Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dkebones' "How I think Jerry thinks" Mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Dkebones' "How I think Jerry thinks" Mock Reply with quote

Ok, so this may not necessarily be the "sexy" way that I would look for the draft to go, but trying to put myself in JR's shoes this is my attempt at a logical JR-style draft.

#12 Overall: Kony Ealy, DE, Mizzou: I think Ealy will continue to rise up draft boards and could end up being BPA on our board, PLUS being a DE that JR and team may feel that they need. With Tuck aging, Kiwi operating as a mediocre-at-best player and the jury really out on where DaMonster fits (too light to play down, and may be better suited in a rush linebacker/joker role), to me this could be the easy pick. Lots of resemblance to JPP from a measurables perspective, and played against much better competition in school with legit production.

Dark Horse #1 pick: Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt: With Joseph likely taking a hike for big money, there may be a big need to fill. Too many role players on the d-line and Donald is just a force. Likely won't be taken this high based on his measurables, but he is just a disruptive force. Penetrating ability and the fact that we have a real linebacker in Beason (to support the run) allows us to take some chances with interior rushes on the QB.

Round 2: La'El Collins, OL, LSU: Big man, versatile man. Can play either tackle position but likely finds his best position at guard. Nasty run blocker that this fast-aging interior o-line needs.

Round 3: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida: The brother of the top wideout in the draft, Watkins was overshadowed at UF by Roberson and Purifoy, but was good enough (and by all accounts gracious enough for the good of the team) to shift to safety this past season. Would have started for just about any other team in the country but just so happened to get "stuck" in the best defensive backfield in college football. This may be a little high compared to where he expected to go, but reports from the Sr Bowl were great- constantly making plays on the ball, studious hard worker. I'll take the slight reach on the "Watkins" name.

Round 4: Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin: Former walk-on who knows what its like to work hard, and a converted QB which has helped him become one of the most polished route-runners in this draft, his value to the Giants is only enhanced by his special teams ability. Though pretty lanky build, he projects as a solid #2/possession style receiver.

Round 5: Jon Halapio, G, Florida: I'm going back to the well here for my alma mater, but I think Halapio could be a great value if he falls for the 4th. Florida linemen have always been great at getting in space, especially on traps and pulls which we may see McAdoo start doing more of. Gets time to sit behind and learn from Snee to develop.

6: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma: Was one of the best CBs at the Sr Bowl before tearing his ACL. Could be a bargain opportunity late in Day 3 to get a quality player to stick on IR to "redshirt" his rookie season.

fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like this draft, but Collins didn't declare. Put in another OL and I would be happy with this. I'm high on Ealy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ealy but i feel we go offense. We were ranked 7th on defense last year plus we have a new o coordinator who's gonna want some weapons/better oline.

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! someone agrees with me! Defense is a major need. We played 5 backup quarterbacks last year. We ranked 25th in sacks.

We have no reliable DL, no reliable LB, one reliable CB, one semi reliable S. We need to completely redo our D and that starts with the DL
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
I would like this draft, but Collins didn't declare. Put in another OL and I would be happy with this. I'm high on Ealy.

Crap! how did i miss that? Anyway, I think there's a chance that one of the other big guards could be there at ~#44, but I didn't want to try and go with the "obvious" choices. In reality, there will very likely be at least two of the top 4 guards, so feel free to plug in the Yankey/Filo/Richardson/Jackson.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
I like ealy but i feel we go offense. We were ranked 7th on defense last year plus we have a new o coordinator who's gonna want some weapons/better oline.

Tuck turned down a long term deal to test free agency. DE is a HUGE hole. JPP may or may not be ready to play. So that leaves Kiwi and Moore. Ealy is a physical freak. He's raw, like JPP/Jones/Ansah, but his physical talent, athleticism, and length are off the charts.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

Tuck turned down a long term deal to test free agency. DE is a HUGE hole. JPP may or may not be ready to play. So that leaves Kiwi and Moore. Ealy is a physical freak. He's raw, like JPP/Jones/Ansah, but his physical talent, athleticism, and length are off the charts.

Im not arguing with you about ealy... I stated I liked him but I can see offense in the first with how poorly we've played on that side of the ball... eli getting manhandled... the moneythat needs to go to joseph/tuck/beason...

Trust me... I really like the defensive prospects in this draft

Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

Im not arguing with you about ealy... I stated I liked him but I can see offense in the first with how poorly we've played on that side of the ball... eli getting manhandled... the moneythat needs to go to joseph/tuck/beason...

I agree.. I think the defensive talent trumps the offensive talent... At least for the prospects we can draft. A guard and/or C, and a RB are a must, but after that... D all the way. If Ealy makes a rise ala Ansah... I'll gladly take Dennard or Gilbert... or trade down to grab Verrett

Side note.. as of now, Verrett is being mocked as a second round talent.

Personally, I would trade down to lets say 24 and then down into the beginning of the second. Pick up a couple extra second and thirds...

So lets say we trade our first for 24 then trade to 5.
And have 3 seconds and 3 thirds

And then grab Verrett, Two interior Lineman, a TE(Ebron/Amaro/AFJ)/K. Benjamin (or Coleman if he Benjamin doesn't fall), DE, RB.

I know it's more likely to snow in Hell than for this to happen, but hey its snowing like crazy in Texas. The last time my little ole town had snow was in 2006 and we had 4 inches Friday and 2 inches Tuesday. This very much reminds of a NE type move, but I think its the best decision. We have too many holes and there isn't likely to be a drool worthy talent left.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

I agree.. I think the defensive talent trumps the offensive talent... At least for the prospects we can draft. A guard and/or C, and a RB are a must, but after that... D all the way. If Ealy makes a rise ala Ansah... I'll gladly take Dennard or Gilbert... or trade down to grab Verrett

Personally, I would trade down to lets say 24 and then down into the beginning of the second. Pick up a couple extra second and thirds...

And then grab Verrett, Two interior Lineman, a TE(Ebron/Amaro/AFJ)/K. Benjamin (or Coleman if he Benjamin doesn't fall), DE, RB.

I know it's more likely to snow in Hell than for this to happen, but hey its snowing like crazy in Texas. The last time my little ole town had snow was in 2006 and we had 4 inches Friday and 2 inches Tuesday. This very much reminds of a NE type move, but I think its the best decision. We have too many holes and there isn't likely to be a drool worthy talent left.

definitely the ultimate scenario for us! I really want Ebron but think 12 is a little high as of now. He's the only offensive player worth a pick in the teens that would come in and help us.

I can only see Tuck getting a two-three year deal worth 3-4 mill. Definitely affordable for us

GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

definitely the ultimate scenario for us! I really want Ebron but think 12 is a little high as of now. He's the only offensive player worth a pick in the teens that would come in and help us.

I can only see Tuck getting a two-three year deal worth 3-4 mill. Definitely affordable for us

I'm also secretly hoping that Jared Allen has always wanted to play for the Giants and comes to us for like...$4-5 mil a year. Razz That'd improve our pass rush. Tuck/Allen/JPP. Even if Tuck and Allen are getting a little older.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

I'm also secretly hoping that Jared Allen has always wanted to play for the Giants and comes to us for like...$4-5 mil a year. Razz That'd improve our pass rush. Tuck/Allen/JPP. Even if Tuck and Allen are getting a little older.

I don't think Tuck will resign with us... He turned down an extension because he wants to test FA. Someone will probably overpay for him based on the year he had.
I want to get younger, not older. Bennet or Johnson, IMO.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

I don't think Tuck will resign with us... He turned down an extension because he wants to test FA. Someone will probably overpay for him based on the year he had.

with a lot more money going to those two... do you have a link where the giants offered tuck a contract that he turned down? as of december, they didnt offer him one yet.

plus signing bennett or johnson would put damonster on the back burner. we need to give our younger guys a chance to save money.

Id rather give the money to joseph and beason. Players you know can excel in fewells system

dkebones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:

with a lot more money going to those two... do you have a link where the giants offered tuck a contract that he turned down? as of december, they didnt offer him one yet.

plus signing bennett or johnson would put damonster on the back burner. we need to give our younger guys a chance to save money.

Id rather give the money to joseph and beason. Players you know can excel in fewells system

If anyone has any hopes of Moore playing DE next year, they better hope he's been hitting the gym and hitting it hard this off season while employing a Michael Phelps sized diet.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

This isn't true... Tuck + Osi +Strahan (2007) Tuck + Osi + JPP (2011)

When we have our nascar package/good DE rotation we win.

I misread the quote this morning, but Tuck plans to test FA regardless of the offer offered by NYG.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320427/article/ny-giants-justin-tuck-to-test-freeagent-market
https://twitter.com/hubbuchnyp/status/428884639445315584
https://twitter.com/hubbuchnyp/status/428885047131652096
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we take Martin at 12. Then we take either a CB or DT in the second. Roby could be available in the second.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: