Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Commander Zim & Air Turner Mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Commander Zim & Air Turner Mock Reply with quote

NEEDS BASED ON THE OFFENSIVE TENDENCIES OF NORV TURNER AND THE AIR CORYELL OFFENSE

Strong armed QB, who must stand tall in the pocket, and make big time throws down the field.

Versatile, dual threat third down RB.

Elimination of the Fullback.

Big bodied, jump ball receiver who can make plays down the field.

More speed at Tight End.

Improvement at Left Guard, specifically in the area of pass protection with more 5-7 step drops implemented.

NEEDS BASED ON THE DEFENSIVE TENDENCIES OF MIKE ZIMMER

Big bodied Nose Tackle who is a presence in the run game and can push the pocket in the passing game.

Physical, downhill, run defenders at WLB and MLB.

Strong, stout and physical SLB.

Man coverage Cornerbacks are essential, being physical at the line is a plus.

A Strong Safety that can play physical in the box as a run defender and against Tight Ends will be desired.

FREE AGENTS NOT RETURNING

QB Josh Freeman – UFA
RB Toby Gerhart – UFA
WR Jerome Simpson – UFA
WR Joe Webb – UFA
OT J’Marcus Webb – UFA
DE Jared Allen – UFA
DT Kevin Williams – UFA
DT Fred Evans – UFA
LB Marvin Mitchell – UFA
LB Desmond Bishop – UFA
LB Larry Dean – RFA – Not Tendered
CB Chris Cook – UFA

Estimated available salary cap space with all expiring contracts equals $30,000,000

SALARY CAP CASUALTIES

Resulting salary cap space gained is shown below.

QB Christian Ponder – $0.00
FB Jerome Felton - $1,666,666
TE John Carlson – $2,000,000
LB Erin Henderson –$2,000,000

CONTRACTS RESTRUCTURED

LB Chad Greenway – Base salary reduced to $3,200,000 in 2014

Greenway agrees to slash his base salary in half for the remainder of his contract, while moving this portion to miscellaneous bonuses (unlikely to be earned). Rather than uprooting to a new team, Greenway agrees to a team friendly pay-cut.

Total salary cap space now available is approximately $39,000,000.

FREE AGENTS RESIGNED

OL Charlie Johnson – UFA – 2 years; $2,500,000
OL Joe Berger – UFA – 1 year; $950,000
DE Everson Griffen – UFA – 4 years; $26,000,000
CB Marcus Sherels – RFA – 1 year; $1,800,000

Salary cap space spent on resigned players equals $12,000,000.

FREE AGENTS ACQUIRED

NT B.J. Raji – UFA; Green Bay – 4 years; $34,000,000
CB Nolan Carroll – UFA; Miami – 3 years; $14,000,000
DE Matt Shaughnessy – UFA; Arizona – 2 years; $4,500,000
LB Larry English – UFA; San Diego – 1 year; $900,000
QB Charlie Whitehurst – UFA; San Diego - 1 year; $1,200,00

B.J. Raji was once a dominant player but he has become complacent with the coaching staff in Green Bay and the defensive scheme implemented. Raji is not likely to return to the Packers and has expressed a desire to play in a more aggressive 4-3 defensive alignment. Zimmer’s defense should be a good fit for Raji where he will be given more opportunities to get after the QB. Raji moves very well for a big man and should be a major improvement over Letroy Guion at Nose Tackle. I trust Zimmer to light a fire under Raji.

Nolan Carroll has good size (6-1 205) and 22 total starts the past two seasons. Carroll worked his way from being a reserve CB to a solid starter. Carroll has demonstrated good ball skills with a solid number of pass breakup and Interceptions. Carroll is considered a mid level free agent and will be an opening day starter at RCB.

Matt Shaughnessy has great size at 6-5 280, and is a classic fit at Left End for Zimmer’s defense. Shaughnnessy is a strong run defender but is limited as a pass rusher. Shaughnessy started at SLB for the Cardinals last year and he could get worked into that role with the Vikings. Shaughnessy could also push Brian Robison at Left End, depending on what they want from the position.

Larry English was a former first round pick of the Chargers when Norv Turner was the head coach. English is definitely a reclamation project as a former first round bust, but he does possess a skill set that could allow him to be a good fit at SLB. English has proven to be an ineffective pass rusher, however, he is strong at the point of attack and might be a viable option as a part time SLB, similar to how James Harrison and Manny Lawson were used with the Bengals. Zimmer has a history of taking team’s castoffs and former busts and turning that into productive players within the system. English also grew up near Zimmer’s hometown, perhaps the Illinois connection will bring English back to the Midwest. English has a club option fifth season, but I expect the Chargers to move on.

Charlie Whitehurst has been a long-time clipboard holder under Turner and commonly goes by the nickname “clipboard Jesus” on this forum. Whitehurst brings a wealth of experience in Turner’s offense and that should prove beneficial as Matt Cassel is groomed to start while the rookie develops. I expect Whitehurst to be the third string QB and an extension of the coaching staff.

Salary cap space spent on acquired free agents equals $17,000,000.

Post free-agency salary cap space available equals approximately $10,000,000.

NFL DRAFT

Trades

The Vikings trade a first round pick (8th overall) to the St. Louis Rams for a first round pick (13th overall), third round pick (75th overall) and a fourth round pick (106).

With little threat of a team trading into the top twelve for a QB and top talent still on the board, the Vikings take a calculated risk in moving down a few spots.

Round One

1. Houston Texans – QB Teddy Bridgewater – Louisville
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Jadeveon Clowney – South Carolina – via St. Louis
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – QB Blake Bortles – Central Florida
4. Cleveland Browns – QB Johnny Manziel – Texas A&M
5. Oakland Raiders – LB Anthony Barr – UCLA
6. Atlanta Falcons – OT Jake Matthews – Texas A&M
7. St. Louis Rams – WR Sammy Watkins – Clemson – via Tampa Bay
8. St. Louis Rams – OT Greg Robinson – Auburn – via Minnesota
9. Buffalo Bills – WR Mike Evans – Texas A&M
10. Detroit Lions – LB Khalil Mack – Buffalo
11. Tennessee Titans – DE Ra’Shede Hageman – Minnesota
12. New York Giants – DE Kony Ealy – Missouri
13. Minnesota Vikings – QB Derek Carr – via St. Louis
14. Chicago Bears – CB Darqueze Dennard – Michigan State
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – OT Taylor Lewan – Michigan
16. Dallas Cowboys – DT Aaron Donald – Pittsburgh
17. Baltimore Ravens - NT Louis Nix – Notre Dame
18. New York Jets – TE Eric Ebron – North Carolina
19. Miami Dolphins – LB C.J. Mosley – Alabama
20. Arizona Cardinals – OT Cyrus Kouandjio – Alabama
21. Green Bay Packers – S Calvin Pryor – Louisville
22. Philadelphia Eagles – LEO Dee Ford – Auburn
23. Kansas City Chiefs – WR Marqise Lee – USC
24. Cincinnati Bengals – CB Justin Gilbert – Oklahoma State
25. San Diego Chargers – OT Zack Martin – Notre Dame
26. Cleveland Browns – CB Louchiez Purifoy – Florida
27. New Orleans Saints - S HaHa Clinton-Dix – Alabama
28. Carolina Panthers – WR Davante Adams – Fresno State
29. New England Patriots – TE Jace Amaro – Texas Tech
30. San Francisco 49ers – WR Odell Beckham – LSU
31. Seattle Seahawks – OG David Yankey – Stanford
32. Denver Broncos – DE Trent Murphy – Stanford

Vikings Draft Summary

1 (13) – QB Derek Carr – Fresno State – via St. Louis
2 (40) – DT DaQuan Jones – Penn State
3 (72) – LB Yawin Smallwood – Connecticut
3 (75) – CB E.J. Gaines – Missouri – via St. Louis
3 (93) – WR Brandon Coleman – Rutgers – via Seattle
4 (104) – OL Brandon Thomas – Clemson
4 (106) – DE Will Clarke – West Virginia – via St. Louis
5 (136) – RB Roderick McDowell - Clemson
6 (168) – LB Glenn Carson – Penn State
7 (200) – S Darwin Cook – West Virginia

Carr has a huge arm and throws with great velocity. He is a good system fit but will need some seasoning on the bench.

Jones will be the third Defensive Tackle off the bench, which is a valuable component of the rotation that Zimmer is expected to implement along the interior line. Jones is a good pass rusher for a DT of his size, and a pretty good run defender.

Smallwood is not the prototype from a size standpoint, but his playing style fits what Zimmer will desire at MLB. Smallwood could also get consideration at WLB if Mike Mauti emerges at MLB.

Coleman has great size at 6-6 220 and is a big play threat down the field. Coleman is a bit raw as a receiver and needs to do a better job at using his size to his advantage. Perhaps a good receivers coach can get to him.

Thomas played Left Tackle in college but will likely need to move inside at the next level.

At 6-6 270 pounds, Clarke fits Zimmer's mold at Defensive End. Clarke could be groomed to replace Brian Robison at Left End. Clarke is a stronger run defender than pass rusher at this point.

McDowell, Carson and Cook fill reserve spots, and the selection of each of these players adds to the Vikings two year run of selecting at least two players from three different schools.

FINAL ROSTER

QB (3) – Matt Cassel | Derek Carr | Charlie Whitehurst
RB (3) – Adrian Peterson | Roderick McDowell | Matt Asiata
WR (6) – Greg Jennings | Cordarrelle Patterson | Jarius Wright | Brandon Coleman | Greg Childs | Rodney Smith
TE (3) – Kyle Rudolph | Chase Ford | Rhett Ellison (FB)
OT (3) – Matt Kalil | Phil Loadholt | Charlie Johnson
OG (3) – Brandon Fusco | Brandon Thomas | Jeff Baca
C (2) – John Sullivan | Joe Berger

DE (4) – Brian Robison | Everson Griffen | Matt Shaughnessy | Will Clarke
DT (5) – B.J. Raji | Sharrif Floyd | DaQuan Jones | Letroy Guion | Kheeston Randall
OLB (4) – Chad Greenway | Larry English | Audie Cole | Gerald Hodges
MLB (3) – Yawin Smallwood | Mike Mauti | Glenn Carson
CB (6) – Xavier Rhodes | Nolan Carroll | E.J. Gaines | Shaun Prater | Marcus Sherels | Josh Robinson
S (5) – Harrison Smith | Andrew Sendejo | Jamarca Sanford | Robert Blanton | Darwin Cook

ST (3) – Blair Walsh | Jeff Locke | Cullen Loeffler

QB – Matt Cassel
RB – Adrian Peterson
FB – Rhett Ellison
WR – Greg Jennings (Flanker)
WR – Cordarrelle Patterson (Split End)
WR – Jarius Wright (Slot)
TE – Kyle Rudolph
LT – Matt Kalil
LG – Brandon Thomas
C – John Sullivan
RG – Brandon Fusco
RT – Phil Loadholt

LE – Brian Robison
NT – B.J. Raji
UT – Sharrif Floyd
RE – Everson Griffen
WLB – Chad Greenway
MLB – Yawin Smallwood
SLB – Larry English
LCB – Xavier Rhodes
FS – Harrison Smith
SS – Andrew Sendejo
RCB – Nolan Carroll
NCB – E.J. Gaines

K – Blair Walsh
P – Jeff Locke
LS – Cullen Loeffler

KR – Cordarrelle Patterson
PR – Marcus Sherels

Last edited by vikingsrule on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:44 am; edited 6 times in total
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Commander Zim & Air Turner Mock Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Trades

The Vikings trade a first round pick (8th overall) to the St. Louis Rams for a first round pick (13th overall), third round pick (75th overall) and a fourth round pick (106).

i already like it...

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always an entertaining offseason when we steal a player from our friends to the East. Laughing
Boibreezy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Raji would be severely overpaid with that contract and I don't see why St. Louis would make that trade. They are already looking to trade down from 2 to collect more picks. I think Linval Joseph would be a better sign than Raji.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Well thought out.

You may be a bit optimistic perhaps in acquiring three pricey vet FAs. I'd be more realistic in projecting 5 acquisitions, as you did, but one might be a lesser talent at a lesser cost. But, now you have a chance to edify me as to how Spielman and Brzezinski will work their magic in adding all those key pieces and depth in FA after re-signing Griffen and purging several LBs with the knowledge that they can re-fill those LB spots in FA and the draft.

Yawin Smallwood is listed at 236 and 244 in two different places. With a few weeks of special diet, including or excluding lutefisk, he can bulk up a few pounds to play MLB, but would that be necessary if you sign the right NT to line up in front of him?

I like your optimism of sliding back from 8 to 13, and still landing the best fitting QB for The "NorVikes O" ( soon to make everyone forget Air Coryell, The West Coast O, The Greatest Show on Turf and the KAO {eventually renamed 'The Wet Coat O'} )

Roddy McDowell may be too old or too stiff to back up AP. Laughing

'Brandons' overload on O! Shocked

I'm a little concerned about the DE/OLB you have Spielman signing in FA. Please alleviate my concerns so I can get to sleep without having nightmares that an Enny Green Era type DL will return to MN in 2014. Shocked

I assume the WR you drafted is a good jump ball, demolition derby type route runner.

I believe Spielman will not establish a pattern (resulting in predictability) by selecting a duo from a trio of schools each year, or a preference to draft more than 1 1st round pick each year. But he may opt for another odd pattern; e.g. stockpiling on guys named Brandon on O. Wink

Do you have any concerns that any additions to the Vikings are not going to perform as well outdoors for the next two years as they have in their collegiate setting?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boibreezy wrote:
I think Raji would be severely overpaid with that contract and I don't see why St. Louis would make that trade. They are already looking to trade down from 2 to collect more picks. I think Linval Joseph would be a better sign than Raji.

I agree that Joseph would be a better signing, but I am not confident that he will be a serious option. Joseph is actually my #1 free agent for this team. As for overpaying, that is what is going to have to happen on the free agent market if you want to land a starter. Further, Raji supposedly has a $8 million a year offer from the Packers on the table. So that is comparable to this contract. I dont expect Raji to return to GB given that he has spoken out against the defensive scheme. If he gets an opportunity to leave, I think he takes it.

St. Louis would desire to make the trade given that they have a bunch of draft picks due to trading down.

Look no further than last year when the Rams traded into the top 10 for Tavon Austin.

Around pick 13, you see a lot of the blue chip talent off the board. I think the Rams would consider trading quantity for quality if they do move down as they did.

With two top ten picks, and two second round picks (one from Tampa), St. Louis can really build a nice team for next year.

They could stay put, but Robinson wont be there and he could do so much for them as a rookie (LT, OG or RT). Jake Long may not be healthy either.
Boibreezy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Boibreezy wrote:

I agree that Joseph would be a better signing, but I am not confident that he will be a serious option. Joseph is actually my #1 free agent for this team. As for overpaying, that is what is going to have to happen on the free agent market if you want to land a starter. Further, Raji supposedly has a $8 million a year offer from the Packers on the table. So that is comparable to this contract. I dont expect Raji to return to GB given that he has spoken out against the defensive scheme. If he gets an opportunity to leave, I think he takes it.

St. Louis would desire to make the trade given that they have a bunch of draft picks due to trading down.

Look no further than last year when the Rams traded into the top 10 for Tavon Austin.

Around pick 13, you see a lot of the blue chip talent off the board. I think the Rams would consider trading quantity for quality if they do move down as they did.

With two top ten picks, and two second round picks (one from Tampa), St. Louis can really build a nice team for next year.

They could stay put, but Robinson wont be there and he could do so much for them as a rookie (LT, OG or RT). Jake Long may not be healthy either.

Even though he turned down 8 mill a year, I bet Green Bay is ecstatic he did. He has played so poorly the last couple years I don't think he warrants that type of money. I think he could be a good signing; but it would need to be a prove it deal.

As far as trading back, I like the possibility. I just don't see it happening with St. Louis. If they stay at 2 they will likely take Jake Matthews. I don't see anyone else they would trade up for. Maybe Watkins but doubtful after the Tavon trade.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rams still need a starter at WR opposite of Austin. Watkins and Austin would be a pretty dynamic duo. Brian Quick hasnt done much and Chris Givens is so-so. Its truly make or break for Sam Bradford, I wouldnt be surprised if they go all in to maximize the talent around him since there defense is great.

I dont think the Rams would take Matthews at 2 if they have a strong offer on the table for the 2nd overall pick. They still need a Tackle, which is why they traded back up to grab Robinson. I think Robinson could be viewed as a higher upside guy than Matthews.

I do agree that Raji did play poorly last year, but you have to wonder how complacent he has become over the years. His physical upside, youth and previous success likely warrants him a decent contract offer. Not many big guys who can move like him are available on the open market. Put him in a system that he wants to be in under the intense Zimmer, I think it could be what he needs to turn things around.
Boibreezy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since neither of us are in the St. Louis front office I'm just gonna drop that. Not like it makes that much of a difference either way Laughing

But for B.J., I am also a big packer fan (I know, doesn't make sense) so I have watched many games the last few years. And he doesn't show up. I don't care if you don't like the scheme or whatnot, you need to play hard and help your team. He has incredible talent but hasn't showed it sense his rookie year. As I said, I like him and wouldn't mind signing him; as long as it's a prove it contract.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really happy if this were to happen...

I think if the Browns take a QB at 4 then we should be safe to move back into the 20's hopefully for a trade somewhat like the Julio Jones trade. This would net us another 2nd rounder and give us the ability to also grab maybe Van Noy or Ford.

What about Donte Moncrief instead of Coleman? I think the 3rd is a little high for him.

Another thing I would like to add is if we get Carr I think we should try and grab his TE in the 4th, Jensen fits Norvs mold for a TE.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWG VIKE wrote:
I would be really happy if this were to happen...

I think if the Browns take a QB at 4 then we should be safe to move back into the 20's hopefully for a trade somewhat like the Julio Jones trade. This would net us another 2nd rounder and give us the ability to also grab maybe Van Noy or Ford.

The 20s might not be that safe when you consider that the Cardinals (20), Chiefs (23), Bengals (24) or the Raiders (via trade up) could all consider Carr in the first round. the furthest i would feel safe dropping would probably be in that 13-15 range.

Quote:
What about Donte Moncrief instead of Coleman? I think the 3rd is a little high for him.

Its a deep WR class, it might come down to a matter preference. Coleman impresses me more from a physical standpoint but he needs to be coached up to learn how to use that size to his advantage. A 6-6 WR that isnt consistently boxing out the DB or high pointing balls is wasting the height advantage they have. I dont know how coachable this trait is or if its simply a natural skill set.

Quote:
Another thing I would like to add is if we get Carr I think we should try and grab his TE in the 4th, Jensen fits Norvs mold for a TE.

I considered a Tight End. In the end, this draft is defense heavy. MN has two pretty good ones right now in Rudolph and Ford. I liked what Ford showed at the end of the year. Ellison as the 3rd TE isnt bad, plus he doubles as the full back.

Adding another TE means that the Vikes would likely carry one less WR or CB. Its hard to cut one of Childs or Smith, i like both of these player's upside.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The 20s might not be that safe when you consider that the Cardinals (20), Chiefs (23), Bengals (24) or the Raiders (via trade up) could all consider Carr in the first round. the furthest i would feel safe dropping would probably be in that 13-15 range.

I hear you the Cards are a bit of a wild Card, I just really want another 2nd rounder. I think if Watkins is on the board at 8 we will have a few trade partners to choose from someone like the Ravens or even the Cards either way I have complete confidence in Spielman's ability to get what he wants.
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of what you did. I have Raji in a mock that I am working on. I like the trade down and getting Carr. However, I am just not a fan of Smallwood, Jones, or Coleman so yeah... I feel those 3 players scream average backup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of stealing another player from the dark side, so in that respect, I would like to grab up Raji. People talk about how his production has dropped off, but he has been playing out of position since the last time they were in the Super Bowl. He is traditionally an UT, yet has been playing as a 5 tech end the past few years, and his production has dwindled.

Here lies the issue, if we bring him in, the only spot I think he could work for us would be at NT, but he again could be playing somewhat out of position. Do we really think he can perform at NT?

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthCountryEvo wrote:
I like the idea of stealing another player from the dark side, so in that respect, I would like to grab up Raji. People talk about how his production has dropped off, but he has been playing out of position since the last time they were in the Super Bowl. He is traditionally an UT, yet has been playing as a 5 tech end the past few years, and his production has dwindled.

Here lies the issue, if we bring him in, the only spot I think he could work for us would be at NT, but he again could be playing somewhat out of position. Do we really think he can perform at NT?

Playing as a 1 technique DE will have bit more freedom than on the edge in a 5 technique. Sure Raji will be expected to eat up space but he will also get more opportunities to rush up field. Domata Peko is a strong run defender and does a good job occupying double teams, but he also gets about 2 to 3 sacks per season. Raji is a much more physically gifted player than Peko, so I could see 4-5 sacks as possible playing from the 1 technique position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: