Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Mock Attempt for 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I'm pumped to see so many posters feeling the same way I do about Boyd. Not touching him til the late 4th at the soonest. And thats only if I already picked Watkins. Laughing

Ya. While I think we are checking out all of the QB's the deep interest with him could have even had more to do about Watkins and how much better he made Boyd look.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I'm pumped to see so many posters feeling the same way I do about Boyd. Not touching him til the late 4th at the soonest. And thats only if I already picked Watkins. Laughing

Late 4th? I wouldn't draft him period. Been saying that all college season. He is awful and IMO will never be much of anything in the NFL. You can't teach accuracy, you just can't.

Here is how I rank the QB's stock for anyone who cares:

Mid 1st

Manziel
Carr

Late 1st
Bortles
Bridgewater

Mid 3rd

Smith

Late 3rd

Garapollo
Mettenburger

4th round

Murray
McCarron

6th 7th round

Fales
Matthews
Renner

Undraftable

Boyd
Thomas
Morris
Price
Lynch
CrapTakula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP - you lose me with your first QB. The rest I generally agree with (although a late round flier on the clemson QB wouldn't be terrible to me) but Johnny Football absolutely terrifies me. I really strongly don't want us to draft him at all.

Edit: also, I'm really enamored with the DT you have us getting in the 2nd, but like you said, he'd be an absolute steal there. I really hope we trade up into the late first to grab him if he's even still on the board.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
BP - you lose me with your first QB. The rest I generally agree with (although a late round flier on the clemson QB wouldn't be terrible to me) but Johnny Football absolutely terrifies me. I really strongly don't want us to draft him at all.

Edit: also, I'm really enamored with the DT you have us getting in the 2nd, but like you said, he'd be an absolute steal there. I really hope we trade up into the late first to grab him if he's even still on the board.

I feel you. And honestly, I don't know that Oakland would be a good spot for Johnny. But I see him doing a lot of good things wherever he goes.

Carr would probably be my choice for Oakland. Little safer and has the tools Olsen can work with in his offense.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:

+1

respectable list outside of Manziel but I'd probably flip-flop Carr and Mnaziel. I would probably raise Mathews a round maybe also but I agree there are a lot of undraftables in this class.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:

+1

respectable list outside of Manziel but I'd probably flip-flop Carr and Mnaziel. I would probably raise Mathews a round maybe also but I agree there are a lot of undraftables in this class.

I'd flip Bridgewater with Manziel. Other than that I'd have to agree that it's a good list.

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!

On the Panthers signing Roman Harper:
Harper41 wrote:
I feel like I just walked in on my brother and my wife.

Laughing
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course.Rolling Eyes I can't wait to see TB slide while the people who are so high on him flounder for an explanation. Where are all the people who were SO high on Geno last season? Who's brave enough to detail how shocked they were, why he fell and what they learned? (Probably nothing)

of course I will be equally shocked if TB goes to Houston, but we will see.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
OakleyCap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:

I wouldn't touch Boyd at all. If we're going to draft a quarterback he needs to be better than Matt McGloin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with all the hate on Boyd? Imo he's not that much behind the top guys and for a mid-late round pick i think he's a much better value. He's not gonna be worse than mcgloin. This time last year he was a top 10 pick and now he's undraftable? Two years in a row he's put on HUGE bowl games and won, at the very least thats gotta count for something. He threw 34 TD passes to 11 Interceptions and over 3800 yards. The only guys in this years draft that have better passer ratings and threw for more yards were manziel and bridgewater. Manziel threw more picks than boyd but more td's, bridgewater threw less Interceptions, but less Tds. His QB rating for the year was 168 and his team lost two games... to florida state and south carolina.

I really don't see how he 'shouldn't be taken any higher than the 6th' or is 'undraftable'. I See a guy with immense potential and in a class of weak first round QB's that we can probably get for a 3rd or 4th and he'll more than likely offer us at least what we had last year in Pryor/McGloin.

Why Not?
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
What's with all the hate on Boyd? Imo he's not that much behind the top guys and for a mid-late round pick i think he's a much better value. He's not gonna be worse than mcgloin. This time last year he was a top 10 pick and now he's undraftable? Two years in a row he's put on HUGE bowl games and won, at the very least thats gotta count for something. He threw 34 TD passes to 11 Interceptions and over 3800 yards. The only guys in this years draft that have better passer ratings and threw for more yards were manziel and bridgewater. Manziel threw more picks than boyd but more td's, bridgewater threw less Interceptions, but less Tds. His QB rating for the year was 168 and his team lost two games... to florida state and south carolina.

I really don't see how he 'shouldn't be taken any higher than the 6th' or is 'undraftable'. I See a guy with immense potential and in a class of weak first round QB's that we can probably get for a 3rd or 4th and he'll more than likely offer us at least what we had last year in Pryor/McGloin.

Why Not?

I agree. Boyd at his best is fantastic and he can make all the throws when he gets a rhythm. People may not see it but he has an amazing arm,but is limited a bit by the offense he plays in, sort of like derek carr. Boy has wheels too and shredded the osu defense. I agree in that I wouldn't take him 1st or 2nd but he was a top 10 pick last year and played clutch in both bowl games. Good character and strikes me as a reggie guy. He needs some work, but its more small details and he reminds me of a slower russell wilson (not just because of height) with lesser decision making, but definitely not a bad thing. He could start for an NFL team. I would be more concerned about qbs who play in run dominant offenses: murray, price,mccaron. Don't get how all the positive buzz can turn so negative so fast.
sundancejoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
attack_in_s/b wrote:

Why Not?

I agree. Boyd at his best is fantastic and he can make all the throws when he gets a rhythm. People may not see it but he has an amazing arm,but is limited a bit by the offense he plays in, sort of like derek carr. Boy has wheels too and shredded the osu defense. I agree in that I wouldn't take him 1st or 2nd but he was a top 10 pick last year and played clutch in both bowl games. Good character and strikes me as a reggie guy. He needs some work, but its more small details and he reminds me of a slower russell wilson (not just because of height) with lesser decision making, but definitely not a bad thing. He could start for an NFL team. I would be more concerned about qbs who play in run dominant offenses: murray, price,mccaron. Don't get how all the positive buzz can turn so negative so fast.

I don't get why everyone's so down on Boyd either. The guy had two bad games this year, one of which was really bad because Clemson was down so big early and he tried to overcompensate. I watched quite a bit of Clemson the last two years and I was generally impressed with Boyd.

I also don't understand why anyone would be all about Carr. What did he do so well that Boyd didn't? Saw some interesting metrics on Carr (rotoworld I believe) a week or so ago. An oddly large percentage of his #s came off screen passes and his deep accuracy was considerably worse than the other three top QBs.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=540766

Everything Taj Boyd.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Of course.Rolling Eyes I can't wait to see TB slide while the people who are so high on him flounder for an explanation. Where are all the people who were SO high on Geno last season? Who's brave enough to detail how shocked they were, why he fell and what they learned? (Probably nothing)

of course I will be equally shocked if TB goes to Houston, but we will see.

I'll step forward. I was shocked Geno fell. I really liked him and thought he'd be an option for the Raiders at 3 at one point. Cooled on him the more that came out about him being a bit of a cry baby, but thought him going in round 1 was a sure thing.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundancejoe wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
attack_in_s/b wrote:

Why Not?

I don't get why everyone's so down on Boyd either. The guy had two bad games this year, one of which was really bad because Clemson was down so big early and he tried to overcompensate. I watched quite a bit of Clemson the last two years and I was generally impressed with Boyd.

I also don't understand why anyone would be all about Carr. What did he do so well that Boyd didn't? Saw some interesting metrics on Carr (rotoworld I believe) a week or so ago. An oddly large percentage of his #s came off screen passes and his deep accuracy was considerably worse than the other three top QBs.

Simple answer, he's got Jamarcus Russell like accuracy. You can't teach accuracy.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
sundancejoe wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
attack_in_s/b wrote:

Why Not?

Simple answer, he's got Jamarcus Russell like accuracy. You can't teach accuracy.

He completed 68.5% of his passes and while he did throw screens averaged 9.3 yards per attempt. I watched a lot of clemson and while watkins made some very nice play, boyd has displayed beautiful touch on some of his throws at clemson. In preseason scouting reports, many sites listed his accuracy as a plus as well. If a play is there to be made, Boyd can make it with his arm and he made some bad decisions, but then again when you throw 3 times as many touchdowns as interceptions its never bad. Again he may drop in the draft process but has some excellent traits about him and showed clutchness in as many games as he didn't. It's a plus that he's a good runner in the red zone and weighs about 230, which is very close to russell wilson.

Once again, I see nothing wrong with his accuracy. Is it really fair to judge a qb based off of limited time in the senior bowl and a few games against south carolina and florida state when he had great games against other ranked schools like georgia and osu? I don't think so. If boyd was a few inches taller, he would be a "can't miss prospect". Imo he reminds me of russell wilson though less refined in almost every aspect of his game. But, he could be better than the majority of the qbs in this draft due to his work ethic and physical skills, as well as his leadership and winningness.

I won't continue this further in this thread but I am in no way down on Boyd and if you think he has "Jamarcus like-accuracy", I don't know what you're watching. Sounds like a lazy evaluation to me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: