Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grading The Draft: Vikings 2013 Draft Year 1
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Grading The Draft: Vikings 2013 Draft Year 1 Reply with quote

1st rnd. DT Sharrif Floyd - C-
He was okay when he got playing time, but nothing especially great. DT though I feel needs more time to adjust.

1st rnd. CB Xavier Rhodes - A-
He played very well in press coverage, and looked like a legitimate starting CB in the NFL.

1st rnd. WR Cordarrelle Patterson - B+
Amazing returner, dynamic runner, needs to improve all around as a WR, but looks like he's going to be amazing.

4th rnd. LB Gerald Hodges - D
He didn't do anything, seems like he was the second best Penn State LB we got in the draft.

5th rnd. P Jeff Locke - B
His numbers were as good or better than Kluwe's last year, so that was a successful pick.

6th rnd. G Jeff Baca - C-
He got into four games, seems like he did well enough.

7th rnd. LB Michael Mauti - B-
I liked what he did on special teams and think that he showed enough to do more as a player for the Vikings.

7th rnd. G Travis Bond - Not on Team
7th rnd. DT Everett Dawkins - Not on Team

Overall Grade: B

I think that the grade can go up higher. Mauti seems like he could be a good 7th round steal, and I love all three first round picks.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch on your grade of Patterson - you called him dynamic and amazing (twice) but that only gets a guy a B+ rating? remind me not take the classes you decide to teach.

Very Happy

and i thought Floyd was fairly disruptive for the small amount of playing time he had.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
ouch on your grade of Patterson - you called him dynamic and amazing (twice) but that only gets a guy a B+ rating? remind me not take the classes you decide to teach.

Very Happy

and i thought Floyd was fairly disruptive for the small amount of playing time he had.

I can't go higher on Patterson just because he didn't play for half the year. Whether that was all Frazier not liking to play rookies or it legitimately was Patterson learning more routes so he could play in the offense, I don't know, but grading him on half a year, it's harder to go higher.

And with Floyd, he was disruptive in some games, but the were other games where he didn't show up at all.

EDIT

Also, I just realized, this is post 35,000.

vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Grading The Draft: Vikings 2013 Draft Year 1 Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:

your individual grades were:

A-
B+
B
B-
C-
C-
D
flunked out
flunked out

not sure how that averages out to a B for the class...

Webmaster wrote:
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Grading The Draft: Vikings 2013 Draft Year 1 Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

your individual grades were:

A-
B+
B
B-
C-
C-
D
flunked out
flunked out

not sure how that averages out to a B for the class...

Because first round players carry more weight. And they are C-, A-, and B+, so that helps improve the number. And math is hard at some points in time. So a 7th round pick if you hit can up the stock, but I expect an average 7th round pick to be D or lower.

CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging the player potential on the team, not necessarily the 1st year impact, in accordance to his draft slot taken.

1st rnd. DT Sharrif Floyd - B+
He was relatively very good when he got playing time at the right position. He was okay when playing with incorrect personel. Faught for playing time

1st rnd. CB Xavier Rhodes - A+
Best pick of the draft, will be a lock down CB for us. HIs metrics already put him in the top 15 CBs.

1st rnd. WR Cordarrelle Patterson - A
We asked him to be our returner, and he broke records. Later we asked him to be our WR and he had a strong showing. Its not his fault he didn't get enough snaps.

4th rnd. LB Gerald Hodges - D
Unfortunately, I don't think he will make an impact. Had a poor rookie year by whichever standards you use

5th rnd. P Jeff Locke - B-
His numbers were okay, around average, is cheap and looks to be the punter for at least a couple of years.

6th rnd. G Jeff Baca - B-
He seems to do what we asked him to do, when we asked him

7th rnd. LB Michael Mauti - C+
Was decent, would have liked to see a bit more of him especially since we were poor collectively at LB

7th rnd. G Travis Bond
Was not fond of this selection.

7th rnd. DT Everett Dawkins
I had liked this pick after draft, he was taken by another team correct (DAL/TB)
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know who suprised me with their lack of playing time? Hodges. He was a converted safety at Penn St, known for his coverage skills. What did our LB absolutely suck in last year? Coverage. I am absolutely baffled they didn't at least try him out in nickel situations.

Anyone have any insight on that?
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't know how anyone can give Jeff Locke anything higher than a D+ grade.

You drafted a punter with your 5th round pick, he better be amazing. Locke was on the lower end of the spectrum according to PFF grades. You could have picked someone off the street to produce the same numbers for the Vikes that Locke accumulated.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
7th rnd. G Travis Bond

I had liked this pick after draft, he was taken by another team correct (DAL/TB)

Dawkins is in Tampa and Bond is in Carolina. Both players were on the P.S. but were signed off it by other teams (Dawkins by Dallas originally). So honestly, they really were successful picks...because teams don't just pick random players off practice squads for no reason. It's because they showed something. It's just unfortunate that the Vikings were unable to keep them on their practice squad the entire season. So, to give them a F really isn't fair. Fs should be reserved for those players no longer in the NFL...i.e like Trevor Guyton.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
I also don't know how anyone can give Jeff Locke anything higher than a D+ grade.

You drafted a punter with your 5th round pick, he better be amazing. Locke was on the lower end of the spectrum according to PFF grades. You could have picked someone off the street to produce the same numbers for the Vikes that Locke accumulated.

Holy Hyperbole, Batman!

Laughing

a D+ punter would have had punts blocked routinely, shanks, blooper kicks, and messed up multiple holds for the kicker.

Webmaster wrote:
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
You know who suprised me with their lack of playing time? Hodges. He was a converted safety at Penn St, known for his coverage skills. What did our LB absolutely suck in last year? Coverage. I am absolutely baffled they didn't at least try him out in nickel situations.

Well, the coaching staff had a habit of not playing young guys in favor of veterans. Just last year: CP, Xavier, and Audie Cole should have played games way earlier. Throw Jarius Wright in too, who was deactivated for most of the 2012 season despite the team's receiving corps being awful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:

Holy Hyperbole, Batman!

Laughing

a D+ punter would have had punts blocked routinely, shanks, blooper kicks, and messed up multiple holds for the kicker.

I guess I have high expectations for a Punter drafted in the 5th round, whereas most punters in the NFL go undrafted. You could have gotten the same production out of a free agent punter, instead of spending a 5th round pick on one. It's just a wasted opportunity to add an additional offensive or defensive prospect and see if you could hit on him to become a successful NFL player.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
7th rnd. G Travis Bond

Dawkins is in Tampa and Bond is in Carolina. Both players were on the P.S. but were signed off it by other teams (Dawkins by Dallas originally). So honestly, they really were successful picks...because teams don't just pick random players off practice squads for no reason. It's because they showed something. It's just unfortunate that the Vikings were unable to keep them on their practice squad the entire season. So, to give them a F really isn't fair. Fs should be reserved for those players no longer in the NFL...i.e like Trevor Guyton.

I was pulling for Everett to be placed on the 53.
I knew that he would be picked up.
Having players plucked off your practice squad while being a bottom 5-10 team for the entire year, is managements fault in my opinion. 1 or both of them should have been promoted to the 53 once the season was essentially lost.

Last edited by CriminalMind on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikesGuy07 wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:

Well, the coaching staff had a habit of not playing young guys in favor of veterans. Just last year: CP, Xavier, and Audie Cole should have played games way earlier. Throw Jarius Wright in too, who was deactivated for most of the 2012 season despite the team's receiving corps being awful.

So do we believe it has more to do with an inept coaching staff, than the actual talent of Hodges? Because he was extremely good at PSU and it just really surprised me we didn't even see him in nickel situations.

The Jarius Wright deactivations pissed me off so much, let's not get into that Embarassed
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding on Hodges is that he fell behind early, because he couldn't pick up the playbook well enough, and just didn't catch up. I think he'll fare much better under a Zimmer/Edwards regime, because it's probably a simpler defensive scheme that won't rely as much on pure athleticism (which the Cover-2 does, because you need to have the athleticism to catch up if you react slowly).

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: