You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Davis, WR, Texas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Mike Davis, WR, Texas Reply with quote

What's everyone's take on the guy? Has good size, uber athletic and skilled leaper, very smooth athlete with rare body control. But, on the other hand, has focus issues with route technicalities and drops. Production in college has been fine, not great. Overall, he's an intriguing mid-rounder to me with the potential to be a better pro than collegiate player.
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had that question recently in the 49er forum; I haven't watched him a ton, I'll be honest. I heard Miller compare him to Mike Wallace, which if true, would definitely hold a certain cache with teams. I kept thinking for some reason that his college career was seen as a disappointment and he underachieved per his expectations, but that's all hearsay and I'm not a Texas fan, so I can't say that for sure.

What you said is pretty much on par with what I have heard from other people, and mid rounder seems to be his spot. I think he'd be a good fit for a number of teams, including my 49ers who could use a vertical threat on the outside. Given his raw physical attributes, I certainly wouldn't mind taking him as a mid round flier; he seems to be more ready to contribute than someone like Bryant, even if a few throws to blow the top off a defense and make them respect the vertical game.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
steakish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Davis and I came to UT at the same time so I've watched all his games but I'm not quite understanding his hype or his athleticism. Like jshowers says, I read all the time that the guy is an amazing athlete but it doesn't really translate to the field unless he's going over the top.

I love the guy because he's been the best WR on the team for the past couple years but he can drop the easiest passes. On the other hand... he makes difficult jump balls look routine at times. I'm hoping he can be a player who is better in the NFL than college like jshower thinks.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even consider him after this.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/10/03/video-mike-davis-cheap-shot-deon-broomfield-iowa-state/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

http://college-football.si.com/2013/10/03/video-mike-davis-cheap-shot-deon-broomfield-iowa-state/

Come on, you serious? That makes him undraftable for you?
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Come on, you serious? That makes him undraftable for you?

Going after a guys knees just for the hell of it? Definitely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Hard to get a feel on the context of the hit from that snippet of video, but it looks like there was a play in progress. There doesn't appear to be any vitriol in that hit. This wasn't the Blount sucker punch. This wouldn't even be up to talk about if I was looking into potentially drafting him. There are prospects with so many harsher questions that this isn't even a blip on the radar.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Hard to get a feel on the context of the hit from that snippet of video, but it looks like there was a play in progress. There doesn't appear to be any vitriol in that hit. This wasn't the Blount sucker punch. This wouldn't even be up to talk about if I was looking into potentially drafting him. There are prospects with so many harsher questions that this isn't even a blip on the radar.

Yeah, I kinda agree with jshowers and Forge. You hate to see a guy take an unnecessary shot to the knee like that, but it's not something that would make him undraftable.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the practice footage I saw, he was arguably the best route runner (in terms of setting up the defender and making a sharp cut) at the Senior Bowl. Broke a DBs ankle twice.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked him when I saw him as a freshman based on assumed progression but that never really happened. Doesn't really seem like he has naturally soft hands and that makes me very distrustful of him. Seems to fight the ball.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalgsr wrote:
From the practice footage I saw, he was arguably the best route runner (in terms of setting up the defender and making a sharp cut) at the Senior Bowl. Broke a DBs ankle twice.

I feel you. That double move on the sluggo was filthy.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, he can break ankles with the cuts he makes - real shame his hands aren't better.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a track and field sprinter/jumper type playing wide receiver. I don't think Davis was much of a track star though, couldn't find any info on him running/jumping while at Skyline.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like his demeanor on the field. He seems lackadaisical and careless. He drops balls consistently. Obviously really fast, but not much more than that.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
Forge wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Yeah, I kinda agree with jshowers and Forge. You hate to see a guy take an unnecessary shot to the knee like that, but it's not something that would make him undraftable.

its a dirty hit that some teams might question if they got the full story. some are no-nonsense types to that stuff.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: