Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How will the Vikings fill the starting WLB in 2014?
Draft the starter
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
Sign a free agent
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Promote from within (Hodges)
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
We're starvin' without Marvin...bring him back!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB Reply with quote

The Vikings will certainly have some holes to fill on their team next year. And with the head coach in place, we have a general idea of how the defense will be run.

One of those positions is the starting weakside LB. Last season was a revolving door at both MLB and WLB. Marvin Mitchell started the most games at WLB, starting 10 games. But clearly he will need to be replaced. But how? That's where your skills will come in handy.

Potential Free Agent OLBs include: Brian Orakpo (WASH), Larry English (SD), Jonathan Casillas (TB), Adam Hayward (TB), Jason Worilds (PIT), Keith Rivers (NYG), Jon Beason (NYG)

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Potential Free Agent TEs include: Brian Orakpo (WASH), Larry English (SD), Jonathan Casillas (TB), Adam Hayward (TB), Jason Worilds (PIT), Keith Rivers (NYG), Jon Beason (NYG)

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First option for me would be to offer Greenway a paycut, and move him back to the WILL position.

That's where he started his career.
kparty69

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think between Greenway, Hodges, and Cole we will be set at OLB. Cole has the versatility to play MLB or OLB. I would bring in Beason for a year or 2 to until Mauti can prove he can stay healthy. Beason also has the versatility to play MLB or OLB.
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
First option for me would be to offer Greenway a paycut, and move him back to the WILL position.

This is my sentiment as well.

Chad is a lot better player than he showed last year. He played through almost the whole season with his wrist injury, which caused him to miss a lot of tackles. In the past, he's shown to be a sure tackler. I also think he could have been over compensating for the lack of ability/talent at the other two LB positions. Greenway is not a SLB. He was drafted as a WLB, and that's where he has thrived with the Vikings. Greenway is what? 30, 31 years old? He still has plenty of football left in him.

Restructure Greenway and move him back to WLB should be the first option. If that doesn't work, then we'll need to draft one.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Potential Free Agent TEs include: Brian Orakpo (WASH), Larry English (SD), Jonathan Casillas (TB), Adam Hayward (TB), Jason Worilds (PIT), Keith Rivers (NYG), Jon Beason (NYG)

Thanks for catching that. We've been having trouble with our network here at work, so I've been a little frustrated trying to post (and missed it). In fact, this is the 2nd time I've tried to even respond to your correction. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Agreed. This is the most likely option. Depth should be added later on the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:

OLBs instead of TEs.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:

OLBs instead of TEs.

Already been pointed out.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting WLB Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:

OLBs instead of TEs.

Already been pointed out.

Je m'excuse, shows how much time I attention I spend reading other posts. Embarassed

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can find an OLB in the draft that we love, I say we go for him.

I can't see Cole or Hodges being long term options at OLB, as I only see them as depth players.

How do you guys feel about Ryan Shazier?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
If we can find an OLB in the draft that we love, I say we go for him.

I can't see Cole or Hodges being long term options at OLB, as I only see them as depth players.

I love the kid. I see him having a great career with an impact right away. He is a bit undersized tho but his speed and tackling makes up for it, if you watch a game he seems to be all over the field in coverage and in run stopping. Great coverage skills for an OLB but you dont see it in the INT catagory. but 142 tackles with 6 sacks isn't a bad year.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I like him, don't love him. I don't love him enough to use our #40 pick on him. I don't think the value is there.

A WLB i would love the Vikings to target is Telvin Smith out of FSU; either one our 3rds or our 4th. He's on the smaller side, but has the frame to bulk up to 230-235 eventually. This guy is a natural playmaker, and can absolutely fly to the ball. He's unheralded in a vaunted FSU defense, but he was their leader in the middle. The Vikings talked to him at the Senior Bowl.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
A WLB i would love the Vikings to target is Telvin Smith out of FSU; either one our 3rds or our 4th. He's on the smaller side, but has the frame to bulk up to 230-235 eventually.

Smith's speed is certain to get him drafted but teams may have to move him outside or perhaps drop him back to safety with a frame that looks packed out at 218 pounds.

Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737420/telvin-smith

for what it's worth.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
DaCDiggity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:
A WLB i would love the Vikings to target is Telvin Smith out of FSU; either one our 3rds or our 4th. He's on the smaller side, but has the frame to bulk up to 230-235 eventually.

Smith's speed is certain to get him drafted but teams may have to move him outside or perhaps drop him back to safety with a frame that looks packed out at 218 pounds.

Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737420/telvin-smith

for what it's worth.

Smith said he WONT switch to Safety...so he could fall further if he isn't even willing to consider switching

Let The Zimmer Dynasty Begin
#TeddyisReady

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: