Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sheldon Richardson named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
Congrats to Richardson! He had a monster year.

I would have liked to see Ziggy Ansah get at least a vote, but he can use that as motivation for next year instead.

Ziggy should have gotten some votes for sure

Why?

What has he done this year to make anybody think he was the best rookie defender?
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Vaccaro come in 3rd, as that is where I would have placed him as well. Right behind the 2 he was behind.

Thought Kiko would've won the award but it's nice to know they're not going off of just stats with Richardson winning and Vaccaro coming in 3rd.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

I would have liked to see Ziggy Ansah get at least a vote, but he can use that as motivation for next year instead.

Why?

What has he done this year to make anybody think he was the best rookie defender?
8 sacks is nothing to scoff at.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

Why?

Okay, point being what? The argument "Player X should have received some votes" is nonsensical. It's not like the voters get together and try and parse out even representation based on the overall play of the rookie class. Each guy goes and votes for their favorite. I don't think there's a soul in this world without the last name of Ansah that thought Ziggy was the best defensive rookie this year.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Sheldon! So happy he is a Jet.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

Why?

Okay, point being what? The argument "Player X should have received some votes" is nonsensical. It's not like the voters get together and try and parse out even representation based on the overall play of the rookie class. Each guy goes and votes for their favorite. I don't think there's a soul in this world without the last name of Ansah that thought Ziggy was the best defensive rookie this year.

It was based on those who did get votes. He was just as good as some of the guys receiving some votes at the bottom

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings have never had a defensive rookie of the year. I am jealous
coors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids a stud, but I'll never like him because of the trash he talked to Georgia before their game a couple years back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

Why?

If you use that reasoning then you might as well say the same thing about Mathieu and Lotulelei. I don't think it's that unrealistic that Ziggy could have gotten a single vote. Regardless though, all I meant with my original post was that it would have been nice to see him get a vote, but obviously he has some room to grow. I don't think he's the best defensive rookie for what it's worth.
Steve the Dream

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
Him chugging down Cam Newton like he was a bottle of Yoo-Hoo sold it. That was probably the most impressuve play in the NFL this season. Guy is a monster.

Laughing That was one of those plays where I kinda just sat there in disbelief.

Richardson won me over in the preseason game against the Giants I was at. Before the play he was on the line, smacking himself in the helmet and yelling...ball's snapped and he blows up the play in the backfield. I was sold from then on lol. So happy he's a Jet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe Alonso should have won the award. Yes Richardson was a beast and I am a Bills fan, but Richardson only played around 60-70% of the defensive snaps (I forgot the exact number) while Alonso did not miss one snap on defense. He played 100% of the defensive plays this year. People are sure quick to use the "I'm glad they didn't give it to the guy with better stats but the superior player on tape" argument which is nonsense because if Richardson even plays close to the number of snaps Alonso did, his production (and game tape) would suffer. And visa versa, if Alonso plays 80% of the snaps, his play would be superior. Richardson would have better stats because he played more snaps but he would not be the same player he is. Alonso's first 8 games were superior to Richardson's play but we saw the consistency dip because he was over worked and wore down. I don't fault Alonso either for this; asking a rookie to play every snap and signaling the play calls could be mentally draining.

I know it's hypothetical but it's a valid argument. It's part of the reason Pro Football Writers of America gave the award to Kiko. Richardson is a beast and I'm not discrediting his play but I'm stating why his "tape" looks better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast M0de wrote:
I still believe Alonso should have won the award. Yes Richardson was a beast and I am a Bills fan, but Richardson only played around 60-70% of the defensive snaps (I forgot the exact number) while Alonso did not miss one snap on defense. He played 100% of the defensive plays this year. People are sure quick to use the "I'm glad they didn't give it to the guy with better stats but the superior player on tape" argument which is nonsense because if Richardson even plays close to the number of snaps Alonso did, his production (and game tape) would suffer. And visa versa, if Alonso plays 80% of the snaps, his play would be superior. Richardson would have better stats because he played more snaps but he would not be the same player he is. Alonso's first 8 games were superior to Richardson's play but we saw the consistency dip because he was over worked and wore down. I don't fault Alonso either for this; asking a rookie to play every snap and signaling the play calls could be mentally draining.

I know it's hypothetical but it's a valid argument. It's part of the reason Pro Football Writers of America gave the award to Kiko. Richardson is a beast and I'm not discrediting his play but I'm stating why his "tape" looks better.

Richardson played 80% of the snaps (880), which is a ton for a defensive lineman. Here are the only interior defensive linemen in the NFL to play more snaps than Ricahrdson:

Muhammad Wilkerson (1039)
Dontari Poe (975)
Calais Campbell (963)
Gerald McCoy (963)
JJ Watt (960)
Kyle Williams (939)
Sen'Derrick Marks (931)
Jonathan Babineaux (902)
Cam Jordan (896)
Fletcher Cox (882)

Meanwhile, 6 LBs played 100% of their team's defensive snaps and 9 more played at least 98%.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Beast M0de wrote:

Richardson played 80% of the snaps (880), which is a ton for a defensive lineman. Here are the only interior defensive linemen in the NFL to play more snaps than Ricahrdson:

Muhammad Wilkerson (1039)
Dontari Poe (975)
Calais Campbell (963)
Gerald McCoy (963)
JJ Watt (960)
Kyle Williams (939)
Sen'Derrick Marks (931)
Jonathan Babineaux (902)
Cam Jordan (896)
Fletcher Cox (882)

Meanwhile, 6 LBs played 100% of their team's defensive snaps and 9 more played at least 98%.

Glad you said it. That was literally one of the most illogical arguments I've seen on here. Trying to compare snap counts from a DL to an ILB. If Kiko got "mentally drained" then that certainly goes into his rookie season. There is no pass given for that.

And in the first 8 games, I thought the on-field play between the two was close... but Richardson still looked superior. Kiko was impressive, but not as impressive as his early season hype wpi;d've led one to believe IMO.

And honestly, I think this was Richardson's award to lose based on play, he was definitely the best rookie I saw play this season. That said, I didn't watch a single Falcons game outside of Preseason Wk2 vs the Ravens, so I didn't watch Desmond Trufant, thus I can't speculate as to his qualifications in comparison to Richardson.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 percent of snaps for a d- linemen is a lot more then 100percent snaps for a Lb A d-linemen are always involved in play , they r always in contact with a o lineman, lb. don't touch anyone on half the plays. If they are playing a zone . They can go entire 3 downs and not touch anyone. I think voters got it correct and not because someone played more or else.. Sheldon was a beast in the middle. Can't wait to see what he does , when he gets acouple years under he's belt.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would've voted for Kiko Alonso myself, but Sheldon Richardson would've been my second choice, so not a bad selection.

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: