Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HOF Announcements: Jones, Brooks, Strahan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catch42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

Strahan competed against Ray Lewis, Taylor, Brooks, and Sapp so its not like he had an easy time.

Strahan didn't compete against those guys for all pro awards.

He did compete against them for defensive player of the year and he won. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch42 wrote:

Only because of his inflated sack numbers that year. He didn't help the Giants get to the playoffs. Pretty sure that award has Favre's name on it too.
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

Only because of his inflated sack numbers that year. He didn't help the Giants get to the playoffs. Pretty sure that award has Favre's name on it too.

Inflated sack numbers? Is that a joke? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

This has to be trolling.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

This has to be trolling.

One of the more...puzzling things I've read on here. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

And with that your credibility is shot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

Even if we take away that last sack.

His closest competition that year was Peter Boulware, with 15 sacks.

I'm sorry you're mad but there's nothing "inflated" about his sack record.
Laughing
jetfuel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Yeah, I don't get how anyone can think Strahan doesn't belong in the HOF.

He should not be in the Hall of Fame. First off Brett Favre gave him the sack record in a season. Ahmand Greene even said it was a run play but Brett rolled out to his side and slide to the ground for Mike to tag him. What a Joke. He had plenty of other guys on the team that made him look good. He never really took over a game and once he gets doubled team he was out of the game. Tuck would get doubled and leave him one on one. Joke all over it.
organ donor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

He should not be in the Hall of Fame. First off Brett Favre gave him the sack record in a season. Ahmand Greene even said it was a run play but Brett rolled out to his side and slide to the ground for Mike to tag him. What a Joke. He had plenty of other guys on the team that made him look good. He never really took over a game and once he gets doubled team he was out of the game. Tuck would get doubled and leave him one on one. Joke all over it.

This is an awful post. Tuck wasn't even on the team till 2005. Strahan broke the record in 2001 and retired after the 2007 season. Also, how does "1" sack negate him from being a Hall Of Famer? Or everything else he did in his career? I think some people hear how he got his last sack that season and assume his other 21.5 sacks were just as easy.

Early 2000's was a lot different than it is today. Today's pass rushers are testing the record every year with it being a "passing league". It wasn't the same way in 2001 and some people forget how much harder it was back then, than it is now.
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

Most DE's can't even remain effective in the NFL at the age Strahan was when Osi hit his prime, let alone Tuck.

I guess in light of a couple of posts, I'll amend my statement to "I don't get how any non-delusional person can think Strahan doesn't belong in the HOF"

Unless...you can name the DE opposite of Strahan in 2001 without looking it up. Irrelevant though, because Brett Favre gave him all 22.5 sacks Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch42 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Catch42 wrote:

And with that your credibility is shot.

Rolling Eyes

guess we're done here

Last edited by Vikefan79 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
FloydFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Irish 11"]
Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
Don't really agree on the Guy or Reed selections.

Guy was a senior selection, not in the regular pool and I don't see why it'd be an issue unless you thought he was in the regular pool.

Don't to speak for Bob-o, but I think he's like me and can think of twenty better Seniors candidates off the top of his head than Ray Guy. Seniors committee dropped the ball this year with both candidates IMO.

I'm sorry, but Ray Guy is the best punter ever. And last time I checked, punters play football.

Ergo, the fact that it took him being voted in on the seniors committee is the far far far far far bigger joke than him being voted in at all.

He was the best punter, ever, he deserves to be in the HoF. He's deserved to be in for 30 years.

He was the most famous punter ever, aside from Sammy Baugh, whether he was the best or not is certainly open for debate. I'll quote Peter King who summarizes my sentiments pretty well in a column from Nov. 2012.

Quote:
I've always wondered why no one ever asks with the same intensity as is done for Guy, "Why isn't Jerrel Wilson in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?'' Maybe it's because he didn't hit the gondola in the Superdome with a punt once, as Guy did, according to legend. I don't know why else Wilson and Guy wouldn't be discussed with the same fervor. Wilson played 217 games, mostly for Kansas City. Guy played 207, all for Oakland. Wilson out-averaged Guy, 43.0 to 42.4. Each won three punting titles, Wilson with averages of 44.8, 44.8 and 45.5, Guy with averages of 42.2, 43.8 and 43.3. (Wilson also won two American Football League punting titles before Guy was a pro.)[\quote]

Great punter, perhaps not the greatest and certainly not a better or more important player than Chuck Howley, LC Greenwood, Johnny Robinson, Randy Gadishar, Alex Karras, Jerry Kramer, Bob Kuechenberg, Jerry Stanfel, Mick Tingelhoff, Big Daddy Lipscomb, Steve McMichael, Mike Curtis, Tommy Nobis, Jake Scott, Donnie Shell, Richie Petitbone, Mac Speedie, and Guy's teammates Ken Stabler, Lester Hayes and Cliff Branch.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with him getting in as much as I have a problem with both him and Humphrey being the Senior norms (which are generally shoe-ins, if we are honest) getting the bump to the front of the line over other more deserving players.

Sorry, but no. Guy invented hang time. He legitimately revolutionized the way Punters play the game. Distance isn't everything (see Marquette King). Guy literally sacrificed his yardage totals to become more accurate and pin people within the 20. This is just ridiculous. Give the man his due. Watch his college, early pro, and later pro film...you'll see the difference. Everything isn't about stats dude. If you want to read a great interview about it read the one they just did on ESPN (even though that network is a soap opera ever since Barry Bonds in the early 2000's). If you are considered the greatest at your position (which Guy is, like it or not) then you should be in. I believe his three rings are enough of a testament to that.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you take away the Favre sack, he still ties the all time record.

It's not like half his sacks were dives.

Not sure how you can take it away from him.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
reckless123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Even if you take away the Favre sack, he still ties the all time record.

It's not like half his sacks were dives.

Not sure how you can take it away from him.

In fact, I recently found out that Strahan actually wouldve broke the sack record a week earlier or something but Fassel didnt challenge the ruling on the field in a game earlier on in the year. His knee was down but ref ruled it as an incomplete pass. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeKw_DGPWQ

Anybody that says Strahan isnt a HOFer should be banned for a month.

To the guy that said Strahan had guys around him to take pressure off him. Just stop. Osi came in 2003 and really didnt start producing til 2005. BUT even then Strahan at the late stage in his career was still the man. Tuck came in 05 and broke out in Strahan's last year. You're clueless.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:

Anybody that says Strahan isnt a HOFer should be banned for a month.

Nobody said he wasn't a HOF'er. Just didn't deserve to go in before Haley imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: