Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Peyton Manning wins 5th MVP award
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
There is always one dumb*** who screws it up. I still remember the dope who voted for Favre in 2007.

Yes, how dare anyone go against Lord Peyton.

The MVP doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean anyways. It's just the player with the best stats who is also on a playoff team. Maybe the guy thought Brady was more important to his team than Manning to his? Is that so absurd? The argument could definitely be made.

I know I'll just be called a "hater" or something, but whatever. Congrats to Manning.

Edit: Before the backlash ensues. Do I think Manning had the best season of any player this year? Absolutely. Do I think he was the most valuable player? probably. Do I think the notion that anyone who makes an argument against it should be called a dumbpoop? No.

Again. Congrats to Manning, I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

Last edited by xmichaelp on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:25 am; edited 2 times in total
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Does it really matter that Peyton didn't win it unanimously?
you know someone will try to hold it against him
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
chiefs82

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was his award from Week 1

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:28/Sacks:10/FF:1/FR:0
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Does it really matter that Peyton didn't win it unanimously?

For validating Peyton's season? No, it doesn't matter.

For validating the award itself and the process by which it's awarded? Yes.

Need to remove that guy's vote in the future when there may be multiple viable candidates.
Rygar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton Manning absolutely deserved the league MVP this season, and it's kind of shocking that it wasn't a unanimous vote.

With that said, I still don't think he deserved the league MVP in 2008 or 2009, or the Super Bowl XLI MVP, for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Donut wrote:
game3525 wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
So Jim Miller votes for Tom Brady because Brady's team management fielded a less competitive team around him. Peyton Manning was given a pirates bounty to work with and because he didn't need to carry the team on his back in the same way he didn't deserve the award. Makes absolutely no sense. The whole, 'most valuable to his team' aspect people throw out there is absurd. You give it to the best player in the game, usually a QB because QB is the most valuable position in the league by default. Now if you want to debate Manning/Brady on there own, go for it, but 'most valuable to his team' is the lowest form of the debate for the most important award in the sport and I'm tired of hearing it.

Funny thing is Peyton can thank this line of thinking for his 2008 and 2009 MVP.

Also a lot of people were saying he should get it the year he was on IR because Painter sucks.

They should just call the award what it is player on a playoff team w/ the best stats.

It should just go to the best player that year period. Granted they tend to do that except when it comes to Peyton Manning. He wasn't the best player in 2003, 2008, or 2009.

Usually doesn't unless the QB has the best year. RBs can have a ridiculous season and won't get it. WRs never get it and neither do defense. Only 3 non QB/RB have won the MVP(1 LBer, 1 DT and 1 kicker).

Offensive player of the yr is basically the best player on offense w/ the value to the team not mattering(or the cop out when the MVP race is close). Ideally they'd give it to the best player but seeing the result of AP teams etc... they just don't have smart enough voters to get it right anymore and will always have biases for certain players.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/429801405906685952
Quote:
I voted for Peyton Manning for MVP. Strongly considered vote for Tom Brady but was talked out of it - or into Manning - by ... Tom Brady.

So there's what Brady thinks.

Brady looks up to Manning, he's classy like that. But why are writers letting players influence their votes?

Mack on the sig
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people think a vote for Brady is so egregious then they need to implore the NFL to change the award name to 'Player of the Season' as to avoid the semantic arguments with the 'Most Valuable' wording.

Until that time, there will always be issues with people's understanding of what they are voting for - this time with Jim Miller.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
eagles101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmichaelp wrote:
game3525 wrote:
There is always one dumb*** who screws it up. I still remember the dope who voted for Favre in 2007.

The MVP doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean anyways. It's just the player with the best stats who is also on a playoff team. Maybe the guy thought Brady was more important to his team than Manning to his? Is that so absurd? The argument could definitely be made.

I know I'll just be called a "hater" or something, but whatever. Congrats to Manning.

Edit: Before the backlash ensues. Do I think Manning had the best season of any player this year? Absolutely. Do I think he was the most valuable player? probably. Do I think the notion that anyone who makes an argument against it should be called a dumbpoop? No.

its a bad argument. its most valuable player, not most valuable to their team award. if a multi billionaire offered you a million dollars and a broke hobo offered you a quarter would you take the quarter because its more valuable to the hobo then the mil from the billionaire? the award is for the player that the league would take their season over anyone else. and i think that is very true of peytons. i dont think any GM take bradys season play over peytons because the pats need brady more then the broncos needed peyton.

if you go for most valuable to their team then actual performance would be third on the list of consideration. first would be team talent, then your backup, then performance. if brady had rodgers as backup then would he not get the vote then? then he would be severely less valuable. that would make the reward the most useless award since the participation award you get in 3rd grade.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a whole lot to say here other than Congrats to Peyton.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have given OPOTY to Shady instead of having one player get both imo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmichaelp wrote:
game3525 wrote:

To me this thought process is silly. We are penalizing guys for playing with talent instead of evaluating how they play.

I like Brady, but he has no business winning this award, let alone getting a vote.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
If people think a vote for Brady is so egregious then they need to implore the NFL to change the award name to 'Player of the Season' as to avoid the semantic arguments with the 'Most Valuable' wording.

Until that time, there will always be issues with people's understanding of what they are voting for - this time with Jim Miller.

There's no understanding for Miller. He's a Boston based radio host. Let's not act like this wasn't done to keep Tom as the only unanimous winner.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:

There's no understanding for Miller. He's a Boston based radio host. Let's not act like this wasn't done to keep Tom as the only unanimous winner.

Oh please he used the same logic so many used when giving Manning previous MVPs of importance to the team. So many people here complaining about that vote probably were the same people claiming he should've won it after the Colts sucked w/o him. And don't remember anyone having any issue over Brady not getting the 50 votes in 07 and some argued Brady didn't deserve it.

Also Sirius XM is based out of Boston? He's covers the whole league.
xmichaelp wrote:

That's the logic he said he used and said it's why he voted for AD last year.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is one award I am sure we can all agree was botched. Peyton Manning? Seriously? Did these people not watch a single snap of Mike Tolbert's this season???

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: