Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gary Kubiak hired as new OC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1m
Sources: Former Texans tight ends coach Brian Pariani to join Ravens staff, replace tight ends coach Wade Harman: http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-sources-ravens-to-hire-brian-pariani-to-coach-tight-ends-20140127,0,1526536.story

Texans Mafia comin' in hot.

There's a Bisciotti joke in there somewhere... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last part of that article:

Quote:
The Ravens are also expected to consider former Texans running backs coach Chick Harris for their running backs coach vacancy.

Wide receivers coach Jim Hostler remains on the Ravens' coaching staff for now after being considered and not hired for the offensive coordinator job, but will "have options," according to a team source.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he's spoken with Hostler and will continue to have dialogue with him going forward.

So if I have it right the staff will likely be:

Offensive Coordinator - Gary Kubiak
Quarterbacks - Rick Dennison
Running Backs - Chick Harris
Wide Receivers - Jim Hostler(?)
Tight Ends - Brian Pariani
Offensive Line - Juan Castillo with Todd Washington as an assistant (maybe)
Senior Offensive Assistant - Craig Ver Steeg
Offensive Assistant - Jay Harbaugh

Lots of changes. Good. The team needed it in the worst way. And they should have a staff that is all full of the same ideals. Hostler and Castillo might be iffy fits but the former might not be on the staff and the latter probably knows he's on the hot seat.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Kubiak and all of Houston hate Jacoby, so I wouldn't worry about that.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
This is the last part of that article:

Quote:
The Ravens are also expected to consider former Texans running backs coach Chick Harris for their running backs coach vacancy.

Wide receivers coach Jim Hostler remains on the Ravens' coaching staff for now after being considered and not hired for the offensive coordinator job, but will "have options," according to a team source.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he's spoken with Hostler and will continue to have dialogue with him going forward.

So if I have it right the staff will likely be:

Offensive Coordinator - Gary Kubiak
Quarterbacks - Rick Dennison
Running Backs - Chick Harris
Wide Receivers - Jim Hostler(?)
Tight Ends - Brian Pariani
Offensive Line - Juan Castillo with Todd Washington as an assistant (maybe)
Senior Offensive Assistant - Craig Ver Steeg
Offensive Assistant - Jay Harbaugh

Lots of changes. Good. The team needed it in the worst way. And they should have a staff that is all full of the same ideals. Hostler and Castillo might be iffy fits but the former might not be on the staff and the latter probably knows he's on the hot seat.

I don't expect Hostler to return and I think I'd actually rather have Bobby Turner as the running backs coach over Harris. Turner's track record is just more extensive.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kubiak and all of Houston hate Jacoby, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Kubiak said he and Jacoby are close, talk regularly and he congratulated Jacoby last season after the SB win.

Harbaugh also said early on in the coaching search Jacoby and Leach both mentioned that they believed Kubiak would be a great fit for the vacant slot.

So I'm pretty sure the above hate you mention isn't true.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. most Houston fans hate him like we hate Cundiff. Didn't know Kubiak and Jacoby were BFFs outside of that.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I agree with your thoughts in the other thread about Dennison being a quarterbacks coach in name only. Kubiak should be the one that works with Flacco.

Harman being out isn't a surprise nor something I'm upset about. he's just been there so long it's probably time to move on. Especially if Kubiak is bringing about wholesale changes.

I agree with you about Dennison. I envision him being more of a "Director". Kubiak's right hand man in charge of getting everyone of the same page. Orchestrating. In regards to Flacco, Dennison may assist him with getting accustomed to the verbiage, the philosophy and in getting into the playbook. But I can't foresee Dennison doing anything with Flacco mechanically. I agree that would likely be Kubiak.

I agree with you on Harman as well. He's a good coach and it may be beneficial for him to have a change of scenery. Sometimes after being in one place for awhile, your message grows old. You tend to lose motivation. Heck, he came over with Billick. I wouldn't have been upset if he stayed but the timing appears to be right for his departure.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 14th - Jim Caldwell is hired as the head coach of the Detroit Lions. Kubiak out of contention for the job. January 27th - Gary Kubiak is hired as the offensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens. My question is, "Do we owe Detroit a draft pick for this?"

Norv Turner was my guy from Day One if we were to stay in a "Coryell" type of offense.

Kubiak was my guy if we were going to go to a west coast style scheme. I couldn't be happier with this hiring. I'm ecstatic!

To be honest with you, I'm surprised Dennison came along. He has the qualifications to have landed a better job. A higher rung on the ladder if you will. Dennison is a real bonus. And seeing as Harbaugh stated that Castillo is staying on board, I think it's safe to assume that Castillo's on board with any upcoming changes. The Ravens will adopt Kubiak and Dennison's philosophies and Castillo will have to bend/adjust to their way (and not the other way around). IMO, the Ravens will begin to focus more on technique than raw power. Lighter, more athletic linemen.

I get the impression that with Hostler, it was "Coordinator or Bust". That's a shame because he truly is a great WR coach. But as with any other occupation, everyone is replaceable. Some potential candidates for the WRs coaching job are Vikings WR coach George Stewart (who doesn't appear to be leaving in light of the Zimmer hiring), long time Texans WR coach Larry Kirksey, former Titans and Lions WR coach Shawn Jefferson, former Tampa Bay WR coach John Garrett (former Cowboys passing game coordinator and Jason Garrett's brother. Also a candidate for the TE coach job), former Lions WR coach Tim Lappano (who could also be in consideration for the TE coach job), former Texans offensive assistant and Redskins WR coach Mike McDaniel or one of the many college coaching candidates that Harbaugh interviewed over the last two weeks.

From the Ravens website:
Quote:
In the process of deciding on Kubiak, Harbaugh conducted an exhaustive search by looking at more than 30 candidates for the job. He interviewed one to two candidates a day over the two-week span, considering coaches from the professional and college ranks.

That truly is exhausting and it just goes to show how hard Harbaugh works. Several of the candidates got 2nd interviews. You gotta love the guy. He truly appears to have left no stone unturned.

This was the one statement that confused me a little (also from the Ravens website):
Quote:
“When I had a chance to talk with Rick last week, and talk about some different candidates and things like that, it just kind of became apparent that maybe we were moving closer together,” Harbaugh said. “Without getting into too many details, that’s just how it felt to me. It just started to make sense.”

So he's talking to Rick Dennison, talking about different candidates... moving closer... TO WHAT?!? Dennison recommending Kubiak for the job?

Personally, here's what I take from this. Kubiak and Dennison have been on track to get this thing done for about a week. At this point in their conversation (which took place about a week ago), Dennison already knew he was going to be 2nd in command on offense.

Does anyone else sees this too or is it just me?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pariani is already going to be hired as the tight ends coach. The only vacancy right now is running backs coach. It's yet to be seen what Hostler does but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he left.

Something I like about Kubiak being hired is that he's a strong offensive mind with a proven track-record that should be able to implement change. That was missing with a lot of the other candidates mentioned. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, and it probably depends on the specific team/players, but I feel more confident that we'll see a noticeable change with the offense under Kubiak's direction. I just hope his play-calling isn't as... underwhelming(?) as some Texans' fans made it out to be. That and they say something about his reluctance to adapt/modernize but they seemed to do fairly well on offense anyways so it might not be a big deal.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm so excited about Kubiak is because of what his teams were able to accomplish with the tools he was given to work with.

QB Matt Schaub - 90th pick in the draft by Atlanta (drafted to be Vick's backup). Acquired by Houston for two 2nd round picks. A somewhat risky trade seeing as Schaub had only thrown for 208 yards, 1 TD & 2 INTS the previous year. In 90 games as a Houston Texan (Source: pro-football-reference.com), he has averaged 258 yds./gm., 64.6% completion percentage, 124 TDs vs. 78 INTs and has a career QB rating of 90.9. Schaub led the league in passing yards in 2009 and has been to 2 pro bowls.

RB Arian Foster - Undrafted free agent. 59 games. 5,063 yards rushing and 45 TDs (4.5 ypc). 189 receptions for 1,714 yards and 7 TDs. (One complaint here - Foster had over 300 carries for the season in 2010 & 2012. Too many. Especially with Ben Tate on the bench. Foster had back and hamstring issues in 2013 that prematurely ended his season.)

WR Andre Johnson - #3 overall pick in the 2003 draft. Has produced as one would expect a high draft pick to produce. Not everybody could have gotten the production out of Johnson that Kubiak did. Especially since Johnson didn't have a solid #2 across from him for most of his career (Kevin Walter, Jabar Gaffney, Jacoby Jones...). 154 games. 12,661 yards (17th all-time and could be in the top 10 next year. Very likely to retire at #2 all-time in yardage.). 61 TDs. 7-time pro bowler. 2-time NFL receiving yards leader.

TE Owen Daniels - 98th pick in the draft. 100 games. 4,617 yards and 29 TDs. 2-time pro bowler.

Aside from Johnson, Kubiak was never really given much too work with. The players listed above are the Texans all-time leaders in franchise history at their positions. Schaub - Late 3rd round pick. Foster - Undrafted F/A. Daniels - 4th round. Kubiak essentially put it all together. Well... He and Dennison.

From a draft selection perspective alone, Kubiak and Dennison have better options to work with in Baltimore than they ever did in Houston. Flacco (#18 overall selection. Super Bowl MVP), Ray Rice (#55 overall selection. 3 pro bowls), Torrey Smith (#58 overall selection. Eclipsed the 1,000 yd. receiving mark for the first time), Dennis Pitta and whoever else the Ravens bring in this year. As we have discussed in another thread, the Ravens are committed to bringing in a "receiver, whether it's a tight end or a wide receiver, that can make a third-and-7, third-and-8 catch and can run after the catch."

Knowing that the Ravens have the coaching staff that they do now and knowing that they are able to best utilize the players that are at their disposal will make it easier for Ozzie to select the best available player in the upcoming draft. Steve and Ozzie weren't at the press conference because they were probably ROTFLTAO at the coup de grace they just delivered the rest of the league. There are at least 25 other teams wondering tonight alone in their front offices, "How in the world did they just pull that off?"

This group of players and coaches have the potential to be the best offense the Ravens franchise has ever had.
dcfields

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Pariani is already going to be hired as the tight ends coach. The only vacancy right now is running backs coach.

This is good. There will be continuity within the staff. It should be a seamless transition for many of the coaches. It will just be a matter of instructing the players.

I can almost guarantee now that the RB coach will either be Chick Harris or Bobby Turner.

The players have to be excited about the hirings as well. Maybe... just maybe... we can get a "home town discount" from Monroe and Pitta now. Strike while the iron's hot! Dare I say that with a change in scheme, Monroe becomes even more valuable to the Ravens now?

Last edited by dcfields on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dcfields

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Texans website: Brian Pariani is in his eighth season with the Houston Texans as the tight ends coach. Pariani is responsible for one of the more utilized units in the Texans’ offensive scheme. Under Pariani’s guidance, Owen Daniels has established himself as one of the best tight ends in the NFL, earning trips to two Pro Bowls.

Pariani’s group, which included former H-back James Casey, combined to catch 124 passes for 1,309 yards and 12 touchdowns, more than half the touchdown receptions for the team. It also marked the most receptions ever by a Texans tight ends unit. Daniels led the Texans with a career-high six touchdown receptions and ranked second on the team with 62 receptions with 716 yards on the way to being named to the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2008. Graham set career highs with 28 receptions for 263 and three scores. Casey also set career highs with 34 receptions for 330 yards and three touchdowns. The trio also helped the Texans eclipse 2,000 yards rushing for the third consecutive season and led the NFL in time of possession for the second year in a row.
dcfields

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Eric Winston's comments in a Sun article regarding Dennison: Winston said. "Dennison is a very smart guy. He can coach running backs. He can coach the line. He can coach tight ends. He can help build the game plan. He's very valuable as a versatile coach."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Pariani is already going to be hired as the tight ends coach. The only vacancy right now is running backs coach.

This is good. There will be continuity within the staff. It should be a seamless transition for many of the coaches. It will just be a matter of instructing the players.

I can almost guarantee now that the RB coach will either be Chick Harris or Bobby Turner.

The players have to be excited about the hirings as well. Maybe... just maybe... we can get a "home town discount" from Monroe and Pitta now. Strike while the iron's hot! Dare I say that with a change in scheme, Monroe becomes even [b]more valuable to the Ravens now?[/b]

Not really. The Air Coryell passing system emphasizes utilizing longer developing routes to achieve big plays. Which means that your OL needs to be able to pass block for longer periods of time than the usual.

So, with the change in scheme, we're actually a little less dependant on a great pass blocking LT than we were before.

Obviously Monroe is still going to be a priority, just saying that our scheme change won't be something that makes him more valuable to us. At best, he's equally valuable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scheme makes him more valuable to us in the sense that Kubiak has always utilized more athletic lineman. A guard like Zack Martin who is technically-sound is more valuable in the west coast system because he can get to the second level more effectively than 340 lb. Gabe Jackson.

That's more along the lines of what I meant. Athletic. Linemen that can move their feet and get to the 2nd level (run blocking). I should have been more clear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: