Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Mock Attempt for 2014
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: First Mock Attempt for 2014 Reply with quote

Hey guys, figured its' no longer too soon to release an attempt at a mock. Way i see it, we need guys that can start next season and hopefully make a difference.

**Also, i have read a few different articles that suggest we are absolutely interested in Watkins and apparently we've shown the most interest in Tajh Boyd too.

Round 1 - Sammy Watkins, WR
- I know this might be considered a bit of a luxury pick for us considering we have so many needs, but imo Watkins is the 2nd best player in the draft this year (behind Clowney) and its not as if we don't have a glaring need for playmakers on our offense. Can see him becoming a Julio Jones type receiver for us.

Round 2 - Aaron Donald, DT
- probably one of the most underrated players in the draft, Donald seems to have that rare ability to make plays on the interior line rather than just being a pure run-stuffer. IMO he's the best DT in the draft, getting him in round 2 would be a steal and he's another guy i think can start and be a difference maker next season.

Round 3 - Tajh Boyd, QB
- I'm sure there's some mixed feelings about Boyd but as everyone knows next year is a good one to be picking early for a QB. I actually think Boyd has the potential to become a great NFL QB and the similarity to Russel Wilson is definitely a factor. If Watkins is our 1st i'd say there's as good a chance as any of this happening.

Round 4 - Andre Williams, RB
- This guy is just an absolute beast with surprising quickness for such a big back. Again, i think he could come in and make plays for us from day one. Him and our 2nd round pick, Donald were both consensus all-americans for a reason.

Round 5 - Marcus Smith, DE/OLB
- Smith was the All - American defensive player of the year this year and 2nd in the NCAA in sacks. All you have to do is watch his performance at the Rose Bowl. Great value in the 5th too.

Round 6 - Richard Spencer, S
- Not really expecting too much out of our 6th round pick but this guy looks alright and can hit.

Round 7 - /

We may not have properly addressed our pass-rush, but i think Marcus Smith has a ton of potential and we can always get a guy in FA with all the money we have this year. IMO in this draft we lock down two thirds of our offensive skill positions (Watkins and Williams imo are as close to guarantees as you can find) and for a 3rd round pick i think Boyd is the best option for us and has the potential to be our 'QBOTF'. Can't say enough about Aaron Donald either.
dmac505

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I dont want to go offense with 2 of our first 3 picks, but depending on what we do in FA I could get on board.

If clowney is gone I like everyone would want to trade down, but obviously cant predict that and I would be fine, and in fact excited with the Watkins pick.

The Boyd Watkins chemistry is another thing that I would be excited about as it would help both of their transitions, but I do not know enough about Boyd at this time to make an honest evaluation.

In closing, its just to tough to evaluate a mock draft, without knowing what we do in FA first IMO.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Chali21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the third is too high for Boyd. He's waaaay too erratic in his throwing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not touching Boyd until the 6th. If we go QB there is rather have McCarron, Fales, Jimmy, or Matthews. I'd like to go G there.

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much too high for Boyd. He's a late round prospect. Also, Aaron Donald will most likely end up being a top-20 pick. Someone will fall in love with him because he's a damn good player. Size be damned.

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!

On the Panthers signing Roman Harper:
Harper41 wrote:
I feel like I just walked in on my brother and my wife.

Laughing
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray 'n Pray must be Boyds motto. I really can't see him getting draft until real late.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this but i would go aaron colvin in the 4th to stash for the secondary and get a guy like james wilder jr or crowell late. Williams is good but he did most of his work against mediocre teams and struggled against real competition. I think wilder jr and crowell in the 6th or 7th also have more experience in pro style offenses and are better in pass pro.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cant get down with a WR in the first. We have no playmakers on D.I believe in building the trenches first.Streater has Potential and so does Holmes and Moore. We have way bigger needs. Look at Seattle,Their WR's are mediocre at best and they still dominate with a good running game and solid D.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
I just cant get down with a WR in the first. We have no playmakers on D.I believe in building the trenches first.Streater has Potential and so does Holmes and Moore. We have way bigger needs. Look at Seattle,Their WR's are mediocre at best and they still dominate with a good running game and solid D.

Seattle also has the best defense in the game. Also, I don't like taking a WR in the 1st either, but honestly Watkins is an elite player, as indicated by analysts and by his tape in the big moments, and his combine (which he's gonna blow up). I don't think getting a legit #1 receiver will hurt our offense. I think it will open up looks for Holmes Moore and Streater (when we run 4 WR sets) and they will see more single coverage. It will help our development.

We are gonna get a lot of defense in free agency because it's hugely stacked, but true offensive weapons are impossible to find other than early in the draft. When is the last time a calvin johnson, randy moss, or jamaal charles hit free agency? They don't because they are so hard to find. So if you have a guy like Watkins sitting there at 5 i would totally be down with taking him because he is the BPA and a guy you can't get year in and year out. If he turns out to be the next Julio Jones, would you retract your comment?

Also I would be down with going mack or barr in the 1st and getting kelvin benjamin or aaron donald in the 2nd if they drop, but this class has a lot of talented olb/de hybrids in the 1st 3 rounds and mack and barr have their respective concerns and questions. Why take a chance when you can acquire a player in the 2nd who may put up the same stats a few years from now? I think attaochu, van noy, barr, mack, dee ford, trent murphy and carl bradford could put up identical numbers.

I just don't see what's wrong with taking a #1 receiver there. None whatsoever because I can't think of many playoff teams without one. You gotta have the guy to go to on 3rd down or who gives you teh big play. Mel Kiper said, " Oakland has lacked a player who is a constant threat to create big plays. Watkins can fill that void."

That's my rant for today...
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:

And no playmakers on O.

Way I see it, there are 2 playmakers in this class Watkins and Clowney. Land one, you did well in round one. If they are not there at 5, trade back if you can.
BABPITT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont love it but i like it .I believe Tajh Boyd we can get him in the 5th .I will love if Aaron Donald fall to us in the second round.I will go offensive line in the 3th its a good mock plus its a realistic one .For me IMO if clowney is gone sammy Watkins is my next best player in the draft Smile
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly how I would do it. Like it though with the exception of Boyd. Smith is a good player. Not sure were he fits yet though.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:

And no playmakers on O.

Way I see it, there are 2 playmakers in this class Watkins and Clowney. Land one, you did well in round one. If they are not there at 5, trade back if you can.

My point and case exactly. Its' not about what our biggest need is b/c by that measure we could pretty much pick any position. IMO a lot of guys here are still hung up on the DHB pick from however long ago, but look at how many teams have put themselves on the map w/ a great receiver. Cinci, Atlanta (Matty ice is NOT THAT good), Detroit, Cleveland....

I'm such a fan of Aaron Donald though, pray to god he lasts till the 2nd. Marcus Smith is a highly underrated passrusher as well, and with how much spending money we have this year i think a mid-round pick on a promising player and a guy like michael johnson or greg hardy in FA is a good solution for us. I also really like Safety, Calvin Pryor.... reminds me of a Kam Chancellor kinda safety.

Has anyone watched any footage on Andre Williams? Tell me this guy won't instantly make our ground game better... Imo he'd be a huge help for a team with a young QB, Williams rushed for over 2000 yards this year, he's 6'0", 225lbs, and had games where he carried the ball over 30 times, there might have been one where he had over 40!!! He had 4 games of over 200 yards rushing and one over 300!! He reminds me of the running backs of old, earl campbell, walter payton.... Just that Herculean RB that can carry the team on his back at times.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
I'm not touching Boyd until the 6th. If we go QB there is rather have McCarron, Fales, Jimmy, or Matthews. I'd like to go G there.

I don't like McCarron, imo he got way too much hype after the announcers publicly objectified his girlfriend lol.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pumped to see so many posters feeling the same way I do about Boyd. Not touching him til the late 4th at the soonest. And thats only if I already picked Watkins. Laughing

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: