Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Commander Zim & Air Turner Mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWG VIKE wrote:
I would be really happy if this were to happen...

I think if the Browns take a QB at 4 then we should be safe to move back into the 20's hopefully for a trade somewhat like the Julio Jones trade. This would net us another 2nd rounder and give us the ability to also grab maybe Van Noy or Ford.

What about Donte Moncrief instead of Coleman? I think the 3rd is a little high for him.

Another thing I would like to add is if we get Carr I think we should try and grab his TE in the 4th, Jensen fits Norvs mold for a TE.

I wonder why a team in the 20's would try to move up into the 8th slot?

Why not move up into the 9th slot and save some trade value?

Or, move up into the 12th slot and save a bit more trade value?

Trades happen for a reason in the NFL, but one of those reasons is not so that a fans' team can, at will and whim, gain many draft picks in a Julio Jones or Hershel Walker trade. Those two trades, and perhaps the Wash-St. Louis trade that netted the Redskins RGIII will be remembered by GMs, especially those who are on the hot seat.

TEs for Carr; Rudolph, Ford, Ellison, and, possibly, Carlson. Why do you think the Vikings need another TE? Rudolph had a down year and Ford has potential to be good. Ellison is strictly a backup, but that eliminates the need to add depth.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
BWG VIKE wrote:
I would be really happy if this were to happen...

I think if the Browns take a QB at 4 then we should be safe to move back into the 20's hopefully for a trade somewhat like the Julio Jones trade. This would net us another 2nd rounder and give us the ability to also grab maybe Van Noy or Ford.

What about Donte Moncrief instead of Coleman? I think the 3rd is a little high for him.

Another thing I would like to add is if we get Carr I think we should try and grab his TE in the 4th, Jensen fits Norvs mold for a TE.

I wonder why a team in the 20's would try to move up into the 8th slot?

Why not move up into the 9th slot and save some trade value?

Or, move up into the 12th slot and save a bit more trade value?

Trades happen for a reason in the NFL, but one of those reasons is not so that a fans' team can, at will and whim, gain many draft picks in a Julio Jones or Hershel Walker trade. Those two trades, and perhaps the Wash-St. Louis trade that netted the Redskins RGIII will be remembered by GMs, especially those who are on the hot seat.

TEs for Carr; Rudolph, Ford, Ellison, and, possibly, Carlson. Why do you think the Vikings need another TE? Rudolph had a down year and Ford has potential to be good. Ellison is strictly a backup, but that eliminates the need to add depth.

I understand the argument for TE being a need. I could see the Vikings adding an athletic Tight End who can stretch the field. As of now, we dont quite know who those guys will be since we havent seen 40 times, but I could see MN wanting to find a 6-4 250 pound TE with 4.5 to 4.6 speed to add more diversity to the offense. Rudolph is very slow but he does a good job attacking the seam, which will be essential in Turner's offense.

Ford is more athletic than Rudolph but not as skilled as a receiver. I believe those two are an adequate 1-2 punch.

Ellison really doesnt fit, which is why I could see him being moved to FB and MN adding a new TE to replace him.

In this mock, I just rolled with Ellison as the #3 TE and FB. He essentially fills two positions, meaning MN can carry one more WR or CB than they normally would.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

I don't necessarily mean netting a future 1st but I do believe it is possible to pick up an extra 2nd + a 3rd or 4th, I see teams that are eyeing Watkins or Mack wanting to get ahead of the Bills at 9. If spielman wants out of 8 I believe he will work his smoke screens to his advantage.

I am not calling to replace Rudolph I love Rudolph but I think Norv will be asking for a little more speed to the rotation. Ellison is not much of a pass catcher and yes Ford showed some promise last year but neither have break away speed, I view Carlson as a cap casualty. I just see Norv asking them to add a tall speedy athletic TE and move Ellison to FB allowing Felton to be a cap casualty as well.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, if you want a 2nd round pick in a trade down, youre going to have to move to the 17-22 draft range. At that spot, youre much more exposed. Moving from 33-36 to 17-22 is not nearly as costly as moving from 33-36 to 8-13. Which is why I think that staying in the top 15 would be a safe bet in this scenario.

Further, if youre that intent on netting a 2nd round pick, the Vikings could trade one of its 3rd round picks with one if its 4th round picks and acquire a 2nd rd pick that way.

I just dont see much difference between the prospects in the 50s as I do in the 70 right now. That could change as the process evolves.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Ultimately, if you want a 2nd round pick in a trade down, youre going to have to move to the 17-22 draft range. At that spot, youre much more exposed. Moving from 33-36 to 17-22 is not nearly as costly as moving from 33-36 to 8-13. Which is why I think that staying in the top 15 would be a safe bet in this scenario.

Further, if youre that intent on netting a 2nd round pick, the Vikings could trade one of its 3rd round picks with one if its 4th round picks and acquire a 2nd rd pick that way.

I just dont see much difference between the prospects in the 50s as I do in the 70 right now. That could change as the process evolves.

Yea you are right it is risky moving out of the top 15, the biggest reason I want the extra 2nd is to grab a safety but RPM raises a valid point about waiting until we see how the current safeties fit the Zimmer style.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWG VIKE wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Yea you are right it is risky moving out of the top 15, the biggest reason I want the extra 2nd is to grab a safety but RPM raises a valid point about waiting until we see how the current safeties fit the Zimmer style.

I believe that I raised that point Very Happy

Unless RPM did in another thread and I missed.

I like Sendejo enough as a box Safety to give Smith and Sendejo another year together. If Smith cant handle being a FS in Zimmer's defense, he can move to SS in 2015. If Smith does well at FS, perhaps the SS need could be reevaluted at that time.

Sendejo did a lot of good things last year. he started ten games and had 84 tackles, and a Int. He has good size to play on the Strong Side and he might be an even better fit closer to the LOS compared to being in deep halves.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

Our avys are exactly the same, easy mistake to make Laughing
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
^^

I should remove my signature and link to your roster spreadsheet as well.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
^^

I should remove my signature and link to your roster spreadsheet as well.

Laughing

I should just change the title to vikingsrule's roster spreadsheet
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering the point of Whitehurst as third QB? You have the veteran in Cassel and Carr was drafted to be the eventual starter. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to get a developmental guy in that spot ?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:
Just wondering the point of Whitehurst as third QB? You have the veteran in Cassel and Carr was drafted to be the eventual starter. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to get a developmental guy in that spot ?

Carr can be the developmental guy. Once he becomes the starter, MN can add another developmental backup to replace Whitehurst.

Plus, Whitehurst has a much more intricate grasp of Turner's offense. His experience in Turner's offense will not only be beneficial to Carr as he develops, but Cassel as well, as he attempts to learn a new offense.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:
Just wondering the point of Whitehurst as third QB?

good point. we'd have both Clipboard Jesus and Purple Jesus on the roster at the same time.

very confusing.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

Carr can be the developmental guy. Once he becomes the starter, MN can add another developmental backup to replace Whitehurst.

Plus, Whitehurst has a much more intricate grasp of Turner's offense. His experience in Turner's offense will not only be beneficial to Carr as he develops, but Cassel as well, as he attempts to learn a new offense.

Thanks. The Turner connection makes sense and the 1 year deal for Whitehurst as well.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also reasonable to assume that Cassel may not be that willing to develop Carr as the eventual starter. Cassel has his own job to worry about. Having a third option like Whitehurst, who has no upside of ever starting in the NFL, might be beneficial for Carr in the sense of having a veteran QB mentor.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer: "Our biggest thing, I just want to meet the players that are here, sit and talk with them in a relaxed situation. We're trying to get them to understand that this is all about winning and we want to make sure that whatever we do on the field, off the field and everything we do every single day is about winning."

"I don't bite. I might bark a little bit, but I don't bite."

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/story/zimmer-enjoys-his-welcome-to-minnesota-moment-021114

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: