Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 12730
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
skrILL wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
skrILL wrote:
Link - http://www.freep.com/article/20140128/SPORTS01/301280106

Quote:
Free agent Jahvid Best is suing the NFL, alleging the league "knew about the risks of head injuries suffered by players, but didnít do enough to protect them."
Best is also suing helmet-maker Riddell. Best suffered three-known concussions during his two-year NFL career, the last of which ostensibly ended his playing days in October 2011. The suit is a clear sign he's officially given up on playing again even though he's only 24. A Cal graduate, Best is joining the Golden Bears' coaching staff for 2014.

As per Rotoworld, he is suing the NFL for his concussion problems. Does he actually have a case? I'm not sure if the NFL installed their new concussion protocol before or after he retired, but I doubt he's gonna win this. He's had concussion problems back since his Cal days and he's acting like he's the only player that's suffered from the problems that arise from concussions. But let's discuss this. Anyone think he's gonna win?

I don't necessarily think he's in this to "win". Just like many females will sue athletes for "x" reason and simply want an out of court settlement, I think Best is suing the NFL because he can. It's the nature of our country to sue. America is the land of the free and home of suing thy neighbor for cash. The NFL will probably look to settle this out of court and pay Best "x" amount to avoid excess court fees.

The only thing that might make them less likely to settle and thus try to fight Best with fervor is the precedent it might set if they allow a "new" former player to win such a case. They might look to nip this in the bud before it gets going.

But I think Best might be able to be the last guy to cash in on some level.

This is the course of action I see the NFL taking. What makes you say that Best will be the last guy though? What's stopping other former NFL players from doing the same thing?

I probably should've said "one of the last" as opposed to "last", that's an error on my part.

But I think Best and maybe a few others from this "current generation" will probably be the last guys the NFL will settle with because you can make a strong argument that concussion issues weren't as well known to players just a few years back. So in addition with the lack of concussion protocol until this current CBA... you've got a lot of guys that were playing blind.

Now, however, concussion info is much more available to the public... and the NFL has more stringent concussion policies in place. You've got a QB like Kurt Warner, that just five years ago would have been killed/called soft by the media and fans for not playing a game due to concussion the previous week... whereas now a guy like Aaron Rodgers could probably sit out 2-3 weeks and the sentiment would be completely different. Would moreso be to feel bad that the player has to sit out.

One could argue that the NFL didn't do enough to provide the players with concussion information nor protect them from that concussion cultural response. Now that concussion are effecting their public image, the NFL is changing, and thus players/team will be fined for situations where improper protocol is followed to get on the field sooner. This gives them recorded instances where they can point to and say to the public, "we're not the problem... we tried our best to protect 'player x', but he simply wouldn't follow protocol"... they can pass the blame to look good for the public... whereas, at this moment, I still don't believe this current process has been in place long enough to provide the same type of credibility that it will in the future.


Except the league still hasn't acknowledged a link between CTEs/concussions/long term brain injuries to football. The NFL keeps saying we are looking into it and providing "research." The big part of the settlement is that the league wouldn't acknowledge the ailments of the players and that there is a concussion issue.

The big problem is the "research" keeps going on and on and on. There has been definitive proof but the league keeps saying that it isn't enough and they need more proof. If it comes out that the league has been purposefully delaying the research (which they undoubted are) to keep it less definitive, the players of today and tomorrow still have a case that the NFL has been delaying information.

Is there more information than there was five years ago? Yes. Has the NFL done more? Yes. Has the NFL done as much as they can to keep the players safe? No. They continually do as little as they can so long as they don't get in trouble.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redforman


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 124
Location: Pointe Place, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He knew playing football and especially in the NFL, that concussions happen. I don't see how it's the NFLs fault when its apart of their business. I don't see him winning this case. If he does, he won't get near what he wants.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeForChange


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 1816
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Lions keep Best on so he had made the minimum number of years for player Benefits and doesn't he have a job with California with coaching?

Is this a money move?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9417
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
He might have a case against Riddell if he can prove that the helmet he used was less protective than another Riddell helmet. If he can also prove that he was somehow encouraged to use the helmet he did, his case will be even better assuming he can prove the first point. Not all styles of helmets have the same type of padding, so he potentially may have grounds for the case against Riddell.


He's probably got money issues, because I doubt he thought his career was going to be as short as it was. In fact, that might actually be something he brings up in his case against the NFL.


Why...?

I was under the impression it was the player's choice about which model of helmet to wear.. just most players seem to not pick the safest helmets. If he didn't, that's on him. Or it should be.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 82392
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he came into the league after already having a concussion so its even dumber that he is complaining now. Once you get one, you are way more likely to get another one, your doctor will tell you that
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 12730
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

For one, I think the Commissioner you're thinking of here and in your previous post was Paaul Tagliabue. He was the one of the infamous "Dr. Yes", tiny sample-size concussion exploratory commissions that accomplished little more than sweeping the issue under the rug.


No I'm also thinking of Rodger. The Tagliabue administration kept Omalu research down and did the actual slandering but Rodger has frequently gone by the wayside and only reacted when there was public outcry. For instance passing aside Cantu's research until there was a slue of suicides (and then suddenly she becomes an endorsement). I know you are not naive enough to think that Rodger has done everything he could and has not tried to suppress some information from getting out. You can argue he is better than Tagliabue but he still hasn't done what was right and for one admitted there is a problem between football and CTE despite the overwhelming evidence.

The LBC wrote:
For one Rodger has still yet to do anything significant or anything at all about steroids and HGH. One of the biggest defenses of the league is that these players are drug abusers (steroids/HGH/PEDs in general) and that it is not football. While that is also on the players, it is also on the league for turning a blind eye and doing very little proactive and very reactive and at times burying the truth to keep them safe.


Again only after public outcry.


The LBC wrote:
To my knowledge the players are given a variety of helmets to select from as to what they want to wear. The fact is that a good many of them voluntarily sacrifice safety for aesthetics and "comfort".


Agree. The players need to take more responsibility but so does the league. Especially after they make statements such like we only care about player safety. If you do then make the best helmet the only available helmet. That's not a great (or valid) legal defense but it is a moral one.

Also I probably should state something, I don't think the player suing will necessarily win, I am not an expert on their cases nor am I an expert on concussions in general but I do think they have a legitimate argument and have a right to sue the league. It's up to the judges and the league eagles to determine if the league has done enough for and did not mislead the current players


The LBC wrote:
One thing I've always wondered... and yes I realize the stigma of "the college athlete" having been one myself, but still... the brain is commonly compared to a muscle and is in fact soft tissue. Repeated, violent trauma to soft tissue and muscles would, as simply logic suggests, result in lingering and potentially long-term damage. It's food for thought; I get really tired of people constantly passing the buck for responsibility and just claiming ignorance when the ignorance was just as much due to lack of effort put in to even try understanding or seeking the information themselves.


The players shouldn't also have to be experts. Players always knew walking into football that there is a risk that they might get hurt and their brain might get damaged. But what the league has done is prevent information about how much damage could happen and how easy it is for it to happen. The players rely on the league to give them the best information not the best information for the league. Do players turn a blind eye? Yes. Does the league help perpetuate the image that the league is safe and the players have nothing to worry about? Yes. It is in my opinion that the league should make the game a safe work environment. There will always be a risk playing football but the league should offer the best and latest information to the players. That in my opinion the league has willing failed at and continue to fail at despite the improvements to the safety because they do not offer the most and best safety available.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 12730
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
he came into the league after already having a concussion so its even dumber that he is complaining now. Once you get one, you are way more likely to get another one, your doctor will tell you that


He came into the league with concussions but many leagues rely on the NFL's judgement and research. If the NFL hides information from the public it trickles down to the other leagues. Other league, even the NCAA, don't have the revenue to do brain research. The NFL does and until recently (2012? 2013? can't remember) has done very little research and has rejected information from other institutions.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 22852
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
The LBC wrote:

For one, I think the Commissioner you're thinking of here and in your previous post was Paaul Tagliabue. He was the one of the infamous "Dr. Yes", tiny sample-size concussion exploratory commissions that accomplished little more than sweeping the issue under the rug.


No I'm also thinking of Rodger. The Tagliabue administration kept Omalu research down and did the actual slandering but Rodger has frequently gone by the wayside and only reacted when there was public outcry. For instance passing aside Cantu's research until there was a slue of suicides (and then suddenly she becomes an endorsement). I know you are not naive enough to think that Rodger has done everything he could and has not tried to suppress some information from getting out. You can argue he is better than Tagliabue but he still hasn't done what was right and for one admitted there is a problem between football and CTE despite the overwhelming evidence.

The LBC wrote:
For one Rodger has still yet to do anything significant or anything at all about steroids and HGH. One of the biggest defenses of the league is that these players are drug abusers (steroids/HGH/PEDs in general) and that it is not football. While that is also on the players, it is also on the league for turning a blind eye and doing very little proactive and very reactive and at times burying the truth to keep them safe.


Again only after public outcry.


The LBC wrote:
To my knowledge the players are given a variety of helmets to select from as to what they want to wear. The fact is that a good many of them voluntarily sacrifice safety for aesthetics and "comfort".


Agree. The players need to take more responsibility but so does the league. Especially after they make statements such like we only care about player safety. If you do then make the best helmet the only available helmet. That's not a great (or valid) legal defense but it is a moral one.

Also I probably should state something, I don't think the player suing will necessarily win, I am not an expert on their cases nor am I an expert on concussions in general but I do think they have a legitimate argument and have a right to sue the league. It's up to the judges and the league eagles to determine if the league has done enough for and did not mislead the current players


The LBC wrote:
One thing I've always wondered... and yes I realize the stigma of "the college athlete" having been one myself, but still... the brain is commonly compared to a muscle and is in fact soft tissue. Repeated, violent trauma to soft tissue and muscles would, as simply logic suggests, result in lingering and potentially long-term damage. It's food for thought; I get really tired of people constantly passing the buck for responsibility and just claiming ignorance when the ignorance was just as much due to lack of effort put in to even try understanding or seeking the information themselves.


The players shouldn't also have to be experts. Players always knew walking into football that there is a risk that they might get hurt and their brain might get damaged. But what the league has done is prevent information about how much damage could happen and how easy it is for it to happen. The players rely on the league to give them the best information not the best information for the league. Do players turn a blind eye? Yes. Does the league help perpetuate the image that the league is safe and the players have nothing to worry about? Yes. It is in my opinion that the league should make the game a safe work environment. There will always be a risk playing football but the league should offer the best and latest information to the players. That in my opinion the league has willing failed at and continue to fail at despite the improvements to the safety because they do not offer the most and best safety available.

Public outcry? The majority of the "public outcry" is that it's a contact sport and they don't want rules put in place that "ruin/affect the game". That's not my position that's the majority decision I've seen reflected both in the highly passionate and the layman fan football fan bases.

There should also be an acknowledgement that the NFLPA has fought admission of a fair amount of the research as well because it stands the potential to provide precedent for "teams to pay players with concussions less" - to which I ask... um why the hell shouldn't they be able to? The "less" in this case is far more tied to guaranteed monies not outright salary amounts - but if a player is less likely to be able to complete the duties of his job (to suit up and play the game) why should he be guaranteed to make as much as a more capable (in that particular respect) player? Players that have had their knees shredded multiple times end up playing on non-guaranteed vet minimum contracts because their health and ability to produce is highly questionable don't get afforded the same luxury, but no one seems to have an qualms with that.

As to the response to my last paragraph, you seem to have glazed right over the point. Simple physics and biology are simple physics and biology. It doesn't take "an expert" to figure out that suffering repeated HARD punishment is going to eventually weaken the part of the body taking the abuse. You keep hitting something hard enough, long enough it's going to break, especially when it's something like a brain which isn't exactly a hard, terribly durable thing to begin with. This is stuff taught in high school dating back to well before when I was in high school - which was nearly a decade before Jahvid Best was in high school. Steve Young figured it out - he sought out his own research and he listened to it.

Sorry, but I fail to see how Best really can plead ignorance here. In the internet age - for a player who went to a major public university and has this wonderful thing called the internet. There comes a point where if all you do is pass the buck and wait to be told everything, rather than showing initiative and seeking it out more than just superficially, you most certainly shoulder a worthwhile portion of the blame.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group