Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

gopherwrestler's 2014 Minnesota Vikings Mock Draft. v2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: gopherwrestler's 2014 Minnesota Vikings Mock Draft. v2 Reply with quote

Well, now with some extra time on my hand I want to make some adjustments to my mock draft including free agents. Take the time for some comments and just any thoughts on my draft. HAVE FUN!

NEW COACHING STAFF

Head Coach: Mike Zimmer
Offensive Coordinator: Norv Turner
Defensive Coordinator: George Edwards
Quarter Back Coach: Scott Turner
Running Back Coach: Kirby Wilson
Secondary Coach: Jerry Gray

FREE AGENCY

PLAYERS LET GO:

Jared Allen
Chris Cook
Josh Freeman
Fred Evans
Joe Webb
Toby Gehardt
Marvin Mitchell
Desmond Bishop
Kevin Williams
Jerome Simpson
Christian Ponder
Larry Dean
Erin Henderson (cut)
Charlie Johnson (cut)

RESIGNED PLAYERS:

Chad Greenway (reconstructs contract and will take less money)
J'Marcus Webb
Everson Griffen
Marcus Sherels
Joe Berger

FREE AGENT PICK-UPS:

Alterraun Verner CB

-Verner follows Gray from the Tennessee Titans and comes to Minnesota to make an immediate impact at the Cornerback position. Across from Rhodes makes the Vikings secondary a little bit more of a threat. Big signing for Zimmer in his first year as Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings.

Chris Crocker S

-Crocker also joins in as another player following a Coach. He played under Zimmer for quiet a few years and he can add a little bit of Veteran leadership to the defense. He is an average player that should come cheap but can make an impact.

Paul Soliai DT

-a very solid DT at 355lbs will fit right in with Zimmers style of defense (big tackles and having a MLB that can finish up the tackle). he can plug up a hole and yet is a good tackler. he should come at a lower rate than resigning a player like Kevin Williams and yet can still make plays and play every down.

Felix Jones RB

- a solid back-up to Peterson if we do not resign Gerhart. he can come in and be that 3rd down back that can catch the ball out of the backfield. hes still a quick veteran that could also drop back for returns if something would happen to either Sherels or Patterson on the return game. After never having the sucsess in Dallas i'd expect him to not demand a lot of money and could be a positive player for the Vikings to pick up.

2014 NFL Draft

-Minnesota Vikings trade down with the Cincinnati Bengals. Vikings send pick #8 for the #24, #55, and #152

With the #24 Overall Pick in the first round of the NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Derek Carr Fresno State QB

-a QB that showed some promise in the senior bowl hopes to have a great impact for the Vikings. Zimmer knows he needs a Quarterback of the future and will let Carr sit for the year or let Cassel go and if he fails he will see what he can do.

Second Round #40:

Ryan Shazier Ohio State LB

-my personal favorite LB in the draft. he is all over the field and can stuff the run. very solid tackler and will help Zimmers defense immediately. One of the leaders of the Ohio St. defense ending his career with 315 total tackles. he loves contact but he does play a little "chippy". he has all of the potential to be a solid player under Zimmer and could develop into one of our best defensive players.

Second Round #55 (via Cincinnati):

Ahmad Dixon Baylor S

-the hard hitting safety would fit right in along side of Smith rotating in with Crocker at the position. he is a player that patrols the entire field and makes big plays. he did have an off the field issue that he was not charged with which did hurt him in this draft but again... he was not charged

Third Round #72:

Gabe Jackson Mississippi State OG

-with his stock rising and the Vikings in need of a guard the team picks um Jackson. another big guy with some large long arms. quick feet could help in the passing offense to keep some pressure off Carr.

Third Round #96 (via Seattle):

Stanley Jean-Baptiste Nebraska CB

-still in need of some depth at the CB position the vikings select Jean-Babtiste. kid is a big physical corner that can contest about anything. all of my family is nebraska fans and my father praised him. i myself could not disagree hes fast and big enough to keep up with some of the bigger recievers and can sit in the zone and make the open field tackles.

Fourth Round #104:

Troy Niklas Notre Dame TE

-with Carlson retiring and a injury battled Rudolph is always a worry the Vikings pick up another Notre Dame TE in Niklas. Big tough strong guy will be an excellent blocking TE and can catch the ball.

Fifth Round #136:

Jay Bromley Syracuse DT

-a guy that can hopefully come out to be the NT of the future. he tore up the gophers in the Texas Bowl demanding double team blocking. a very solid pick up for the Vikings in the fifth round. very underated player.

Fifth Round #152 (via Cincinnati):

Cody Hoffman B.Y.U. WR

-big, tall, and fast. the vikings need another deep threat at receiver if Childs end up being a fail coming off of double knee surgery. it doesnt hurt to pick him up in the late round making the Vikings have a very solid crew of receivers. (Jennings, Patterson, Wright, Childs, Hoffman)

Sixth Round #168:

Michael Schofield Michigan OL

-a lineman that really did impress me in the senior bowl and its practices. his pass blocking on some of the best prospects was excellent and he is a very large man. could be a great plug in to the Vikings Offensive line

Seventh Round #200:

Tyler Starr South Dakota DE/OLB

-small school kid that has the size and potential to be a "Starr" in the NFL. the 6'4" 255 lbs. DE/OLB was talked about by Draft Guru Mel Kiper Jr. as "versitile" and "underrated". he reminds me of clay mathews with his style of play. hard hitting and has excellent pass rush, in the East-West Shrine game practices the coaches said he looked excellent in pass coverages too.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”

Last edited by gopherwrestler on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SodakViking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love it, but what are the Bengals trading up for? It seems like we could get way more value, I mean they're moving up 16 spots...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are looking for someone to push/eventually take over for Andy Dalton. at 8 if Blake Borlets, or Johnny Manziel, are still available i could see them trying to move up. also Anthony Collins is an injury prone LT for the Bengals. they could also move up if Mathews is available at #8, they are looking to keep Dalton safe, having a Franchise, solid LT could solve that.

Value wise that's about all you will normally receive. Most likely will not receive a 2nd & 3rd or a 2nd & 4th picks.

EDIT: eliminate Bridgewater from that

Last edited by gopherwrestler on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
they are looking for someone to push/eventually take over for Andy Dalton. at 8 if Blake Borlets, Johnny Manziel, or Teddy Bridgewater are still available i could see them trying to move up. also Anthony Collins is an injury prone LT for the Bengals. they could also move up if Mathews is available at #8, they are looking to keep Dalton safe, having a Franchise, solid LT could solve that.

Value wise that's about all you will normally receive. Most likely will not receive a 2nd & 3rd or a 2nd & 4th picks.

If Bridgewater is available at 8 we are trading down why?
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
they are looking for someone to push/eventually take over for Andy Dalton. at 8 if Blake Borlets, Johnny Manziel, or Teddy Bridgewater are still available i could see them trying to move up. also Anthony Collins is an injury prone LT for the Bengals. they could also move up if Mathews is available at #8, they are looking to keep Dalton safe, having a Franchise, solid LT could solve that.

If Bridgewater is available at 8 we are trading down why?

i eliminated him from that conversation sorry! if he is available at #8 i would much rather take him than trade down.

VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok assuming Teddy is indeed gone. I don't mind the trade down and like the first five picks. Do we really need antoher TE, Turner's offense doesn't use a lot of 2TE sets does it? Perhaps a falling WR or defensive player would be a better pick?
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Ok assuming Teddy is indeed gone. I don't mind the trade down and like the first five picks. Do we really need antoher TE, Turner's offense doesn't use a lot of 2TE sets does it? Perhaps a falling WR or defensive player would be a better pick?

its more along the lines as a depth pick. With Carlson considering and Rudolph if hurt again, we do have a Rhett Ellison and a Chase Ford that can play TE. I do not have a lot of faith in Ellison but Ford did show a little bit that he can catch the ball, but again not a lot of faith in Ford. i do like the way Niklas plays and could be a solid depth added to the line-up.

The Wide Receiver Position to me is just an unneeded position with in the draft after picking up Hoffman in the Fifth. Very Solid player who i think will fit Norv Turners scheme with going down the field. I don't see Mike Davis from Texas (option in 4th round) going to fit the scheme as well and I don't see him as the player as I see Hoffman who we could pick up in the 5th round.

The Defensive Positions could be a little of a swap here tho. I could see us picking up maybe another defensive back or even a defensive end in this spot, but all-in-all I thought grabbing the TE in Niklas was a good time to grab one in the 4th Round.

VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:

its more along the lines as a depth pick. With Carlson considering and Rudolph if hurt again, we do have a Rhett Ellison and a Chase Ford that can play TE. I do not have a lot of faith in Ellison but Ford did show a little bit that he can catch the ball, but again not a lot of faith in Ford. i do like the way Niklas plays and could be a solid depth added to the line-up.

The Wide Receiver Position to me is just an unneeded position with in the draft after picking up Hoffman in the Fifth. Very Solid player who i think will fit Norv Turners scheme with going down the field. I don't see Mike Davis from Texas (option in 4th round) going to fit the scheme as well and I don't see him as the player as I see Hoffman who we could pick up in the 5th round.

The Defensive Positions could be a little of a swap here tho. I could see us picking up maybe another defensive back or even a defensive end in this spot, but all-in-all I thought grabbing the TE in Niklas was a good time to grab one in the 4th Round.

Fair enough, I'm thinking a DE propsect would be nice to groom behind/rotate with Griffen and Robison. Then i would say that is a pretty exciting first offseason for Zimmer and Co.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you have Starr in the 7th but you can never have too many good D-lineman IMO Laughing
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Adam Zimmer become the defensive coordinator. Isn't he, as of now, an un-named, defensive assistant.

George Edwards is the defensive coordinator.

Bromley also isn't a nose tackle.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we still don't have a Tight End that fits Norv Turner's scheme.

Ideally, Rudolph is the starter, but we also have a very athletic one right behind him.

Having a guy with a skillset similar to Jordan Reed or AH which we could find later in the draft would be fantastic. This would also move Rhett Ellison to Fullback full time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
When did Adam Zimmer become the defensive coordinator. Isn't he, as of now, an un-named, defensive assistant.

George Edwards is the defensive coordinator.

Bromley also isn't a nose tackle.

You're right at defensive coordinator. But Bromley did start 3 seasons at Syracuse as their nose tackle, I believe he could come into the NFL still playing nose tackle and can play DT.
Scott Shafer ran a 3-4 defense most of the year at Syracuse and that's when Bromley excelled at his highest.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bromley was much more effective when playing from the 3-technique than the 1-technique. During their game against Minnesota he would routinely slide in to the 1-tech and out to the 3-tech. From the 1-tech he would get washed away pretty easily.

His talents are best used as a 1-gap penetrator. He was quite ineffective against run when taking on double teams. Now sliding down to the 1-technique in passing situations, like we currently do with Everson Griffen, would make a lot of sense. But, as a first and second down nose tackle, Bromley would compare to Letroy Guion.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Bromley was much more effective when playing from the 3-technique than the 1-technique. During their game against Minnesota he would routinely slide in to the 1-tech and out to the 3-tech. From the 1-tech he would get washed away pretty easily.

His talents are best used as a 1-gap penetrator. He was quite ineffective against run when taking on double teams. Now sliding down to the 1-technique in passing situations, like we currently do with Everson Griffen, would make a lot of sense. But, as a first and second down nose tackle, Bromley would compare to Letroy Guion.

I believe his sack in that game came from a double team as he lined up at the zero-tech spot. In other games he did show great since playing the 1-tech. Also I do believe Floydd strived all across the d-line, from the true over the center 0-technique all the way to standing up at DE at Florida. If Bromley was showing signs of stuggle he could always slide out the 3-tech and Floyd could fill in at a 1-tech spot. Either way I see him as very good pass rushing lineman and can stop the run.

DaCDiggity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trade down value really isn't there at all to trade down 16 spots.

Let The Zimmer Dynasty Begin
#TeddyisReady

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: