Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HOF Announcements: Jones, Brooks, Strahan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Strahan was probably the best defensive end in his era.

I would argue Jason Taylor over him but outside of him and maybe John Abraham Strahan didn't have much competition.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel confident that Jerome will make it next year!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapp is gonna be pissed Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior committee needs to get Chuck Howley in there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:

and Mick Tinglehoff, Tommy Nobis, and Randy Gradishar
SAK11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall of Fame is too easy to get into in my opinion. I guess all these guys deserve to get in based on who's already in, but if it was the true best of the best, I think only Jones and Brook get in.
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Sapp is gonna be pissed Laughing

He apologised yesterday and admitted he was wrong. NOW i dunno if it was sincere or not or if he was just doing it to save face.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Speedyg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Walter Jones being a first-ballot HoF affect Tony Boselli? Boselli's prime was shorter due to his injury, but he was held in higher regard than Jones in his prime. The only tackle that really challenged Boselli those days as far as being #1 was Ogden. If people were talking about LTs in those days and they are not talking about Boselli and Ogden, chances are they are talking about was Munoz.

In 7 seasons, he allowed 15.5 sacks. That would be even lower than Jones' 23 over 9 if you extrapolate it (not always accurate, but its best we can do).
Catch42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

Great comeback....Haley wasn't even the best defensive player on his team.

Strahan was recognized as the best defensive player in the league. Not to say that Haley shouldn't get in because he should. But he wasn't better than Strahan.

And ummm....sorry for the HAll OF FAME, being recognized by your peers and getting more awards is important. I didn't even mention Strahan made more pro-bowls as well.

So Strahan had more sacks, was better vs the run, won more awards. But yeah Haley is better just cause....

Also if Strahan was on those 49ers and Cowboys teams I'm pretty sure he has 5 SB rings as well...maybe more.

Are you old enough to have seen Haley in his prime or are you judging completey off stats? I saw them both. Haley was the better player. He was more versatile. He could play ROLB-LOLB or LE-RE. He was a very important part of Dallas and San Francisco's Super Bowl titles. He doesn't have the stats that Strahan does but Strahan also played in 40+ more games than Haley did. Haley competed against players like Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Reggie White, Junior Seau, and Chris Doleman for those all pro awards. To discredit him because he didn't win over any of those guys is pretty short sighted.

I watched Haley's career. As for being better I remember Strahan almost singlehandedly defeating offenses like the Greatest Show on Turf. Haley while good never had that extra gear imho. And Hayley was on way better teams...and had better offenses that kept him fresh. Strahan had to deal with Danny Kanell, Dave Brown, and Kerry Collins on offense most of his career.

Strahan competed against Ray Lewis, Taylor, Brooks, and Sapp so its not like he had an easy time.

And I'm not penalizing Strahan because he was able to play in more games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

and Mick Tinglehoff, Tommy Nobis, and Randy Gradishar

And Jim Marshall

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely happy Andre Reed finally got in. He was well known for his durability and his ability to generate yards after the catch. He was not afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. He had great concentration and was a very tough player.

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch42 wrote:

Strahan competed against Ray Lewis, Taylor, Brooks, and Sapp so its not like he had an easy time.

Strahan didn't compete against those guys for all pro awards.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedyg wrote:
How does Walter Jones being a first-ballot HoF affect Tony Boselli? Boselli's prime was shorter due to his injury, but he was held in higher regard than Jones in his prime. The only tackle that really challenged Boselli those days as far as being #1 was Ogden. If people were talking about LTs in those days and they are not talking about Boselli and Ogden, chances are they are talking about was Munoz.

In 7 seasons, he allowed 15.5 sacks. That would be even lower than Jones' 23 over 9 if you extrapolate it (not always accurate, but its best we can do).

He's not getting in. He was great, but not for nearly long enough. Jones was an all time great in both pass blocking and run blocking for a long time. 7 years at OT won't cut it. He was done by age 30. It'd be like Joe Thomas retiring today. And Thomas has more All-Pros as well and I still don't think he'd make it.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Speedyg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Speedyg wrote:

He's not getting in. He was great, but not for nearly long enough. Jones was an all time great in both pass blocking and run blocking for a long time. 7 years at OT won't cut it. He was done by age 30. It'd be like Joe Thomas retiring today. And Thomas has more All-Pros as well and I still don't think he'd make it.

Boselli was more highly regarded than Thomas though. Not to mention the era that Boselli played in is considered one of the better eras as far as tackles are concerned: Ogden, Pace, Jones, and Boselli was 1 or 2 out of those 4. Then you factor in (right or wrong) that Thomas' offense has been historically bad and he has no signature playoff moment (Boselli does)

I don't think he's a sure-fire, but if Walter is first-year HOF, then how can you keep out Boselli, even if his prime is far shorter than Jones?

I think he'll have to wait much longer than Jones, obviously. But if Walter Jones is the standard of a first-year HoF is for tackles, then I'm not sure how that doesn't open the door for Boselli after several attempts.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedyg wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Speedyg wrote:

Boselli was more highly regarded than Thomas though. Not to mention the era that Boselli played in is considered one of the better eras as far as tackles are concerned: Ogden, Pace, Jones, and Boselli was 1 or 2 out of those 4. Then you factor in (right or wrong) that Thomas' offense has been historically bad and he has no signature playoff moment (Boselli does)

I don't think he's a sure-fire, but if Walter is first-year HOF, then how can you keep out Boselli, even if his prime is far shorter than Jones?

I think he'll have to wait much longer than Jones, obviously. But if Walter Jones is the standard of a first-year HoF is for tackles, then I'm not sure how that doesn't open the door for Boselli after several attempts.

It's going to be hard for Boselli. He only played the equivalent of 5.5 years. Very few guys make it in with that little time, and the ones that do really change the game. As good as her was, he didn't change the position. Jones, Pace, and Ogden were as good, but they all did it or 11-13 years.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: