Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
skrILL


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 3735
Location: El ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions Reply with quote

Link - http://www.freep.com/article/20140128/SPORTS01/301280106

Quote:
Free agent Jahvid Best is suing the NFL, alleging the league "knew about the risks of head injuries suffered by players, but didnít do enough to protect them."
Best is also suing helmet-maker Riddell. Best suffered three-known concussions during his two-year NFL career, the last of which ostensibly ended his playing days in October 2011. The suit is a clear sign he's officially given up on playing again even though he's only 24. A Cal graduate, Best is joining the Golden Bears' coaching staff for 2014.

As per Rotoworld, he is suing the NFL for his concussion problems. Does he actually have a case? I'm not sure if the NFL installed their new concussion protocol before or after he retired, but I doubt he's gonna win this. He's had concussion problems back since his Cal days and he's acting like he's the only player that's suffered from the problems that arise from concussions. But let's discuss this. Anyone think he's gonna win?
_________________

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neumatic


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 8174
Location: Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gtfo, you know the risk when you suit up and play. I hope he loses.
_________________

Jamison. on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25793
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
Gtfo, you know the risk when you suit up and play. I hope he loses.


I don't think you understand how lawsuits work. Nobody, including Best himself, would make the case that he didn't realize there was a risk of suffering a concussion whilst playing football.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domepatrol91


Moderator
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 4957
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurting for money already, Jahvid?
_________________

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a2piece89


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 3162
Location: Redskins territory
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha if you want to sue somebody sue Kevin Barnes. tryna blame the nfl for issues you came in with Rolling Eyes. desperate for a check
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louis Friend


Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 8622
Location: San Marcos, Nicaragua
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't even use Riddell helmets in college when his concussions started, pre-NFL. He has no leg to stand on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
organ donor


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 2046
Location: Fast asleep underneath a Ford Fiesta.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Hurting for money already, Javid?


First thing I thought of. Guess he's trying to cash in while the NFL is involved in a litigation.

Shame he went out the way he did though. Was one of the most exciting RB's I've seen when he was at Cal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
Link - http://www.freep.com/article/20140128/SPORTS01/301280106

Quote:
Free agent Jahvid Best is suing the NFL, alleging the league "knew about the risks of head injuries suffered by players, but didnít do enough to protect them."
Best is also suing helmet-maker Riddell. Best suffered three-known concussions during his two-year NFL career, the last of which ostensibly ended his playing days in October 2011. The suit is a clear sign he's officially given up on playing again even though he's only 24. A Cal graduate, Best is joining the Golden Bears' coaching staff for 2014.

As per Rotoworld, he is suing the NFL for his concussion problems. Does he actually have a case? I'm not sure if the NFL installed their new concussion protocol before or after he retired, but I doubt he's gonna win this. He's had concussion problems back since his Cal days and he's acting like he's the only player that's suffered from the problems that arise from concussions. But let's discuss this. Anyone think he's gonna win?

I don't necessarily think he's in this to "win". Just like many females will sue athletes for "x" reason and simply want an out of court settlement, I think Best is suing the NFL because he can. It's the nature of our country to sue. America is the land of the free and home of suing thy neighbor for cash. The NFL will probably look to settle this out of court and pay Best "x" amount to avoid excess court fees.

The only thing that might make them less likely to settle and thus try to fight Best with fervor is the precedent it might set if they allow a "new" former player to win such a case. They might look to nip this in the bud before it gets going.

But I think Best might be able to be the last guy to cash in on some level.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skrILL


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 3735
Location: El ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
skrILL wrote:
Link - http://www.freep.com/article/20140128/SPORTS01/301280106

Quote:
Free agent Jahvid Best is suing the NFL, alleging the league "knew about the risks of head injuries suffered by players, but didnít do enough to protect them."
Best is also suing helmet-maker Riddell. Best suffered three-known concussions during his two-year NFL career, the last of which ostensibly ended his playing days in October 2011. The suit is a clear sign he's officially given up on playing again even though he's only 24. A Cal graduate, Best is joining the Golden Bears' coaching staff for 2014.

As per Rotoworld, he is suing the NFL for his concussion problems. Does he actually have a case? I'm not sure if the NFL installed their new concussion protocol before or after he retired, but I doubt he's gonna win this. He's had concussion problems back since his Cal days and he's acting like he's the only player that's suffered from the problems that arise from concussions. But let's discuss this. Anyone think he's gonna win?

I don't necessarily think he's in this to "win". Just like many females will sue athletes for "x" reason and simply want an out of court settlement, I think Best is suing the NFL because he can. It's the nature of our country to sue. America is the land of the free and home of suing thy neighbor for cash. The NFL will probably look to settle this out of court and pay Best "x" amount to avoid excess court fees.

The only thing that might make them less likely to settle and thus try to fight Best with fervor is the precedent it might set if they allow a "new" former player to win such a case. They might look to nip this in the bud before it gets going.

But I think Best might be able to be the last guy to cash in on some level.

This is the course of action I see the NFL taking. What makes you say that Best will be the last guy though? What's stopping other former NFL players from doing the same thing?
_________________

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13834
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why the judge threw out NFL/NFLPA concussion settlement and there is a reason why the NFL settled in the first place. There is a big concussion problem in the NFL and Goodell did lie about for several years and prevent concussion information from getting out. He also created a culture where those hits are celebrated. To the idiot who said, "Gtfo, you know the risk when you suit up and play. I hope he loses." You literally have no idea what you are talking about because many of the players did not know the risks only over the past few years has the information gotten out well after they set up their career and the NFL isn't exactly broadcasting that information, they had to find it on their own.

I suggest you all watch the frontline episode called league of denial.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 23797
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He better sue Kevin Barnes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCO0sRPJEZ8
_________________


chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 27651
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might have a case against Riddell if he can prove that the helmet he used was less protective than another Riddell helmet. If he can also prove that he was somehow encouraged to use the helmet he did, his case will be even better assuming he can prove the first point. Not all styles of helmets have the same type of padding, so he potentially may have grounds for the case against Riddell.


He's probably got money issues, because I doubt he thought his career was going to be as short as it was. In fact, that might actually be something he brings up in his case against the NFL.
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13834
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:


He's probably got money issues, because I doubt he thought his career was going to be as short as it was. In fact, that might actually be something he brings up in his case against the NFL.


It probably won't. It probably was the fact that the NFL downplayed the significance and frequencies of CTEs. The way they ignored and slandered scientists to prevent information from getting out that would hurt the NFLs image
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jahvid Best suing NFL/Riddell over concussions Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
skrILL wrote:
Link - http://www.freep.com/article/20140128/SPORTS01/301280106

Quote:
Free agent Jahvid Best is suing the NFL, alleging the league "knew about the risks of head injuries suffered by players, but didnít do enough to protect them."
Best is also suing helmet-maker Riddell. Best suffered three-known concussions during his two-year NFL career, the last of which ostensibly ended his playing days in October 2011. The suit is a clear sign he's officially given up on playing again even though he's only 24. A Cal graduate, Best is joining the Golden Bears' coaching staff for 2014.

As per Rotoworld, he is suing the NFL for his concussion problems. Does he actually have a case? I'm not sure if the NFL installed their new concussion protocol before or after he retired, but I doubt he's gonna win this. He's had concussion problems back since his Cal days and he's acting like he's the only player that's suffered from the problems that arise from concussions. But let's discuss this. Anyone think he's gonna win?

I don't necessarily think he's in this to "win". Just like many females will sue athletes for "x" reason and simply want an out of court settlement, I think Best is suing the NFL because he can. It's the nature of our country to sue. America is the land of the free and home of suing thy neighbor for cash. The NFL will probably look to settle this out of court and pay Best "x" amount to avoid excess court fees.

The only thing that might make them less likely to settle and thus try to fight Best with fervor is the precedent it might set if they allow a "new" former player to win such a case. They might look to nip this in the bud before it gets going.

But I think Best might be able to be the last guy to cash in on some level.

This is the course of action I see the NFL taking. What makes you say that Best will be the last guy though? What's stopping other former NFL players from doing the same thing?

I probably should've said "one of the last" as opposed to "last", that's an error on my part.

But I think Best and maybe a few others from this "current generation" will probably be the last guys the NFL will settle with because you can make a strong argument that concussion issues weren't as well known to players just a few years back. So in addition with the lack of concussion protocol until this current CBA... you've got a lot of guys that were playing blind.

Now, however, concussion info is much more available to the public... and the NFL has more stringent concussion policies in place. You've got a QB like Kurt Warner, that just five years ago would have been killed/called soft by the media and fans for not playing a game due to concussion the previous week... whereas now a guy like Aaron Rodgers could probably sit out 2-3 weeks and the sentiment would be completely different. Would moreso be to feel bad that the player has to sit out.

One could argue that the NFL didn't do enough to provide the players with concussion information nor protect them from that concussion cultural response. Now that concussion are effecting their public image, the NFL is changing, and thus players/team will be fined for situations where improper protocol is followed to get on the field sooner. This gives them recorded instances where they can point to and say to the public, "we're not the problem... we tried our best to protect 'player x', but he simply wouldn't follow protocol"... they can pass the blame to look good for the public... whereas, at this moment, I still don't believe this current process has been in place long enough to provide the same type of credibility that it will in the future.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 25585
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:


He's probably got money issues, because I doubt he thought his career was going to be as short as it was. In fact, that might actually be something he brings up in his case against the NFL.


It probably won't. It probably was the fact that the NFL downplayed the significance and frequencies of CTEs. The way they ignored and slandered scientists to prevent information from getting out that would hurt the NFLs image

For one, I think the Commissioner you're thinking of here and in your previous post was Paaul Tagliabue. He was the one of the infamous "Dr. Yes", tiny sample-size concussion exploratory commissions that accomplished little more than sweeping the issue under the rug.

The NFL has been implementing policies to be more cognizant about concussions and potential concussions received in-play since 2009... when Best entered the league. Moreover, Best was one of the principle cases for the implementation of specific protocol, such as requiring medical staff to prohibit any player knocked unconscious in the course of the game from re-entering the game thereafter.

To my knowledge the players are given a variety of helmets to select from as to what they want to wear. The fact is that a good many of them voluntarily sacrifice safety for aesthetics and "comfort".


One thing I've always wondered... and yes I realize the stigma of "the college athlete" having been one myself, but still... the brain is commonly compared to a muscle and is in fact soft tissue. Repeated, violent trauma to soft tissue and muscles would, as simply logic suggests, result in lingering and potentially long-term damage. It's food for thought; I get really tired of people constantly passing the buck for responsibility and just claiming ignorance when the ignorance was just as much due to lack of effort put in to even try understanding or seeking the information themselves.
_________________

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group