You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HOF Announcements: Jones, Brooks, Strahan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EccentricFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I'm sort of meh on Reed...he straddles that line of hall of very good to me; I may have liked Brown and Harrison better.

I believe a lot of the reasoning with Reed is that he was more than just his stats. He split time with a HoF running back. Over the course of his career, the team ran the ball more than it threw it, and consequently he had fewer chances to put up stats than receivers in more pass happy offenses.

But he was very reliable when called on, was exceptional at building up YACs, and still put up solid numbers in an undomed, cold weather stadium. Beyond that, he was a great player who always had a team first mentality.

Those are the pitches that have been used for years to try to get him in, and I guess the voters finally agreed.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EccentricFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
I'm sort of meh on Reed...he straddles that line of hall of very good to me; I may have liked Brown and Harrison better.

I believe a lot of the reasoning with Reed is that he was more than just his stats. He split time with a HoF running back. Over the course of his career, the team ran the ball more than it threw it, and consequently he had fewer chances to put up stats than receivers in more pass happy offenses.

But he was very reliable when called on, was exceptional at building up YACs, and still put up solid numbers in an undomed, cold weather stadium. Beyond that, he was a great player who always had a team first mentality.

Those are the pitches that have been used for years to try to get him in, and I guess the voters finally agreed.

The good news about his enshrinement for me (aside from the fact that I liked him quite a bit as a player -- didn't really think he was HOF caliber, but whatever) is it makes Hines Ward a no-brainer enshrinee when his name hits the ballot.
Abe56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one I disagree with is Reed
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
Ray Guy got in too, happy for him.

Pro Football Talk wrote:
Your 2014 Hall of Fame class: Michael Strahan, Derrick Brooks, Walter Jones, Aeneas Williams, Andre Reed, Ray Guy, Claude Humphrey.

It's about god damn time Ray Guy got in.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't get how anyone can think Strahan doesn't belong in the HOF.

aceinthehouse wrote:
"I made this topic post because none of my crap comes true."
daineraider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont understand how Reed got in over Timmy Brown. Reed although good did not have the career Brown did. Happy for Brooks always liked him. And obviously Ray Guy is long overdue, but im happy he finally made it.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
PeytonNowLuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony dungy should have been a 1st ballot imo.

Sig by benderrodriguez
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:

I can understand not counting his single season sack record as valid, but when you think of the best DE of the last 15-20 years he's going to be on everyone's short list.
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
Dont understand how Reed got in over Timmy Brown. Reed although good did not have the career Brown did. Happy for Brooks always liked him. And obviously Ray Guy is long overdue, but im happy he finally made it.

That was my first thought as well.

aceinthehouse wrote:
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

I can understand not counting his single season sack record as valid, but when you think of the best DE of the last 15-20 years he's going to be on everyone's short list.

And I think people devote so much energy to invalidating his sack record that they forget he still put up an all-time great season and that the guy in 2nd place that year, Peter Boulware, had just 15 sacks.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:

Reed had a HoF career. He played in Buffalo, where the winds get up to 35-40 MPH in the late winter and it hits freezing and below by mid-november, outdoors, on a team that primarily ran the ball after 1991.

Tim Brown deserves to get in, but so does Reed, does it matter at all if Brown gets in next year? Which he will, because it's obvious the NFL is trying to clear the logjam at WR.

Reed has been waiting longer, they wanted to get him in first, I don't really see what the issue is.

GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Malik wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

And I think people devote so much energy to invalidating his sack record that they forget he still put up an all-time great season and that the guy in 2nd place that year, Peter Boulware, had just 15 sacks.

Am I, like, the only one who thinks Strahan was going to get the sack on that play anyway?
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed getting in basically opens Pandora box, now it is going to be real hard to keep guys like Hines Ward out.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

Am I, like, the only one who thinks Strahan was going to get the sack on that play anyway?

I guess the argument is that Favre might've thrown the ball away since it was a rollout, or at least a half-roll, but I agree. I thought it was a sack either way.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Malik wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

I don't get why people look at that play and discredit him. He had a free rush on Farve who was still in the pocket so he couldn't throw it away. Pretty much every other QB in the league would see Strahan coming off the edge at full speed and just lie down too. Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: