Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goldson or Reid?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJniners

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Goldson or Reid? Reply with quote

Simple question. Is Reid as good as Goldson was for us? If not do you think Reid will surpass him?
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As good? I'd say yes. Both have good range and hands for INTs. Both are good hitters that, at times, take poor angles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may not have been quite as good, but he started way higher than Goldson did as a young starter (he didn't even start as a rookie). His ceiling is much much higher than Goldson's, at this point. All he has to do is build on this season, and there's no doubt we're set at that position for a long time.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This answer is easy. Reid is less likely to take stupid penalties, cheaper, and way further along in his development than Dashon was at this point. While Reid doesn't come downhill with the authority that Goldson did, he's certainly not a liability and can insprire fear. I'd argue that he's already better in space in coverage, even in he's not primed to be an elite single high guy. He dropped a couple of easy picks this year, but you figure that won't happen in the future. Reid is the easy choice.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldson had a little better year in 2012 compared to Reid's 2013 season, but that's all you need to know. Goldson played his best ball in his career that year, and Reid was close to matching it in his rookie campaign. All the talk before the draft was how poor Reid is at times in coverage as he gets lost in space. Well, safe to say that wasn't much of a problem here. This is why I love to draft high potential but raw DB prospects as our coaching is as good as it gets. Not saying Reid was all that raw, but his coverage skills were not up to par.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many of us have any doubt that Reid will be better for us than Goldson was. It used to be good to have 2 enforcers at safety in the NFL. Things have changed. 2 enforcers now means twice as many personal foul penalties. Safeties need to be smart and coachable - and Reid is. He can hit too, but it's not prevalent in his game as Goldson.

Reid plays with confidence and is a good tackler. He is VERY smart and is more of a specimen than Goldson was as well - you won't see many mental errors with him, or as many gambles. He's one of the reasons our "big play" defense got better this year.

Love the kid. Very excited about him.
49erjunkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to go with reid. The guy is still kind of raw, and still played at a pro bowl level. Nice to see he is proving his critics wrong about his coverage skills.

Walter Redskins on the sig.
gridirongorilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Reid is a rookie and played about as well as Goldson makes this a no brainer. We haven't even seen how good Reid can getwhere we know what to expect from Goldson.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ried. He pretty much picked up where Goldson left off. If he doesnt knock himself out of the league he will be leaps better for us.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't play as well as godson did for the last few years. He was about the same in coverage. But gdson has him against te run. Reid took some really bad angles at times and missed quite a bit of tackles.

But i think he will definitely surpass him. Maybe as soon as next year

new sig... sorry alex
Frisco$finest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give me Eurrrick (Mayock pronunciation) Reid.

The drop off wasnt as big as most of us expected from a pro bowl player to a rookie. Eric is the more cerebral players, more athletic, higher upside, and didnt have a single penalty called on him in 2013.

Oh and cheaper : )

With that said, we do need Whitner back to give some thump to our defensive back field. We can't go from the hardest hitting safety duo in 2012 to the opposite for 2014. We need a thumper to set the tone.
Psychlone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta break down the original question into two parts... "Is Reid as good as Goldson was for us?" Yes as he comes cheaper, younger, has (by a small margin) better awareness and range, but doesn't intimidate the opponent as much with the pads. As far as if "Reid will surpass him?", agree with Gridirongreat#9 that my number #1 concern is the multiple concussions he's already had. The potential is there but a career can end real quick with these injuries especially in the new risk/liability averse NFL...
On that note, enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-byrM8W3w

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWhiteNGold wrote:
I don't think many of us have any doubt that Reid will be better for us than Goldson was. It used to be good to have 2 enforcers at safety in the NFL. Things have changed. 2 enforcers now means twice as many personal foul penalties. Safeties need to be smart and coachable - and Reid is. He can hit too, but it's not prevalent in his game as Goldson.

Reid plays with confidence and is a good tackler. He is VERY smart and is more of a specimen than Goldson was as well - you won't see many mental errors with him, or as many gambles. He's one of the reasons our "big play" defense got better this year.

Love the kid. Very excited about him.

Would actually disagree with this. He was more in control coming downhill than he was in college, but his tackling can still be problematic. He doesn't always take the best angles to the ball carrier, and he still sometimes doesn't wrap up, preferring to go for the big hit. He should get better at it, especially if he doesn't want to have his career cut short by the concussions that the others have mentioned.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'd still say he's a good tackler. Sometimes he takes bad angles or doesn't wrap up, but overall he's a good tackler with the potential to be a GREAT tackler. I mean he was seriously the only one that was able to get Lacy down at first contact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Eh, I'd still say he's a good tackler. Sometimes he takes bad angles or doesn't wrap up, but overall he's a good tackler with the potential to be a GREAT tackler. I mean he was seriously the only one that was able to get Lacy down at first contact.

Yeah, I guess we can compromise and say when he tackles correctly, he's a good, potentially very good tackler, and when he does it incorrectly, he's not Laughing

Except when he's trying to tackle Mike Tolbert...then it doesn't matter if he's doing it right or wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: