Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sheldon Richardson named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KingBishop


Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 2391
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about selling and promoting yourself. Heard quite an obnoxious bit from Sheldon about this. Not a peep from another player. It's like Sherman promote yourself anyway you can even if it means becoming the "bad guy". If Sherman didn't talk as much the casual fan wouldn't know who he is. But now you have people who don't even watch football talking about it. Two women I work with tuned in for the Super Bowl because they wanted to see Sherman lose and that is it. It's the Warren Sapp effect. People still talk about that broke bum because he keeps himself in the media with his ignorant comments. Sheldon deserves this though however as it usually goes to a stats guy the only change I could see is not media waking up but Richardson making himself known to them. Very smart move on his part.
_________________


Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingOfTheDot


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 5116
Location: JetLife Stadium
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast M0de wrote:
I still believe Alonso should have won the award. Yes Richardson was a beast and I am a Bills fan, but Richardson only played around 60-70% of the defensive snaps (I forgot the exact number) while Alonso did not miss one snap on defense. He played 100% of the defensive plays this year. People are sure quick to use the "I'm glad they didn't give it to the guy with better stats but the superior player on tape" argument which is nonsense because if Richardson even plays close to the number of snaps Alonso did, his production (and game tape) would suffer. And visa versa, if Alonso plays 80% of the snaps, his play would be superior. Richardson would have better stats because he played more snaps but he would not be the same player he is. Alonso's first 8 games were superior to Richardson's play but we saw the consistency dip because he was over worked and wore down. I don't fault Alonso either for this; asking a rookie to play every snap and signaling the play calls could be mentally draining.

I know it's hypothetical but it's a valid argument. It's part of the reason Pro Football Writers of America gave the award to Kiko. Richardson is a beast and I'm not discrediting his play but I'm stating why his "tape" looks better.


Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
#LuckAllDay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
barnaby8787


Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 4583
Location: Manhattan, NY
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast M0de wrote:
I still believe Alonso should have won the award. Yes Richardson was a beast and I am a Bills fan, but Richardson only played around 60-70% of the defensive snaps (I forgot the exact number) while Alonso did not miss one snap on defense. He played 100% of the defensive plays this year. People are sure quick to use the "I'm glad they didn't give it to the guy with better stats but the superior player on tape" argument which is nonsense because if Richardson even plays close to the number of snaps Alonso did, his production (and game tape) would suffer. And visa versa, if Alonso plays 80% of the snaps, his play would be superior. Richardson would have better stats because he played more snaps but he would not be the same player he is. Alonso's first 8 games were superior to Richardson's play but we saw the consistency dip because he was over worked and wore down. I don't fault Alonso either for this; asking a rookie to play every snap and signaling the play calls could be mentally draining.

I know it's hypothetical but it's a valid argument. It's part of the reason Pro Football Writers of America gave the award to Kiko. Richardson is a beast and I'm not discrediting his play but I'm stating why his "tape" looks better.
If Kiko played 80% of his snaps, while he might have been more "energetic", he'd have a 20% less chance of posting a tackle, INT, etc. The fact that Sheldon played 80% of his snaps as a d-lineman when he's constantly going at O-linemen as opposed to potentially dropping back in space is pretty remarkable; especially when the guy's close to 300 pounds. He also had 3 less tackles that JJ Watt did. 77 tackles for a 3-4 DE is insane, nevertheless for a rookie.
_________________


Props to JMG on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group