.iaP4gxzO.uxfs

Man... Incognito is about as college frat boy as you can get. Martin doesn't come off too great, either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: