Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins hire Dennis Hickey as GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would of been way better of with Mark Dominik. He can bring in top talent and with they way he does big contracts it won't hurt the team long term if things don't pan out. He also became better at drafting the last 2/3 seasons. Also able to move around the draft board if he wants.

Michael Johnson 11 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
green24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
He was going to be fired in Tampa. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hope he enjoys his one year of a pay day. Probably smart to accept it since it's probably a nice raise and who knows where he would be after the Bucs fired him.

On another note, John Carroll is the new big football mind place. I mention this because Caserio went there along with:

Tom Telesco
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels
Dave Caldwell
Brian Polian

And London Fletcher was there with some of them. Pretty crazy to see all those guys come from there at once.

They're like Eastern Illinois.

Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Brad Childress

Tony Romo
Jimmy Garoppolo
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Philbin will have the final say on the roster... like any other Dolphins-related news, fearing the worst but hoping this will work out somehow.... we still have talent on both sides of the ball, and it would be hard for him to be a downgrade from Ireland, at least.

Nacho Simulation Football League
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:

Hope he enjoys his one year of a pay day. Probably smart to accept it since it's probably a nice raise and who knows where he would be after the Bucs fired him.

On another note, John Carroll is the new big football mind place. I mention this because Caserio went there along with:

Tom Telesco
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels
Dave Caldwell
Brian Polian

And London Fletcher was there with some of them. Pretty crazy to see all those guys come from there at once.

Yep. It's kind of weird.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this guy actually bad at his job or is this one of those situations where he was being fired because the GM was being let go?

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Tom Telesco
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels
Dave Caldwell
Brian Polian

Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Brad Childress

Tony Romo
Jimmy Garoppolo

Yeah, but those guys have some distance between them (some more than others). The John Carroll guys were ALL there in the 90s...

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Is this guy actually bad at his job or is this one of those situations where he was being fired because the GM was being let go?

From what I understand, it was the latter - a new GM would've been likely to clear out the remaining executives. But it also should speak volumes that this guy wasn't even interviewed for the Bucs' G.M. opening.

Regardless, here's hoping he ends up being a better G.M. than he was an executive with the Bucs...

Nacho Simulation Football League
green24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
green24 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Tom Telesco
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels
Dave Caldwell
Brian Polian

Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Brad Childress

Tony Romo
Jimmy Garoppolo

Yeah, but those guys have some distance between them (some more than others). The John Carroll guys were ALL there in the 90s...

I think Shanahan and Childress overlapped a bit, but that is true.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

From what I understand, it was the latter - a new GM would've been likely to clear out the remaining executives. But it also should speak volumes that this guy wasn't even interviewed for the Bucs' G.M. opening.

Regardless, here's hoping he ends up being a better G.M. than he was an executive with the Bucs...

Yea but usually when a team fires the General, they don't want to hire the Lieutenant. Gaine wasn't offered the Miami GM job(although he was interviewed), imo, for the same reasons.

fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Yea but usually when a team fires the General, they don't want to hire the Lieutenant. Gaine wasn't offered the Miami GM job(although he was interviewed), imo, for the same reasons.
Exactly I don't claim to know just how good or bad he is but I refuse to let people convince me he is bad because he was being fired anyway. Any time a new staff or regime come in its out with old in with the new. Tampa Bay wanted to rid of anything to do with last year regardless of who's fault.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
As an outside I find this hiring really funny because it likely means the Dolphins are in for a long couple years.

However, being a Bills fan I know what its like to be laughed at by the league and I do feel bad for their true die hard fans. I just can't see this working out, he'll have the job less then a year I bet.

2015 Miami Dolphins:

New GM, New HC, maybe new QB.
I somewhat agree with this and right or wrong yes a new QB it would be 3 losing seasons as a starting QB. I like Tannehill feel bad he got his head kicked in with that mickey mouse offensive line. I thought for sure buffalo was going to put him in the hospital
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
As an outside I find this hiring really funny because it likely means the Dolphins are in for a long couple years.

However, being a Bills fan I know what its like to be laughed at by the league and I do feel bad for their true die hard fans. I just can't see this working out, he'll have the job less then a year I bet.

2015 Miami Dolphins:

New GM, New HC, maybe new QB.
The one thing they got right being gone? I don't think even Stephen Ross is that dumb.

Of course, if they don't fix that line soon he could be damaged goods.

New Gm and new coach almost always mean new QB. Especially if Tannehill doesn't blow anyone away. I think he is a good QB but imo he isn't a sure fire franchise guy that can survive a new HC.
sayheykid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were going to take anyone from Tampa Bay's FO they would have been far better off with Eric Stokes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:

Tom Telesco
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels
Dave Caldwell
Brian Polian

Bolded: All went to the same HS I went to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
Would of been way better of with Mark Dominik. He can bring in top talent and with they way he does big contracts it won't hurt the team long term if things don't pan out. He also became better at drafting the last 2/3 seasons. Also able to move around the draft board if he wants.

To be fair to the Dolphins they already have someone on staff that does a good job of managing the cap and the owner respects greatly.

Though she is potentially the reason the job was hard to fill, I expect Ross was saying something to the effect of "Mr GM candidate, you have control of the 53 man roster but Dawn Aponte controls the purse strings". I suspect the candidates who lost interest in the job wanted to be setting the contract numbers.

^ Jamison on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: