Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How will the Vikings fill the starting WLB in 2014?
Draft the starter
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
Sign a free agent
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Promote from within (Hodges)
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
We're starvin' without Marvin...bring him back!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of the characterisitcs/responsibilites of the weakside backer in Zimmer's D?
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:
A WLB i would love the Vikings to target is Telvin Smith out of FSU; either one our 3rds or our 4th. He's on the smaller side, but has the frame to bulk up to 230-235 eventually.

Smith's speed is certain to get him drafted but teams may have to move him outside or perhaps drop him back to safety with a frame that looks packed out at 218 pounds.

Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737420/telvin-smith

for what it's worth.

This isn't an inexact sciene on my part, but lets look at two LB weigh ins from the senior bowl.

LB 1
ILB Borland Chris Wisconsin 5113 245 9 3/4 28 7/8 73 3/8

LB 2
OLB Smith Telvin Florida State 6027 218 9 5/8 34 1/8 82 1/2

To me, Borland is the epitome of a players frame that is packed out. I mean jesus, where else can you add mass on him? Most of these players like Telvin, with the longer frame and long arms, have more places to add muscle mass; the lower body is a great example. He could very well looked packed out to onlookers, but there's always something a NFL strength and conditioning coach can do with that frame.

To clarify, there is no way he'll become a 6'3 250 mike thumper in the middle, but gaining 12-15lbs, putting him at 230-235lb and keeping his speed should be easy for a NFL team to accomplish. I like the Derrick Brooks comps for this one. Could be a great Mike in a tampa 2, or a WLB in our scheme. Just fly out and make plays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: