Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agents I Would Call At Least
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald323 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
marky mark wrote:
Quote:
@TyDunne: Conversations continue between #Packers and CB Sam Shields. Return "50/50" for now.

i just hope he dont pull a tramon williams.

im so sick of guys playing hard in there last year

pull a Tramon Williams? Injure his shoulder so badly it takes multiple seasons to recover from the nerve damage?

It hasn't been an effort thing with Tramon.

All this means is negotiations are happening. I take 50/50 as meaning the Packers have made a reasonably fair offer but his agent is whispering to him "hey if we push it to FA, someone might shoot the moon."

are u kidding me?

if Tramon Williams was hurt that bad u know how the packers medical staff act when it comes to injuries, im not buying this crap about his shoulder. he got paid in stop playing just like morgan burnett and aj hawk did.

If the cat could play, there's no reason to put him on the bench if he wasn't going to hurt himself any more by playing. If you'd rather play busted Tramon than Jarrett Bush, you play busted Tramon.

Why would you question Hawk's effort? He and Burnett are the last two guys on this defense that effort should be a complaint.
gregoreo22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about how Malcolm Jenkins has done in New Orleans, but I was absolutely in love with him the year we drafted Raji and then Matthews. He reminded me so much of Woodson at the time.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregoreo22 wrote:
I don't know much about how Malcolm Jenkins has done in New Orleans, but I was absolutely in love with him the year we drafted Raji and then Matthews. He reminded me so much of Woodson at the time.

Terrible. I would stay as far away as possible. He is going to get overpaid for what he brings.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
marky mark wrote:
Quote:
@TyDunne: Conversations continue between #Packers and CB Sam Shields. Return "50/50" for now.

i just hope he dont pull a tramon williams.

im so sick of guys playing hard in there last year

pull a Tramon Williams? Injure his shoulder so badly it takes multiple seasons to recover from the nerve damage?

It hasn't been an effort thing with Tramon.

All this means is negotiations are happening. I take 50/50 as meaning the Packers have made a reasonably fair offer but his agent is whispering to him "hey if we push it to FA, someone might shoot the moon."

are u kidding me?

if Tramon Williams was hurt that bad u know how the packers medical staff act when it comes to injuries, im not buying this crap about his shoulder. he got paid in stop playing just like morgan burnett and aj hawk did.

If the cat could play, there's no reason to put him on the bench if he wasn't going to hurt himself any more by playing. If you'd rather play busted Tramon than Jarrett Bush, you play busted Tramon.

Why would you question Hawk's effort? He and Burnett are the last two guys on this defense that effort should be a complaint.

Can we trade for Ronald McDonald's thoughts on Packers free agents?

Here's the problem I see with a lot of opinions on this board. They were dissatisfied with the Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett contracts. However, the problem is that most likely any free agent we bring in is only as likely to be a fit and success in this scheme as either of those guys did when TT re-signed them. Talent evaluation isn't a science and while we want to bring in a safety to cure our ails, there's no bet that the free agent safety we choose will do that. Safety is probably the most volatile position in the NFL year to year in terms of productivity that signing a less-than-stellar one and tying up valuable cap space to another non-solution isn't really productive to the team. I agree that we need help at the position, but overpaying for another team's reject is not a good solution in this business. If we can get one for cheap (guaranteed money) then I have no problem with it. To pay Chris Clemons $4mm a year as someone suggested on the last page is pretty crazy IMO.
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think overpaying for a Safety for a year or two wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. you're worried Nelson or Cobb aren't going to get resigned? i think it's pretty likely that we don't resign both of them. Nelson is a ONE on just about any team so he's going to get some money. Cobb is still kind of a wildcard since he didn't get the entire year to prove himself plus Rodgers didn't play so even if he had play it would be a suspect year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, i think both Nelson and Cobb are in future plans in GB and that James Jones probably is not. Nobody will give up a LOT of money to stay somewhere but I feel Nelson is very much a type of guy that will give GB yet another hometown (slight) discount and he's exactly the type of guy TT will extend again.

Cobb will be a little cheaper after his injury to extend next year as well (both are FAs after next season).

I also would be very, very surprised if another WR isn't drafted this year, if not 2 again (but sooner than Rd 7).
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
i dunno, i think both Nelson and Cobb are in future plans in GB and that James Jones probably is not. Nobody will give up a LOT of money to stay somewhere but I feel Nelson is very much a type of guy that will give GB yet another hometown (slight) discount and he's exactly the type of guy TT will extend again.

Cobb will be a little cheaper after his injury to extend next year as well (both are FAs after next season).

I also would be very, very surprised if another WR isn't drafted this year, if not 2 again (but sooner than Rd 7).

Agreed. Both are very much in the team's plans. I think Nelson will be happy with a reasonable #1 offer. Remember, he still has income coming in from his farm as well. Laughing

Cobb is also very much in the plans for this team in that what he does is unique to a handful of receivers around the league. He allows for some true mismatches.

Either way, the bigger point of my spiel which may have not been adequately conveyed was that sure we can go out and buy a safety, but don't be shocked if it brings as much value to this team as re-signing a Brad Jones. People remember the great signings and really lambast GMs for their bad ones. Bad free agent signings ruin teams.

One of the undersold benefits of TT's approach is that he always has the upper hand on the market in knowledge of the players he wants to re-sign. It also brings into consideration that if a team is willing to let a player go, how valuable are they going to be?

I'm not saying TT has the best approach in the league, but free agency is even more of a crapshoot than re-signing your own players, simply because your offer is grounded in less information.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly pick up the phone and give Jason Worilds a call. Especially if we miss out on both Raji and Shields. I expect us to be involved with both Raji and Shields until the very end. Whether they choose to stay with the Packers or not is up to them. I feel confident that TT will due his best to keep our own talent. That's been his MO.

Back to Worilds... He really hasn't gotten much pub but what a really good player he is. Size and strength. This team needs to get deeper at OLB. Still pretty darn young with upside. Played in a similar scheme. I think having a rotation of 3 OLB's is really important. To expect our oft injured Perry and Matthews to play all season is unrealistic. Only issue I see with Worilds is the contract he is going to command. Does someone pay him like a legit #1 pass rusher? If that's the case, the Packers simply will not be in that ball game. But if he's going to be paid like a really good #2 pass rusher, then I could see us being in that game. Time will tell.
fattlipp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to get an ILB and Safety in FA, then TT can draft BPA in the draft.

ILB : Karlos Dansby or Jon Beason
S : Ward, Jenkins or Bethea

We could get Danbsy and Ward with Pickett, Raji, and Finley's money.
Sign Shields and restructure Tramon.
The Browns need a RB, maybe they franchise Ward and S&T him to us for Starks + cond. pick

Use 1st on a NT, get Nix from ND

Last edited by fattlipp on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
byzr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
I would certainly pick up the phone and give Jason Worilds a call. Especially if we miss out on both Raji and Shields. I expect us to be involved with both Raji and Shields until the very end. Whether they choose to stay with the Packers or not is up to them. I feel confident that TT will due his best to keep our own talent. That's been his MO.

Back to Worilds... He really hasn't gotten much pub but what a really good player he is. Size and strength. This team needs to get deeper at OLB. Still pretty darn young with upside. Played in a similar scheme. I think having a rotation of 3 OLB's is really important. To expect our oft injured Perry and Matthews to play all season is unrealistic. Only issue I see with Worilds is the contract he is going to command. Does someone pay him like a legit #1 pass rusher? If that's the case, the Packers simply will not be in that ball game. But if he's going to be paid like a really good #2 pass rusher, then I could see us being in that game. Time will tell.

if we can improve the pressure on the QB the DBs will benefit. the Steelers are in a bad cap position too so it might be difficult for them to resign him. he should be a pretty big FA name though so who really knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:

if we can improve the pressure on the QB the DBs will benefit. the Steelers are in a bad cap position too so it might be difficult for them to resign him. he should be a pretty big FA name though so who really knows.

Yes, I expect him to be highly sought after. Doubtful return to Pitt though. I agree with you here though. I would agree with anyone that another Safety is the biggest position need on the team. However, I would rather invest in the front seven. First off, we have to stop the damn run and second we need to get consistent pressure on the QB. Our opponents QB rating was high. QB's have all day to sit in the pocket. Put pressure on any quarterback and they're going to struggle regardless of who is in the secondary.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously some of the Green Bay free agents are important to keep and my list would be:
Johnny Jolly - Mike Neal - John Kuhn - EDS - Sam Shields - Andrew Quarless

I can see this year TT actually going out and getting 2 potential starter free agents. Of course, that depends on what the team does with guys like Raji and Finley and Shields and EDS - but there should be money to actually pick up a couple of higher quality free agents. My list of potential free agents would include:
Garret Graham - TE
Brian De La Puente - Center
Michael Bennett - DE
Anthony Spencer - DE
Justin Tuck - DE
Paul Solai - DT
Randy Starks - DT
O'Brien Schoflied - OLB
Brandon Spikes - ILB
Karlos Dansby - ILB
Malcolm Jenkins - Safety
Stevie Brown - Safety
Jarius Byrd - Safety
Donte Whitner - Safety
Mike Mitchell - Safety
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id really like to see us use a more attacking hybrid style 4-3 similar to what Seattle uses on their defensive front. A Datone/Boyd/Aaron Donald(draft)/Daniels(Perry) line has enormous potential and possibilities. I know it's a pipe dream, but one can dream.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
Id really like to see us use a more attacking hybrid style 4-3 similar to what Seattle uses on their defensive front. A Datone/Boyd/Aaron Donald(draft)/Daniels(Perry) line has enormous potential and possibilities. I know it's a pipe dream, but one can dream.

That group would get murdered against the run. I don't even want to think about what the nickel looks like.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
OnWisconsin wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
WITH WHAT MONEY?

Contracts can be structured in so many ways it is not even funny.... Look at what A-Rod made this year and it goes down from there... There is always away

We've got roughly 20 million in cash to spend, if that.

That doesn't bring back Shields, or EDS, or either of the TEs, or any of the defensive lineman. It'll be a god damn miracle if we walk out of this offseason with a better team than we walked out of last season with.

Sure, you can structure your contracts, but it screws you in the long run. On top of that, these guys want to get paid immediately. They don't want to put off getting paid. They know ten bucks in the bank is better than twenty five years from now.

We're not signing these guys, it's not possible.

It is possible, but not likely. They found the $$$ to overpay a washed-up Jeff Saturday 2/$8 M. True, TT has created a system (overpaying your average defensive players like Burnett, Hawk, Jones and Pickett, who along with the necessary big $$$ to AR and CM3 makes it difficult to entertain the FA option, whick GB under the current regime disdains anyway.

The real issue is Nelson and especially Cobb are going to get paid in a year, if not sooner. Is Nelson going to allow himself to be underpaid again, while mediocrities on defense regularly make $5, 6 and in Raji's case are offered a ridiculous $8 million a season for zero sacks and 17 tackles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: