Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gary Kubiak hired as new OC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Gary Kubiak hired as new OC Reply with quote

Kubiak as OC, Rick Dennison as QB coach.

Shanahan won't be joining and Wade Harman is out as TE coach.

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22m
Ravens plan to hire former Texans HC Gary Kubiak as their offensive coordinator and former Texans OC Rick Dennison as their QB coach.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 7m
Kyle Shanahan won't be joining the Ravens' staff, according to a league source

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 7m
Ravens won't be retaining tight ends coach coach Wade Harman, according to a source

--

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m
Ravens make it official, announce that Gary Kubiak is their new offensive coordinator

Quote:
John Harbaugh: 'We left no stone unturned in this search. We are excited about the result and cannot wait to get to work.'

Quote:
'After studying many different candidates, we believe our research and our evaluation process have been as thorough as we could make them.'

Quote:
Ravens hire Rick Dennison as quarterbacks coach

Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your thoughts in the other thread about Dennison being a quarterbacks coach in name only. Kubiak should be the one that works with Flacco.

Harman being out isn't a surprise nor something I'm upset about. he's just been there so long it's probably time to move on. Especially if Kubiak is bringing about wholesale changes.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody sing! "Happy Days Are Here Again..."

Full story on the mobile app. Presser at 3
Integrity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy its not Jim Hostler.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool with me.

Fix that running game and we're good baby. Cool

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We may have to hire a wide receivers coach potentially..."

Harbaugh talking about some changes that could be coming with the offensive staff. Doesn't sound like Hostler will be back.
Nucky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
I'm just happy its not Jim Hostler.

THIS.

Kinda bummed kyle won't join but I'm very happy with Kubiak. Does this mean Hostler is done in Baltimore ?
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so now we have a dilemma. Now that the reality of Kubiak as OC has set in... time for the questioning and logic to take place.

... And I have to wonder how our OL will fit together in all of this.

Juan Castillo was known for composing his OLs of big beefy interior players. Under further analysis, he seems to run more of a power ZBS. As Solomon Wilcox pointed out, we tend to "wall off" everywhere with minimal cut blocks on the backside.

Dennison was a protege under Alex Gibbs and his ZBS in Denver. Denver is quite famous for using smaller, quicker blockers in there interior with there ZBS.

I wonder if this will cause a conflict on the coaching staff as Harbaugh was very emphatic in keeping Castillo on the staff and protecting him. Castillo, for all intents and purposes, is "his" guy. So I wonder how these ego's balance out. Which ZBS will we differ to? Are we STILL trying to get bigger in the interior... or does Kubiak's hiring represent a change in strategy with our OL?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something to watch for now I that look into it more. Philadelphia didn't start going with the smaller zone lineman that are currently starting (Evan Mathis and Travis Kelce) until 2011 which was the year Castillo got promoted to defensive coordinator and Howard Mudd was brought in as the offensive line coach. I'm guessing Kubiak and Dennison signed off on Castillo staying and approved of his style though so I'm not too worried about.

The other aspect about how they want to go improving the personnel now could be interesting. A lot boils down to Osemele in my opinion. If Castillo's ideals are more prominent then he probably stays at left guard, if the other two get their way he's probably moved back to right tackle. There are two holes on the offensive line either way.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pretty boring presser all things considered... a lot of coach speak with few direct answers.

Harbaugh and Kubiak are both skilled in the art of answering questions with tennis ball like deflections of non-answers. Laughing

I'd much rather watch a presser with Eric DeCosta or Joe Flacco- for example.

Well as long as the offense entertains... who cares what's said in the pressers.

One interesting thing mentioned was Jacoby and Vonta Leach. Both players aren't sure bets to return. Leach could be cut to make room for Juszczyk having a bigger role. However Kubiak did find a way to utilize both Leach and James Casey in 2011... and one could expect Juszczyk to play the Casey role within this offense.

Either way, wonder if Kubiak's hire makes us more likely to retain Jacoby and Leach's services or if things stay mostly the same on that front.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really wanted Shanahan, based on what he's done in the last few years in the league. But I will say I'm far more familiar with his OC work than I am with Kubiak's, so I'm not against Kubiak, I just don't know enough about what he'll bring to the table right now.

His Texans team was quite potent, offensively, with a strong running game and a passing game based on play action, which all sounds good to me.

Wish they could have brought Shanahan in to work with Joe, but I guess Kubiak has that covered. Does he have carte blanche to fill the positional coaching slots? RB, TE and WR all going to have new guys in there, with only Castillo returning (it looks like).

I don't think this is going to change the sort of WR that Ozzie and Harbs were looking at, though, because a chain-moving, YAC guy is a need regardless of the offensive system.

This is definitely a coaching move that sends the right messages to fans, and to other teams, though. I wanted Harbs and the Ravens to signal that they were done with offensive mediocrity and playing it safe, and this does just that. All change and a high profile offensive mind to hopefully guide Joe through what should be his peak years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Jason Cole but Brian McFarland retweeted this:

Quote:
Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 16m
Here's way #ravens staff shapes up: Dennison QB coach, Hostler WR, Castillo OL, Pariani TE, chick Harris or Bobby Turner at RB. No KShanahan

Pariani was Houston's tight end coach since 2006 and worked with Kubiak in Denver for years prior to that after a one year stint as the offensive coordinator for Syracuse in 2005. Chick Harris would make many around here happy. Personally I think Kubiak makes anybody look good but Harris is probably a quality coach too. Bobby Turner was Denver's running backs coach for years and they he went to Washington with Shanahan in 2010. Same type of situation with Harris in my opinion. Interesting that he says Hostler stays.

And there's this.

Quote:
Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 16m
Also hearing that former #ravens OL coach Andy Moeller is a strong candidate for #Browns OL job

Good. That would clear most things up with the overabundance of offensive line coaches. Washington probably stays as the assistant, or maybe he goes with Moeller. Either way it looks like things are falling into place.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Well pretty boring presser all things considered... a lot of coach speak with few direct answers.

Harbaugh and Kubiak are both skilled in the art of answering questions with tennis ball like deflections of non-answers. Laughing

Well as long as the offense entertains... who cares what's said in the pressers.

One interesting thing mentioned was Jacoby and Vonta Leach. Both players aren't sure bets to return. Leach could be cut to make room for Juszczyk having a bigger role. However Kubiak did find a way to utilize both Leach and James Casey in 2011... and one could expect Juszczyk to play the Casey role within this offense.

Either way, wonder if Kubiak's hire makes us more likely to retain Jacoby and Leach's services or if things stay mostly the same on that front.

We really don't have room for either of them, I don't think they should be back next year just because of Kubiak. This isn't directed at you either, btw.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

Agreed on the press conference. Coaches seem to have a way of saying nothing with a ton of words. I bet they wrote great papers in college. Laughing

Kyle Juszczyk and James Casey are pretty similar. I'm really excited to see his integration into the offense with somebody that knows how to utilize that type of player.

I'd expect Leach to still get cut. Houston seemed to move away from 2-back sets and the Ravens will need the cap savings to maneuver. Jones... I just don't see the receiver spot for him after Baltimore adds another player and I don't think they'll overpay to keep a returner (even if it's a guy as good as Jones is now, but who knows how long his athleticism will last).
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1m
Sources: Former Texans tight ends coach Brian Pariani to join Ravens staff, replace tight ends coach Wade Harman: http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-sources-ravens-to-hire-brian-pariani-to-coach-tight-ends-20140127,0,1526536.story

Texans Mafia comin' in hot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: