Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Thread: Scouting Reports & Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romo2bryant wrote:
If you were the cowboys and you traded down to the 20th pick. Jernigan, Nix, Mosley, Hageman, Pryor and Ealy all there. who would you want them to take?

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:
If you were the cowboys and you traded down to the 20th pick. Jernigan, Nix, Mosley, Hageman, Pryor and Ealy all there. who would you want them to take?

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

If we trade down, it's got to be for a S or possibly a long term star runner who can take some pressure off of Romo-to-Dez and set up playaction. I would love a runner that Defenses have to account for, one that makes our playaction worthwhile once more. It's been like 5 seasons since our playaction meant anything. And Safety needs to be a high priority, and there wil lbe some good ones available in that 20-32 range.

This team would benefit more from the second or third best safety, or the first best running back, than the 5th or 6th best rusher or 3rd or 4th best DT.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

If we trade down, it's got to be for a S or possibly a long term star runner who can take some pressure off of Romo-to-Dez and set up playaction. I would love a runner that Defenses have to account for, one that makes our playaction worthwhile once more. It's been like 5 seasons since our playaction meant anything. And Safety needs to be a high priority, and there wil lbe some good ones available in that 20-32 range.

This team would benefit more from the second or third best safety, or the first best running back, than the 5th or 6th best rusher or 3rd or 4th best DT.

No RB is worth a first round pick. DT and S seem to be deep this year and that only helps out the team. It's a weak RB class though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

No RB is worth a first round pick. DT and S seem to be deep this year and that only helps out the team. It's a weak RB class though.

A deep DT and S class is exactly why you select a RB if you have the chance for the first best RB, and the alternatives are the 5th best S, DT or DE. You can get the good guys in deep draft classes later on, while the slim pickins at RB would leave us with our pick of the litter late in round 1.

Also, folks said that same thing last year..no RB worthy of Round 1 selections. But don't you think the Giants, in hindsight, would have loved Lacy at 19, given their troubles running the ball? How about Giovanni Bernard at 30 to the Rams, given their lack of playmaking most of the year? Two stud feature backs went in round 2, who were better performers than much of the first round. Yet many here said none of the RBs were any good.

Read the Football FAQ!
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

A deep DT and S class is exactly why you select a RB if you have the chance for the first best RB, and the alternatives are the 5th best S, DT or DE. You can get the good guys in deep draft classes later on, while the slim pickins at RB would leave us with our pick of the litter late in round 1.

Also, folks said that same thing last year..no RB worthy of Round 1 selections. But don't you think the Giants, in hindsight, would have loved Lacy at 19, given their troubles running the ball? How about Giovanni Bernard at 30 to the Rams, given their lack of playmaking most of the year? Two stud feature backs went in round 2, who were better performers than much of the first round. Yet many here said none of the RBs were any good.

Bernard was the only RB that I liked last year. Did he warrant a first round grade?? No I don't think he did. The value at RB has decreased over the years big time. It's just not like before. The value on lineman (offense and defense) and QB have skyrocketed. Hence why you've been seeing round 1 filled with em lately. It's all about value this time of year.

Plus I don't understand your reasoning in drafting a backup RB when we need lineman and a safety. The best way to draft is BPA based on need.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

He is not an every down back and I think the Rams are better off with Zac Stacy over Bernard IMO
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they're happy with Pugh and Ogletree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

He is not an every down back and I think the Rams are better off with Zac Stacy over Bernard IMO

He's not an everydown back because they had BJGE already, so didn't need to use him as one. But in the games where they did use him as one, he has excellent games - he has shown he can be one when called upon.

Read the Football FAQ!
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about Davon Coleman | Defensive End | ASU?

He is meeting with us.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

He is meeting with us.

From the very brief look I just took at him, certainly isn't a DE. Played exclusively 1-tech in the 2 games I watched but imo his size makes him more suited for the 3. Is pretty explosive off the ball but can't seem to capitalize off of that explosiveness. Very little pass rush repertoire. Pretty stout at the POA. Good motor. Looks like a 5-7 round pick to my untrained eye.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
MightyMouse07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

Are you being serious right now? First off the Giants had Wilson who was a first round RB. You know another RB that went in round 2? Christine Michael who did nothing this year. Just because Lacy and Bernard had some good seasons doesn't mean much when you can find a guy much later that plugs in with a good OL. Hell all RBs looked good in GB this year not just Lacy.

You don't need to waste your time with a RB in Round 1 because you can find those guys in Round 3-7 that can play really well. I mean you could draft a Round 1 RB and get F. Jones or Richardson or Mendenhall (all of which haven't/won't/never did much).

Plus we have a pretty damn good RB right now. If you want a good play-action then you need the run the ball consistently.

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMouse07 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
romo2bryant wrote:

Jernigan
Pryor
Hageman
Mosley
Ealy
Nix

Are you being serious right now? First off the Giants had Wilson who was a first round RB. You know another RB that went in round 2? Christine Michael who did nothing this year. Just because Lacy and Bernard had some good seasons doesn't mean much when you can find a guy much later that plugs in with a good OL. Hell all RBs looked good in GB this year not just Lacy.

You don't need to waste your time with a RB in Round 1 because you can find those guys in Round 3-7 that can play really well. I mean you could draft a Round 1 RB and get F. Jones or Richardson or Mendenhall (all of which haven't/won't/never did much).

Plus we have a pretty damn good RB right now. If you want a good play-action then you need the run the ball consistently.

Runnign the ball consistently is not enough to get the play-action going any longer. Teams will let you smash away for 2 yards all day long if you want to go that route, and never flinch a safety out of deep halves in expectation of that play action. But if you run with success, you force a D to bring that safety down to stop it. Then you can get 'em with the PA.

But yes, the Giants did have Wilson, who was taken the year prior. Who amounted to nothing for them. But my point was not at all about Wilson - my point was more about the three RBs who everyone said were not good enough for first round consideration, who out performed many first round selections. Many of those players who were outperformed were selected by teams who struggled to run the ball and could have benefited from one of those three - such as the Giants, or even Dallas. That was my point, and you looked past it to argue something entirely different.

Granted, Fred played pretty well and opened lanes for Murray. And Murray is not a slouch - not a star either, but no slouch. So the need was not that great. But it was there, and certainly is now more than ever - I could count 3 games minimum that, had Murray not struggled to find yards or grind out clock late in would-be wins, we could have won. Murray is no grinder, nor a star, nor here long term quite likely - having someone to fill in, late in games, or crush off at the goal line, or create big plays when blocking fails, would have made the difference between 8-8 and 10-6, easily.

And you can say that same 'you don't need a first round guy at that position' about every position. You get one first round pick, and 6 non-first round picks. So history is, every position has had HoF players, great players, good players, and role players selected later in drafts. Makes no difference the position.

If you got a guy on the board who is first best or second best at his position, and your option is guys who are fourth best, fifth best..you take that first best every time, regardless of which need is bigger. To do the opposite solely based on perceived need or later value is exactly why this team has gone 8-8 three years in a row.

Look at the big time teams every year. They draft the best guys. Giants won two SBs after picking a DE in like 3 of 4 drafts. You only play 2 DEs. But they took that third. Why? He was a top player available. Green Bay stacked up on receivers, even with great ones aboard. The Patriots have drafted so many defensive players at positions they were already pretty sound at, to the point of ludicrousy - and they are in the SB hunt every year. Why? They pick good players, regardless of where the 'need' is. Dallas, on the other hand, has selected players at positions of great need year after year. And have gone almost no where.

Read the Football FAQ!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

He is meeting with us.

I was having a discussion with a friend about whether Coleman was a draft able prospect the other day. He had a big season, especially in the second half of the year. And he's an impressive athletic specimen.

Bradford and Sutton got SOOOOO much attention from defenses, so you have to think a decent amount of his production had something to do with playing with those guys.

I think there is some definite boom or bust to him. I wouldn't mind taking him in the late rounds and seeing what Rod could do with him.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

He is meeting with us.

I was having a discussion with a friend about whether Coleman was a draft able prospect the other day. He had a big season, especially in the second half of the year. And he's an impressive athletic specimen.

Bradford and Sutton got SOOOOO much attention from defenses, so you have to think a decent amount of his production had something to do with playing with those guys.

I think there is some definite boom or bust to him. I wouldn't mind taking him in the late rounds and seeing what Rod could do with him.

I was hoping to see you comment. From what little I have read I have found out that he is very versatile and can play multiple spots on the DL. Seems like just what we would take a flyer on.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how accurate these projections are, but here are projections for Compensatory picks.

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2014/03/compensatory-selection-predictions/

Has us getting two 7ths for Jenkins and Butler.

So that would give us FIVE 7th round picks? Correct? Laughing Laughing

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: