You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HOF Announcements: Jones, Brooks, Strahan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Malik wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Yeah, I don't get how anyone can think Strahan doesn't belong in the HOF.

I can understand not counting his single season sack record as valid, but when you think of the best DE of the last 15-20 years he's going to be on everyone's short list.

And I think people devote so much energy to invalidating his sack record that they forget he still put up an all-time great season and that the guy in 2nd place that year, Peter Boulware, had just 15 sacks.

Am I, like, the only one who thinks Strahan was going to get the sack on that play anyway?

It's hard to judge without knowing Favre's intent (for instance did he decide as the ball was snapped to deliberately run into him or did he just go down to avoid a hit?).

Record or not, one sack is pretty arbitrary as far as his HOF candidacy is concerned...so are there really any arguments against him?

aceinthehouse wrote:
"I made this topic post because none of my crap comes true."
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Reed getting in basically opens Pandora box, now it is going to be real hard to keep guys like Hines Ward out.

Not being combative but I'm curious as to who else is a guy like Hines Ward.
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Reed getting in basically opens Pandora box, now it is going to be real hard to keep guys like Hines Ward out.

What I mean by "guys like Hines Ward" are players whom I think are borderline like Reed, that I thought would not get in. IMO, it is going to be difficult to say no to Hines Ward, Jimmy Smith etc, while letting Andre Reed in.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
game3525 wrote:

What I mean by "guys like Hines Ward" are players whom I think are borderline like Reed, that I thought would not get in. IMO, it is going to be difficult to say no to Hines Ward, Jimmy Smith etc, while letting Andre Reed in.

I think Smith's argument is more like Tim Brown's where as Ward has a similar argument to Reed. But, Jimmy Smith hasn't been a finalist yet despite being eligible for four years. I don't think there's a big danger of Smith making the cut.

I support Ward's candidacy as a Steelers homer moreso than thinking that he's a clear-cut Hall of Famer.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really agree on the Guy or Reed selections.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:

Guy was a senior selection, not in the regular pool and I don't see why it'd be an issue unless you thought he was in the regular pool.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

Guy was a senior selection, not in the regular pool and I don't see why it'd be an issue unless you thought he was in the regular pool.

Don't to speak for Bob-o, but I think he's like me and can think of twenty better Seniors candidates off the top of his head than Ray Guy. Seniors committee dropped the ball this year with both candidates IMO.
daineraider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Dont understand how Reed got in over Timmy Brown. Reed although good did not have the career Brown did. Happy for Brooks always liked him. And obviously Ray Guy is long overdue, but im happy he finally made it.

Reed had a HoF career. He played in Buffalo, where the winds get up to 35-40 MPH in the late winter and it hits freezing and below by mid-november, outdoors, on a team that primarily ran the ball after 1991.

Tim Brown deserves to get in, but so does Reed, does it matter at all if Brown gets in next year? Which he will, because it's obvious the NFL is trying to clear the logjam at WR.

Reed has been waiting longer, they wanted to get him in first, I don't really see what the issue is.

Not arguing that Reed was a HOF WR. If you have a better player waiting to get in who cares how long the wait is. You put the better player in 1st. I dont think you clear the log jam by putting the guy who has waited longer in. You go head to head and put the better player in.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

Don't to speak for Bob-o, but I think he's like me and can think of twenty better Seniors candidates off the top of his head than Ray Guy. Seniors committee dropped the ball this year with both candidates IMO.

I'm sorry, but Ray Guy is the best punter ever. And last time I checked, punters play football.

Ergo, the fact that it took him being voted in on the seniors committee is the far far far far far bigger joke than him being voted in at all.

He was the best punter, ever, he deserves to be in the HoF. He's deserved to be in for 30 years.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
mse326

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

Ray Guy isn't the baffling one. While you can say others are better, you can see the idea about him being the only one that is the "best" at his position and them not feeling the punters (or presumably kickers) should be completely shut out.

Humphrey is baffling. Leaving aside the merits of his case he was a senior nominee for the 2009 class. That means even then he got a yes/no vote and they voted no. Why was he nominated again and what the hell changed that now it's a yes?

#JDI
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strahan should've had to wait.

Aeneas is a top 5 corner of the modern era - about time he gets in.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a fan of Strahan getting in this quickly. He should have to wait like Chris Doleman. But given his media presence, he was shoe in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
Still don't think Strahan is a Hall of Famer. Miffed about Jerome not making it but glad to see Aeneas Williams finally made it...

But Jerome Bettis is? No surprise there.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Im not a fan of Strahan getting in this quickly. He should have to wait like Chris Doleman. But given his media presence, he was shoe in.

So you think he's a hall of famer but he should have to wait anyway?
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strahan shouldve been a first ballot anyway. He was regarded as the best DE for a decade.

Im sorry but people's opinion of Strahan are based on that sack record.

Be Humble. Sit Down.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: