Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HOF Announcements: Jones, Brooks, Strahan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
When I think HOF DE's I think Reggie White, Richard Dent, Bruce Smith.

Strahan isn't on those guys' level.

And? That doesn't make him not a HOF, if we starting thinking hall of famers must be to the levels of those guys, we would be throwing a ton of guys out.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch42 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Why? Michael Strahan was very likely the best defensive end of his era. He's a lock.

Because Haley was a better player.

That is absolutely false. Strahan was better vs the run, had more more sacks, was selected as an all pro twice as much, and was defensive player of the year.

Strahan was a defensive end his entire career. I would hope he'd have more sacks.

Obviously those season awards are the end all of this argument. Rolling Eyes
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Why? Michael Strahan was very likely the best defensive end of his era. He's a lock.

That is absolutely false. Strahan was better vs the run, had more more sacks, was selected as an all pro twice as much, and was defensive player of the year.

Strahan was a defensive end his entire career. I would hope he'd have more sacks.

Put together an argument for Haley then...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
Meh - what a horrible choice in Reed. With the log jam at WR why would he get the nod over Brown and Harrison? Not to mention, that sets the bar pretty low for modern WRs. It is one thing to let the Stealers' WRs in due to their rings - but to let in a compiler like Reed just basically rubber stamps in a bunch of mid tier WRs.

Andre Reed was never, at any point, Mid Tier. Without him the K-Gun doesn't go and the Bills do not go to four straight SB's. Period. He did a HELL of a lot more than just compile numbers. Which, is stupid because he compiled those numbers and they won a whole hell of a lot of games. It's not like he's some statistical aberration ala Jeff George.

He is mid tier when discussing the all time great WRs. He was a compiler that played 15 years and never led the league in anything. He never had a dominant stretch of seasons and never even made an AP 1st team. There are 43 WRs with more 1000 yard seasons than him. There are 71 with more 10+ TD seasons than him. There are 49 with more 1000 yard/10+ TD combined seasons than him.
PeytonNowLuck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar wrote:
PeytonNowLuck wrote:
Tony dungy should have been a 1st ballot imo.

If Bill Cowher wasn't a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, then Tony Dungy sure as hell isn't.

game3525 wrote:
Reed getting in basically opens Pandora box, now it is going to be real hard to keep guys like Hines Ward out.

There's room for "possession" WRs in the Hall of Fame too, and Hines Ward is arguably the best possession WR of the last 20 years. Hines Ward is clearly not a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, but if Art Monk and Andre Reed are in, then there's no reason Ward shouldn't be in eventually.

reckless123 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
Still don't think Strahan is a Hall of Famer. Miffed about Jerome not making it but glad to see Aeneas Williams finally made it...

But Jerome Bettis is? No surprise there.

If John Riggins is in the Hall of Fame, then there's no reason Jerome Bettis shouldn't be in, especially since Bettis and LaDainian Tomlinson are the only RBs in the top 10 all-time for both rushing yards and TD runs who aren't, and the only reason Tomlinson isn't is because he's not eligible yet.

As for Michael Strahan, I think he deserves to be in.

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Aeneas Williams is the first Arizona Cardinals player ever to make it into the hall. Couldn't be happier

Larry Fitzgerald will be the second.
Marvin harrison was a Better Possesion Wr as well as a better wr period. TBH Hines is a good to great steeler but comparative to other wr even in his era he does not deserve to be in the HOF.

2nd what makes cower so much better then Dungy. Tony Dungy who many consider the father of Tampa 2 defense did more for the bucks and colts franchises then Cowher did for the Steelers.they both only have 1 Super bowl ill give you that but cowher isnt sure far better then Dungy by any stretch of the imagination.
Catch42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

Great comeback....Haley wasn't even the best defensive player on his team.

Strahan was recognized as the best defensive player in the league. Not to say that Haley shouldn't get in because he should. But he wasn't better than Strahan.

And ummm....sorry for the HAll OF FAME, being recognized by your peers and getting more awards is important. I didn't even mention Strahan made more pro-bowls as well.

So Strahan had more sacks, was better vs the run, won more awards. But yeah Haley is better just cause....

Also if Strahan was on those 49ers and Cowboys teams I'm pretty sure he has 5 SB rings as well...maybe more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

I stand corrected.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually at the bar where Andre Reed was having the selection party yesterday. The place went nuts when he got picked. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks, Tzimisce
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you gotta get Will Shields in MAN!!!!

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar wrote:
If John Riggins is in the Hall of Fame, then there's no reason ...

By that reasoning, you must think a ton of RBs should be in.

If we used that same "low hanging fruit" argument (players from past eras with mediocre numbers) then we couldnt keep out half the RBs that retire (Riggins) half the WRs that retire (Swann) and half the QBs that retire (Namath).

I really wish people would stop using that type of argument. I understand you used the yards and TDs also, but the whole "If Old Fogey From Muskogee Got In" argument really doesnt have any place in these discussions. Those players have little to do with the modern NFL or the modern, backlogged HoF. The bar has been set higher and higher every year since those players were enshrined.

CK on the sig
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

When Haley wasn't a defensive end, he was a 3-4 outside linebacker. Not sure where you're going with that one.

There's a huge problem of perception here. Strahan was probably the best defensive end in his era. Haley is behind several other guys and it's not even close. So we're either going to believe that all of the talent at the position just fell off (unlikely, at least to such a great extent), or we're still at the point where we're judging recent players much more cynically and simply forgetting the shortcomings of older players - which happens very often.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great finally having a Falcon in the Hall of Fame. Humphrey was the ROY in 1968, a 5x 1st Team All Pro, 3x 2nd Team All Pro, 6x Pro Bowler, and has 126 1/2 sacks(unofficially) in 13 seasons.

Hopefully Tommy Nobis can get in soon. He's long overdue.

#JDI
tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all those who got in. Also another year and no Tim Brown in the Hall of Fame. Hopefully next year will be his year.
daineraider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
Congrats to all those who got in. Also another year and no Tim Brown in the Hall of Fame. Hopefully next year will be his year.

Itll be tough because Marvin Harrison is also deserving so it will probably be between one of those 2.

Sigged by Jamison
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch42 wrote:

Great comeback....Haley wasn't even the best defensive player on his team.

Strahan was recognized as the best defensive player in the league. Not to say that Haley shouldn't get in because he should. But he wasn't better than Strahan.

And ummm....sorry for the HAll OF FAME, being recognized by your peers and getting more awards is important. I didn't even mention Strahan made more pro-bowls as well.

So Strahan had more sacks, was better vs the run, won more awards. But yeah Haley is better just cause....

Also if Strahan was on those 49ers and Cowboys teams I'm pretty sure he has 5 SB rings as well...maybe more.

Are you old enough to have seen Haley in his prime or are you judging completey off stats? I saw them both. Haley was the better player. He was more versatile. He could play ROLB-LOLB or LE-RE. He was a very important part of Dallas and San Francisco's Super Bowl titles. He doesn't have the stats that Strahan does but Strahan also played in 40+ more games than Haley did. Haley competed against players like Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Reggie White, Junior Seau, and Chris Doleman for those all pro awards. To discredit him because he didn't win over any of those guys is pretty short sighted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: