Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 QB's vs 2015 Qb's
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drfrey13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: 2014 QB's vs 2015 Qb's Reply with quote

How would you rank the two classes if you could combine them. I personally am starting to like the idea of trading down for more picks next year if Clowney is not there and maneuvering to get our QBOTF next year.

Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr

Mariota, Winston, Petty, Hundley

Also 2015 Free Agent QBs
Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Collin Kaepernick, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, Case Keenum

Most of the free agents will get resigned but this is a much stronger free agent class than this year. The draft QBs value will not be inflated as much and therefore costing us less to draft one next year. A lot can happen between now and next year but I like this strategy.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely next year w/o question.

PM sig requests.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2016 . . .

Hackenberg guy all the way.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next year looks alot better, but we honestly say that every single year it seems. I also hate the mindset of "waiting until next year to get X position", because quite frankly we have zero idea where we will be picking or what our needs will be.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Draft classes go, it's waaay too early to tell. Winston is good but right now most of the other QBs are one read and run athletes that dominate the position in college.

Also like you said most of those QBs will be resigned, and those who won't will be garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Bridgewater there isn't any other quartreback prospect that's really worth taking early and building around. You can make a case for taking Bortles early but he still has some holes in his game.

Next year you have a guy in Winston that is probably the best quarterback prospect we've seen since Andrew Luck. And then you have two other guys that should be a consensus top ten-fifteen prospects in Marcus Mariota and Brett Hundley.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
2016 . . .

Hackenberg guy all the way.

I'd be OK w/ this if he continues down the path he is now.

PM sig requests.
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next years QB class always looks better, until next year actually comes along and it doesn't. Rinse and repeat.

People have not even started to nit pick Winston yet they just went along with Florida state ride. This season they will start actually evaluating him as he will be eligible. Mariota will still be coming out of a gimmick offense and Brent Hundley has alot of development to do.

Plus there's always a couple of young guys that emerge that make people think the next draft will better and the cycle continues.

I remember the hype around Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson and Tyler Bray going into that year, Ej Manuel and Geno Smith were not really on the draft radar as early picks at the start.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the "next year" approach. If you see a QB who you think can be your guy, you take him.

With the exception of Andrew Luck, every year is "yeah, but next years class is so much better."

Then the Matt Barkleys, Tyler Wilsons, Jake Lockers, etc. of the world prove not worth the hype the following year.

And what happens if the Raiders are a middle of the pack team and are out of the top end QB next year? A team in rebuild mode can't mortgage the future for a QB (see Redskins, Washington).

So take your QB if you think he's the guy. Period. There isn't' an Andrew Luck type in 2015. They would all align in this class as QBs with flaws but potential.
OakleyCap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
So take your QB if you think he's the guy. Period. There isn't' an Andrew Luck type in 2015. They would all align in this class as QBs with flaws but potential.

Jameis Winston says hello. He has everything that you look for in a franchise quarterback.

Look at a guy like EJ Manuel who was the first quarterback taken in the 2013 draft and had a solid rookie season out in Buffalo. While he was leading the Florida State offense they were good but not elite. The difference between Winston and Manuel as players was very clear this season. Because despite playing with almost identical supporting casts Winston lead Florida State to one of the best seasons in school history while Manuel lead them to an Orange Bowl victory over Northern Illinois.

Winston is a special talent. Ponder and Manuel were both highly regarded and taken highly during their respective draft years and neither guy was able to operate the Florida State offense even close to as well as Winston was despite playing with very similar talent and in the same scheme.
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakleyCap wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Jameis Winston says hello. He has everything that you look for in a franchise quarterback.

Look at a guy like EJ Manuel who was the first quarterback taken in the 2013 draft and had a solid rookie season out in Buffalo. While he was leading the Florida State offense they were good but not elite. The difference between Winston and Manuel as players was very clear this season. Because despite playing with almost identical supporting casts Winston lead Florida State to one of the best seasons in school history while Manuel lead them to an Orange Bowl victory over Northern Illinois.

Winston is a special talent. Ponder and Manuel were both highly regarded and taken highly during their respective draft years and neither guy was able to operate the Florida State offense even close to as well as Winston was despite playing with very similar talent and in the same scheme.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, no one has really nitpicked him just yet. Watch this time next year people are going to be saying things that he is lacking, plus I don't think this team will be picking #1 anyway if he really is that Franchise guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, no one has really nitpicked him just yet. Watch this time next year people are going to be saying things that he is lacking, plus I don't think this team will be picking #1 anyway if he really is that Franchise guy.

EJ Manuel was the first quarterback off the board in 2013 as a redshirt senior and Winston was light years better as a redshirt freshman this past season and they were playing with almost identical supporting casts. Watch the tape and look at the numbers. The entire offense was on an entirely different level with Winston under center.

Winston last season as a redshirt freshman was more impressive than Andrew Luck was as a redshirt freshman.

IIRC Reality_Check, who talks to a ton of scouts and knows a bunch of NFL guys, said that a lot of NFL guys told him that they'd take Winston over Bridgewater in this years draft.
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakleyCap wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Winston might be the next great QB prospect but you have no idea where your team will be drafting next year, any front office that gambles on being bad enough to be in position to draft number 1 next year should be fired.

If you like a QB enough to draft him in the first round this year you take him and don't think twice.
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue why people would feel next years class is so much better...its not..I would even say NEXTs YR will be Worse (as far as those who are projected at the top).

1. Mariotta- I dont trust any Oregon QB; they all look good, even Dixon. Nothing is different to me about the flying Hawaiian outside of his speed. He has A LOT of work to do, if he wants to make it in the NFL.

2. Hundley- I dont see nothing special about him besides his size, good speed. Lacks a lot of QB skills.

3. Famous Jameis- So young, who knows what we will be saying about him next year. I know he had a remarkable season, but his bowl game really concerned me.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I think people get too caught up in the whole 'franchise' QB thing. No none of these guys are elite, amazing talent like Andrew Luck but neither was Joe Flacco or Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers. You don't have to have an out of this world prospect to turn around a team. You just have to find the right guy for your team and build around him. You gotta have the right system in place and draft good. Put good young pieces around him. Can Reggie do that? I don't know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: