Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Realistic free agency pickups
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:
Nix would be a good solid 2nd round pick...but not in the 1st...Dallas needs a play maker in the 1st this year...pass rushing DE or DT FS OLB WR OG...id consider Frederick a play maker last year because he can in and started as a rookie and made a difference on the OL...i dont think Nix is gonna come in and make a difference on the DL as a rookie...not like Donald Ealy Pryor Shazier Martin or Evans could...

Peace

Nix will be a top 15 pick. And I think he will make a difference on the d-line, just not in the manner in which would meet your expectations. He's a run stuffer, not a pass rusher. As a DT or a NT, he fits the role perfectly well. The issue is that he's not a "perfect" fit in a Tampa 2 defense because he's not an interior pass rusher, but that doesn't mean he isn't an impactful player.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:
Nix would be a good solid 2nd round pick...but not in the 1st...Dallas needs a play maker in the 1st this year...pass rushing DE or DT FS OLB WR OG...id consider Frederick a play maker last year because he can in and started as a rookie and made a difference on the OL...i dont think Nix is gonna come in and make a difference on the DL as a rookie...not like Donald Ealy Pryor Shazier Martin or Evans could...

Peace

Nix will be a top 15 pick. And I think he will make a difference on the d-line, just not in the manner in which would meet your expectations. He's a run stuffer, not a pass rusher. As a DT or a NT, he fits the role perfectly well. The issue is that he's not a "perfect" fit in a Tampa 2 defense because he's not an interior pass rusher, but that doesn't mean he isn't an impactful player.
Ya he is a Big man with quick feet...that is very valuable and i think he will be top 20 for sure.

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
I think Spencer at a discount coming off micro fracture surgery is realistic. I'm not saying we should do it, but we could do worse.

Let him walk. Our front office lacks the understanding that paying him on the cheap shouldn't stop us from drafting another DE high. Jerry looks at players like baseball cards rather than understanding long term strategy. To him, it's GOT IT, GOT IT, NEED IT, GOT IT, GOT IT. Re-signing Spencer basically means that we'll have a high risk injury player and we'll ignore the position in the draft because, well, GOT IT.
What if we did both? That would provide some depth at the DE position. I would like a fresh rotation consisting of (Ware and Spencer at team friendly deals), Selvie and a good rookie.

Re-read the comment in bold.
No one knows that for certain. Obviously they didnt feel the need to draft or bring anyone in after franchising him, but coming off injury he would be less reliable.
muncy54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

Ya he is a Big man with quick feet...that is very valuable and i think he will be top 20 for sure.

I feel a lot of us fans are wanting the Donald like player who can get to the QB and break down clean pockets for the QB and don't get me wrong its important. But in the same facet Dallas needs the BIG run clogger up the middle...The Bears ran two big DTs for year allowing Urlacher to roam free
Baixis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muncy54 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

I feel a lot of us fans are wanting the Donald like player who can get to the QB and break down clean pockets for the QB and don't get me wrong its important. But in the same facet Dallas needs the BIG run clogger up the middle...The Bears ran two big DTs for year allowing Urlacher to roam free

I am personally hoping and praying that we trade down and take a smaller pass-rushing DT like Easley (who I like better than Donald) AND a bigger DT like McCullers or Ellis. I also think we should take 3-4 DL total.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muncy54 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

I like Nix and would be happy because i think he would help Lee and whoever else can play LB on this team.

But Donald is my mancrush of this draft. He is so quick and disciplined and can actually play with power. He is just player.

And while i can appreciate Nix i dont think Dallas will go after a guy like him.

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:
muncy54 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

I like Nix and would be happy because i think he would help Lee and whoever else can play LB on this team.

But Donald is my mancrush of this draft. He is so quick and disciplined and can actually play with power. He is just player.

And while i can appreciate Nix i dont think Dallas will go after a guy like him.

I like Nix as well, but I don't think we'll pursue him. Jerry will convince himself that "quick twitch" guys matter, so he'll avoid a productive player. Then again, I don't think Jerry would've drafted Nix if we were still using the 3-4 defense even though he's the prototypical NT. Mainly because Jerry is too stupid to recnognize the importance of that position and how a guy like Nix can improve a defense.

Northland wrote:
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
muncy54 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

I like Nix as well, but I don't think we'll pursue him. Jerry will convince himself that "quick twitch" guys matter, so he'll avoid a productive player. Then again, I don't think Jerry would've drafted Nix if we were still using the 3-4 defense even though he's the prototypical NT. Mainly because Jerry is too stupid to recnognize the importance of that position and how a guy like Nix can improve a defense.

Between Nix and Donald who do you prefer, and would you be upset with one if chosen over the other?

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Boyz wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
muncy54 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

Between Nix and Donald who do you prefer, and would you be upset with one if chosen over the other?

I prefer Nix, but only for one reason: there are more interior pass rushing DTs in this draft than 1 technique DT/NTs. I'm a big fan of Aaron Donald, too, so don't misunderstand me. But if you told me that I could land Nix and Dominique Easley as our future DT combination, I'd take it all day long and never look back. Not only because they'd be able to play in multiple 4-3 fronts, but they can also transition into the 3-4 defense as a DE (Easley) and NT (Nix).

Northland wrote:
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Da Boyz wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
muncy54 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

I prefer Nix, but only for one reason: there are more interior pass rushing DTs in this draft than 1 technique DT/NTs. I'm a big fan of Aaron Donald, too, so don't misunderstand me. But if you told me that I could land Nix and Dominique Easley as our future DT combination, I'd take it all day long and never look back. Not only because they'd be able to play in multiple 4-3 fronts, but they can also transition into the 3-4 defense as a DE (Easley) and NT (Nix).

Gotcha, makes a lot of sense to me. I'm a homer for wanting Donald, but would be good either way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say we decided to fix our DTs like we did our CBs two years ago. We clear enough space to go after one FA and then draft another in the first round. Would you rather a combo of:

A. 1-tech Nix/Hageman and 3-tech Melton

Or

B. 1-tech Raji and 3-tech Donald

Although I am on the Donald train, I feel like A is more appealing for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:
Let's say we decided to fix our DTs like we did our CBs two years ago. We clear enough space to go after one FA and then draft another in the first round. Would you rather a combo of:

Or

Although I am on the Donald train, I feel like A is more appealing for some reason.

I have a very hard time seeing us go for guys like Raji/Nix, neither Marinelli or Kiffin uses that big guys. I have before looked at some random Kiffin teams and also the Bears with Marinelli and I've have never even seen a guy who is above 315 lbs (actually don't even think there was anyone above 310), while by far the most are under 305. If you combine that with our track record of DT's where we haven't taken a big DT for as long as I remember (unless we count the 7th round in the supplemental draft on Brent who still was smaller then both of those guys) I see very little chance we will go for guys like that for the 1tech. It doesn't fit the scheme, and our scouts/FO seems to not put big guys very high on the board (even tho that is pure speculation on my part).
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

Or

I have a very hard time seeing us go for guys like Raji/Nix, neither Marinelli or Kiffin uses that big guys. I have before looked at some random Kiffin teams and also the Bears with Marinelli and I've have never even seen a guy who is above 315 lbs (actually don't even think there was anyone above 310), while by far the most are under 305. If you combine that with our track record of DT's where we haven't taken a big DT for as long as I remember (unless we count the 7th round in the supplemental draft on Brent who still was smaller then both of those guys) I see very little chance we will go for guys like that for the 1tech. It doesn't fit the scheme, and our scouts/FO seems to not put big guys very high on the board (even tho that is pure speculation on my part).

Yes they are big bodied but they aren't "slugs" as Broadass would say. They both move well, can get after the passer and can absorb a double team. I don't have a link but I read somewhere that Raji doesn't like being a run stuffing NT, and that he wants a chance to get after the passer. Sounds like a player with something to prove in a league where you are defined by sack totals as a Dlineman. I think Nix can do the same. At the end of the day this team can't be worried about "scheme specific" players, they just need to draft players that can play. When you start eliminating players because of scheme you lose out on talent and begin the reaching process.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We passed on a top 5 player on our board last year because of scheme. No reason to think we will take a guy this year who is even less a fit unless there is some crazy value.
Baixis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

Or

Why would you buy DT when there is great depth in the draft this year? I would rather draft a combo of say, Hageman or Jernigan (keep flip-flopping on this guy) and Easley or Reid, and spend the FA money on OL or WR. Those two positions tend to take a little longer to develop, on average, IMO. Hageman, Easley, and K. Martin, 1-2-3. That would be great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: