Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens hire Gary Kubiak as OC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Molsted


Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 690
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will turn out as a very good hire. I have heard people critise Dennsion because he has not been sought after as a OC, but to me his work is hard to deny. I think a new and strong running game will be everything for Flacco and he will be very good taking the top of the defence combined with a effective running game.

The one thing that often seems to be the problem however is goalline plays, what personel does Ravens have to help them here in combination with a light ZBS crew on the filed. Is Pitta the solution?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12969
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molsted wrote:
I think this will turn out as a very good hire. I have heard people critise Dennsion because he has not been sought after as a OC, but to me his work is hard to deny. I think a new and strong running game will be everything for Flacco and he will be very good taking the top of the defence combined with a effective running game.

The one thing that often seems to be the problem however is goalline plays, what personel does Ravens have to help them here in combination with a light ZBS crew on the filed. Is Pitta the solution?

I'm confused with the question. Are you referring to goalline plays rushing the football... or passing? Because you mention the "light ZBS crew" which makes it sound as though you're referring to OL blocking for a rushing game... but then you mention Pitta.

In terms of redzone receivers (assuming that's what you're referring to) we currently only have Marlon Brown (6'4" 213 lbs) as a redzone option. Dennis Pitta (6'4 1/2" 245) could be back but he's currently an UFA. However Ozzie has guaranteed that we will be bringing in a playmaking WR through the draft or FA... so that should probably factor into the equation also. So the talent is in flux.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 20968
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Molsted wrote:
I think this will turn out as a very good hire. I have heard people critise Dennsion because he has not been sought after as a OC, but to me his work is hard to deny. I think a new and strong running game will be everything for Flacco and he will be very good taking the top of the defence combined with a effective running game.

The one thing that often seems to be the problem however is goalline plays, what personel does Ravens have to help them here in combination with a light ZBS crew on the filed. Is Pitta the solution?

I'm confused with the question. Are you referring to goalline plays rushing the football... or passing? Because you mention the "light ZBS crew" which makes it sound as though you're referring to OL blocking for a rushing game... but then you mention Pitta.

In terms of redzone receivers (assuming that's what you're referring to) we currently only have Marlon Brown (6'4" 213 lbs) as a redzone option. Dennis Pitta (6'4 1/2" 245) could be back but he's currently an UFA. However Ozzie has guaranteed that we will be bringing in a playmaking WR through the draft or FA... so that should probably factor into the equation also. So the talent is in flux.


TE's are often the redzone targets in a ZBS. Think Play Action with a TE crossing the traffic to the opposite side of the field to which the run is going (i.e following the QB).

Molsted has a great point. The ZBS that Shanahan and Kubiak run struggles in the redzone because when a team can afford to play aggressively downhill, the ZBS is exposed (penetration stops the ZBS in its tracks).
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 21263
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

Molsted has a great point. The ZBS that Shanahan and Kubiak run struggles in the redzone because when a team can afford to play aggressively downhill, the ZBS is exposed (penetration stops the ZBS in its tracks).


It can't be any worse than our OL was in 2013 Wink

But, as DB24 said, we have Pitta, we're likely to have another TE (whether Dickson stays, we draft, or we get a FA), and Ozzie has already said we will have another WR on the roster (and in his words, a "playmaking" WR) by the end of the off-season (us fans believe it will be either a guy with size -- Mike Evans -- or a good route runner -- Jordan Matthews type).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6552
Location: SC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Molsted has a great point. The ZBS that Shanahan and Kubiak run struggles in the redzone because when a team can afford to play aggressively downhill, the ZBS is exposed (penetration stops the ZBS in its tracks).


It can't be any worse than our OL was in 2013 Wink

But, as DB24 said, we have Pitta, we're likely to have another TE (whether Dickson stays, we draft, or we get a FA), and Ozzie has already said we will have another WR on the roster (and in his words, a "playmaking" WR) by the end of the off-season (us fans believe it will be either a guy with size -- Mike Evans -- or a good route runner -- Jordan Matthews type).


Isn't Pitta a UFA? Do you think the Ravens will franchise tag Pitta?
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12969
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Molsted wrote:
I think this will turn out as a very good hire. I have heard people critise Dennsion because he has not been sought after as a OC, but to me his work is hard to deny. I think a new and strong running game will be everything for Flacco and he will be very good taking the top of the defence combined with a effective running game.

The one thing that often seems to be the problem however is goalline plays, what personel does Ravens have to help them here in combination with a light ZBS crew on the filed. Is Pitta the solution?

I'm confused with the question. Are you referring to goalline plays rushing the football... or passing? Because you mention the "light ZBS crew" which makes it sound as though you're referring to OL blocking for a rushing game... but then you mention Pitta.

In terms of redzone receivers (assuming that's what you're referring to) we currently only have Marlon Brown (6'4" 213 lbs) as a redzone option. Dennis Pitta (6'4 1/2" 245) could be back but he's currently an UFA. However Ozzie has guaranteed that we will be bringing in a playmaking WR through the draft or FA... so that should probably factor into the equation also. So the talent is in flux.


TE's are often the redzone targets in a ZBS. Think Play Action with a TE crossing the traffic to the opposite side of the field to which the run is going (i.e following the QB).

Molsted has a great point. The ZBS that Shanahan and Kubiak run struggles in the redzone because when a team can afford to play aggressively downhill, the ZBS is exposed (penetration stops the ZBS in its tracks).

I understand how a ZBS works. I played in one in HS at every single level: RB, TE, LT. I understand what a Waggle route is for a TE. I understand the blocking concepts for the line.

That's not what I was seeking clarification on. His point started out discussing the OL... and then he mentioned receiving options. He asked what our personnel was. I wasn't sure if he was referring to our a) receiving personnel or b) running backs/blocking personnel... which would be two different questions.

Furthermore, the Ravens have been running a ZBS for the past three seasons (2011), ever since we promoted Andy Moeller to OL coach. Last season, under Castillo, we tried to revert to more of a power ZBS... whereas Dennison is known for implementing a zone stretch system that utilizes quick/explosive inside blockers. His system more closely fits with what Moeller wanted. So there's still some questions as to what particular focus the Ravens OL will schematically look to take... because even though Dennison is the new guy on the block, Castillo is one of "Harbaugh's guys" back from his Philly days. He's also the OL coach and a more prestigious coach (guru) in that area.

Point is, we only have one receiving option on contract that has the size to be a redzone specialist... Dennis Pitta SHOULD be back, but we'll see. That would provide us two. And like Flaccomania said, I'm fully expecting the Ravens to target a player like Jordan Matthews in round one, who has the size, suddenness, vertical ability, and hands to be a capable redzone addition. So there's that. The personnel is influx at the moment though... and so is the scheme.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12969
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Molsted has a great point. The ZBS that Shanahan and Kubiak run struggles in the redzone because when a team can afford to play aggressively downhill, the ZBS is exposed (penetration stops the ZBS in its tracks).


It can't be any worse than our OL was in 2013 Wink

But, as DB24 said, we have Pitta, we're likely to have another TE (whether Dickson stays, we draft, or we get a FA), and Ozzie has already said we will have another WR on the roster (and in his words, a "playmaking" WR) by the end of the off-season (us fans believe it will be either a guy with size -- Mike Evans -- or a good route runner -- Jordan Matthews type).


Isn't Pitta a UFA? Do you think the Ravens will franchise tag Pitta?

It depends. There are talks that Pitta could be looking to receive the franchise tag for a WR... if he gets that, no way do we franchise him. But if it's the TE tag, potentially.

It depends on what happens with Eugene Monroe. He's likely going to be the first priority and if we sign him prior to the tag deadline and not Pitta, I imagine we will use the tag on Pitta to negotiate a deal. However, if we can't get a deal done with Monroe... I think we tag him and see where the chips fall.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6478
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I'm pretty sure Pitta would argue (and win) the right to be tagged much closer to the WR tag price than the WR tag. That's more than we can afford or what Pitta is worth.

Still, I'm confident we resign him to a long term deal. I'm basing that on the fact that he has more value to us than other teams because of his chemistry with Flacco. Also, the fact that he missed almost the whole season right when he was supposed to really break out drove his price way down and makes him more of a risk for other teams less familiar with him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 2752
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Shanahan as QB coach? Laughing

Good luck Ravens fans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dawsonleery


Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 643
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great hire. I fully expect Ravens offense to be a top 10 unit and Kubiak will get another head coaching job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6478
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of red zone recivers: Marlon Brown did very well there for an UDFA, Pitta excels in that role assuming we bring him back, and I think Torrey can do well there as a jump ball threat. He's not good enough to do it while double covered or as the sole threat like he was this year. But his first two years he racked up these short TD's so its not a skill he lacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3694
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Kyle Shanahan as QB coach? Laughing

Good luck Ravens fans


Kyle Shanahan isn't with the Ravens....Rick Dennison has been named QB coach.
_________________


"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 25163
Location: 321
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Kyle Shanahan as QB coach? Laughing

Good luck Ravens fans


Kyle Shanahan isn't with the Ravens....Rick Dennison has been named QB coach.


Wouldn't matter anyway. All the QB coach needs to do is help get Joe acclimated to Kubiaks system. At this point in Joe's career I doubt there are many coaches that know the position more than he does.
_________________


Free Ray Rice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 2752
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Kyle Shanahan as QB coach? Laughing

Good luck Ravens fans


Kyle Shanahan isn't with the Ravens....Rick Dennison has been named QB coach.


A bullet has been dodged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
footy_29


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 11392
Location: The Frozen Tundra that is Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I like this hire, i think they will try and incorporate Rice more in the rec. game(not calling it dink and dunk, but Rice does well in space)


Yeah I think Rice will be used as more of a featured receiver now as opposed to the safety valve role that Flacco needed when Cameron's all-deep routes were ineffective.


2013 Jamaal Charles part deaux?

Well... assuming Rice cuts bulk and gets back to his former self. As it stands however, Rice isn't as athletic as he was at 24... by far. His body has fallen off the past two seasons due to weight.

Whether his body is done... or if he just needs to lose some weight/change his body to make his style of running more effective for him in his older age (in terms of usage, not years). It'll be interesting to see if it's the former or latter scenario that is true.


His career is eerily similar to Clinton Portis (aside from the receiving ability). Ran wild earlier in his career at a lighter weight with great success. As the offensive line fell apart started to pick up little injuries due to the volume of carries and gained weight to better absorb the punishment behind a poor line. Then he lost the weight, but the carries and nagging injuries took their toll.

In short, he's very close to his end. Using Rice as the Ravens did is exactly how you wear down a RB prematurely. You have to hand it to Newsome for looking at the Rice contract situation as coldly calculating as he did. At least the Redskins had the good sense of paying Portis in exchange for running him into the ground.
_________________

Blknite01's masterpiece
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group