Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grading The Draft: Vikings 2013 Draft Year 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
disaacs wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
7th rnd. – G Travis Bond
Was not fond of this selection.

7th rnd. – DT Everett Dawkins
I had liked this pick after draft, he was taken by another team correct (DAL/TB)

Dawkins is in Tampa and Bond is in Carolina. Both players were on the P.S. but were signed off it by other teams (Dawkins by Dallas originally). So honestly, they really were successful picks...because teams don't just pick random players off practice squads for no reason. It's because they showed something. It's just unfortunate that the Vikings were unable to keep them on their practice squad the entire season. So, to give them a F really isn't fair. Fs should be reserved for those players no longer in the NFL...i.e like Trevor Guyton.

I was pulling for Everett to be placed on the 53.
I knew that he would be picked up.
Having players plucked off your practice squad while being a bottom 5-10 team for the entire year, is managements fault in my opinion. 1 or both of them should have been promoted to the 53 once the season was essentially lost.

That's a fair point...and has been a legitimate criticism. While Spielman has been in control of the 53-man roster, I imagine he relies heavily on the coaching staff's opinion on whether someone is ready to be promoted or not...and I suspect Frazier didn't feel he was ready...and probably wanted to give Chase Baker a shot first, since he had spent the 2012 season on the PS.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the picks like Floyd and Patterson are in the "too early to tell" category. Patterson had a great year as a kick returner, but if he doesn't emerge as a force at WR it may not be such a great pick. Floyd is the sort of DT talent you have to take if he falls to you at #23, so I think that was a great pick regardless of how it pans out.

I'd give the Jeff Locke pick a D-, because the Vikings once again used a draft choice on a position they could have filled just as well with a UFA.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:

I guess I have high expectations for a Punter drafted in the 5th round, whereas most punters in the NFL go undrafted. You could have gotten the same production out of a free agent punter, instead of spending a 5th round pick on one. It's just a wasted opportunity to add an additional offensive or defensive prospect and see if you could hit on him to become a successful NFL player.

Totally agree.

The point is that the Patriots signed Ryan Allen as a UFA.

Same with Blair Walsh the year before. Good kicker. I like the guy. But the Ravens got Justin Tucker as a UFA in the same draft year.

Rhett Ellison too. Absolutely no need to use a 4th rounder on a blocking back, especially one that had drawn zero interest from other teams.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so are we saying Locke is a D- punter based on his skills, or the decision to draft him was a D- decision?

because there's a difference.

one is grading Locke, the other is grading Spielman.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
ok, so are we saying Locke is a D- punter based on his skills, or the decision to draft him was a D- decision?

The decision.

Locke looked to be about NFL average as a punter.

vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i'm wrong, but i was assuming The Gnat was grading the players, and their ability to contribute, relative to where they were chosen.

also, we don't have to discuss Ellison here, it's clearly not the intent of the topic.

Webmaster wrote:

Last edited by vike daddy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what was being graded, if we want to grade where people were drafted, we can do that immediately after the draft with our opinions, this is an on the field look at the players.

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how Locke's numbers werer better than Kluwe, since they weren't.

Floyd did nothing much at all, and was routinely pushed around. I think he's a C or "too early to judge".

I think Patterson and Rhodes are good picks. Not worried about them at all.

Judging the players, it was a good draft. Judging the resources used to acquire them, it was a bad draft for 2013, and the Floyd pick makes me nervous. If they had drafted Patterson and Rhodes, then used all those picks they traded for Patterson on LBers and OG, I'd feel like it was a great draft......
joru1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd was a C+. Hardly ever noticed him, good or bad.

Rhodes ultimately ended as a B+. He was doing great in coverage by the end of the year. Had he played like that all year he would've been an A.

Patterson was an A. He played the role we expected him to play, but exceeded it in ability.

Hodges was a D+. Couldn't even impress the coaches enough to see the field consistently as a special teams guy. Mauti, a 7th rounder, out played him. He was a 4th rounder though, so that keeps this from being a lower D.

Locke sort of underwhelmed me for a 5th round punter, so I'd say C+.

Bara was a C I guess. What do you expect from a 6th round guard?

Mauti was a B. A late round linebacker is expected to be a special teams guy, and that's what he did, often quite well.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Not sure how Locke's numbers werer better than Kluwe, since they weren't.

I went through Kluwe's last season numbers, and Locke's numbers from this season, and all the yardage markers were within a yard, and the inside the 20% was much higher for Locke, 5% higher I believe I remember, otherwise the numbers were identical. So if I said a lot better, that is wrong, but Locke's numbers were just as good, and better in some areas, Kluwe wasn't better for a noticeable amount in any major area.

thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shariff Floyd - C
Didn't make a major impact to the Vikings, and you can't fault him for that. We didn't have a guy that could line up next to him. But he showed why he slipped down the draft boards. He still a major project that hopefully Zimmer can bring to the next level. Has potential but the question is, will he ever meet that potential?

Xavier Rhodes - B+
Great pick, solid corner that should only improve. Only thing keep this from an A is no interceptions. But he has the potential to be a solid corner for years to come. Now we need to find his partner.

Cordarrelle Patterson - A
Game changer in the return game. Showed flashes of potential in the passing game. Showed some moves as a running back. Could be what we wanted with Harvin, minus the injuries. Made the most of the time he had and made an impact in the games he played. Showed a lot of potential.

Gerald Hodge - F
Did nothing -- wait, I take that back. He did record 5 tackles. You would expect him to get more playing time this year given the state of the linebackers or at least on special teams. But he might be a bust. Hopefully he rebounds next year but he did very little.

Jeff Locke - D-
Botched one snap for a field goal (which I believe also broke Walsh's record). If you're going to draft a punter, he better be one of the best punters in the league (looking at Walsh). If not, there is no reason to draft them. Locke was 23rd for punts in the 20, 18th for net average, 24th for average. Terrible. By comparison Sam Martin taken 10 picks after Locke was 6th in average punts, 10 for net average and 26th inside the 20. Worse inside the 20 but better punting average than Locke. Ryan Allen, an UDFA was better than Locke. Just a terrible decision and an average punter.

Jeff Baca - C
Not much you can give Baca. He'll be a project at this time, saw some reps, but he's a project, so can't give him more than average. He's still on the roster at least.

Michael Mauti - B-
He saw some time on special teams, which was good and had 7 more tackles than his partner. He's a work in progress but the fact he's playing says a lot. I see a lot more potential out of him than Hodges, who was healthy.

Everett Dawkins - F
Never played for the Vikings but really not a huge loss.

Travis Bond - F
Like Dawkins, never played for the Vikings but really not a huge loss

Overall grade C+
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Some of the picks like Floyd and Patterson are in the "too early to tell" category. Patterson had a great year as a kick returner, but if he doesn't emerge as a force at WR it may not be such a great pick. Floyd is the sort of DT talent you have to take if he falls to you at #23, so I think that was a great pick regardless of how it pans out.

I'd give the Jeff Locke pick a D-, because the Vikings once again used a draft choice on a position they could have filled just as well with a UFA.

Agree with you up to the Locke point, and specifically disagree with the bold section above.

Name the UFA Ps who were claimed by teams and performed better than Locke in 2013.

Discuss the stats of ex-Viking P Chris Warcraft-All-Day Kluwe during 2013.
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

Name the UFA Ps who were claimed by teams and performed better than Locke in 2013.

Ryan Allen of the Patriots was for the most part better than Locke statistically, and Allen had a lot more games where he was punting outdoors in a cold windy stadium.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards/seasontype/2

Allen was also winner of the Ray Guy award in college, so he was hardly an unknown commodity going into the 2013 Draft.

So yeah, given where Locke was drafted and his performance compared to a UFA, Locke did not have a great rookie season.

I stand by the D- I gave him in my earlier post.

vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

earlier what you said was the decision to draft him rated a D-.

milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

The decision.

Locke looked to be about NFL average as a punter.

Webmaster wrote:
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
milanb wrote:

earlier what you said was the decision to draft him rated a D-.

Let me put it this way.

As an NFL punter, I give Locke a C-, because he was below the league average in gross yardage, net yardage and punts inside the 20.

As a 5th round draft choice in the 2013 NFL Draft I give him a D-.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: