Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJHTF Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJHawkTheFuture

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: AJHTF Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Players Leaving
Jermichael Finley-Move on following serious injury.
Marshal Newhouse-Plenty of opportunities but failed to take advantage of them. Routinely beat by speed rushers.
CJ Wilson-Offers little that can't be gained through draft/free agency.
James Starks-Odd man out in the backfield with Lacy's emergence.
Rob Francois-Decent special teamer, but role can be filled internally.
Ryan Pickett-Age has caught up with Ryan, address the DL position through draft and free agency.
MD Jennings
BJ Raji-Will price us out of the discussion for resigning.
Johnny Jolly-Injury combined with age/rust cause us to move on.

Noteable Players Resigned
Matt Flynn-Tried the free agency route, realizes his role is as a capable backup to Aaron.
Andrew Quarless-Played pretty well in Finley's place towards the end of the season, gets full season to see full potential while competing with Taylor and draftees.
Mike Neal-Provides good depth and is a solid rotational/situational player. Will push to start.
Sam Shields-Future at CB, especially with Tramon aging. Signs reasonable 4 year deal to remain in the Packers.
Evan Dietrich-Smith-Tries free agency, but doesn't find what he looks for.
John Kuhn-He's still a solid contributor for the Packers and takes a bit of a hometown discount to stay put.
James Jones-Tests the market like his last FA stint and yields the same result with the best offer coming from in house.
Jabari Lattimore-Young LB, solid special teamer, hopefully will develop to push Jones for starting role.

Renegotiates

Tramon Williams-Takes a bit of a paycut, but the deal is friendly and reasonable on both ends (somewhere in the $4-5 million range)

Free Agent Signings
Terrance Cody-Sits behind Haloti Ngata in Baltimore. He's 25 years old so we replace BJ Raji with a player two years younger. He can plug gaps and control the point of attack in the middle of the line.

Ryan Clark-Older player, but knows the defensive system. He agrees to a two year deal. Becomes a veteran leader in the clubhouse and brings a little attitude that the defense sorely needs.

1st- Timmy Jernigan-DT-FSU

2nd- Yawin Smallwood-ILB-Connecticut

3rd-Dion Bailey-S-USC

4th-Xavier Grimble-TE-USC

4th (Comp)-Tyler Larsen-C-Utah State

5th-Wesley Johnson-OT-Vandy

6th-Deion Belue-CB-Alabama

6 (Comp)-Chaz Sutton-DE-South Carolina

7th-Cain Kolter-WR-Northwestern

packerbacker87 with the belt sig!
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion Bailey, Sean Richardson, and Morgan Burnett are left when Clark retires after a year teaching the youngbloods to line up properly. Who plays deep in single high coverage? Nobody.
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking over some free agent defensive lineman and too I like the idea of adding Cody to the defense if we don't keep Pickett, Raji and Jolly. I think he can fit that role for us well, assuming he does not command that high of a salary.

As for the Draft, not sure how I feel about Jernigan and where he would fit in on our dline.
GO_FAVRE_U_SOB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best mock I have seen to date! Love every part of it. I really like the late flier on Kain Colter as a WR - he is explosive!

^^^^Airstrike082^^^^The Minister of Defense
Calvert28 wrote:
I really dont think Shepard is that good. Hes not a great runner.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love/hate relationship with this one. I think a lot of those picks are way too early though. I seriously think we could kick Grimble(because he's a HUGE reach) and knock each of those first 3 picks down to the next round and still get them with the exception of maybe Smallwood.

That said, I think Jernigan could pair up very well with Daniels which would allow us to possibly create a package with Daniels and Jernigan rushing with Cody pushing the pocket from the middle. Not a fan of Smallwood at all. He plays way too slow for an ILB, he can't shed blocks while getting pushed around too easily, he also can't break down for a tackle. Scouts clearly are obsessed with his size. I'd rather pick Zumwalt there. Bailey's got tackling issues too, the Larsen pick makes no sense if EDS stays, the Johnson pick is complete waste for a player who would be competing with literally 4 other guys for the back-up Guard position. Love the last two picks. Belue would be epic value if we got him in the 6th. He's a slightly slower version of Shields but is much more developed as a corner coming into the league.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO_FAVRE_U_SOB wrote:
The best mock I have seen to date! Love every part of it. I really like the late flier on Kain Colter as a WR - he is explosive!

This, only the opposite.

Cody sucks, Clark is slow, neither Jernigan nor Smallwood are improvements year 1 over what's playing. Bailey and Burnett have overlapping skillsets. Grimble is okay, Larsen isn't any good.
packattack86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Jernigan for us as he screams 4-3 DT IMO. I'd rather have Nix, Tuitt, or Hageman there.

I like Bailey and Grimble a lot, the rest is just ok.

I don't think Cody is a starting caliber NT, and Clark is not what this defense needs. They need young safety talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Northwestern plug! I'm happy just because of that.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Belue would be epic value if we got him in the 6th. He's a slightly slower version of Shields but is much more developed as a corner coming into the league.

Slightly slower? More like nowhere near as fast. Or talented. Or competent. 2 years with Belue on my fave team were 2 years too many. I want no part of him in GB. He was a monumental bust.

Amari Cooper for Heisman - 43 rec. 655 yds, 5 TDs
Pugger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the FAs you propose.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't get behind this one. I like Bailey and Grimble but I think you took Larsen too early. I think Larsen is going to be a good C/OG swing guy that might eventually start at C with the right program, but the 4th is too early for that value IMO. The first two picks either don't fit the scheme or are reaches on my Pre-combine board.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
Belue would be epic value if we got him in the 6th. He's a slightly slower version of Shields but is much more developed as a corner coming into the league.

Slightly slower? More like nowhere near as fast. Or talented. Or competent. 2 years with Belue on my fave team were 2 years too many. I want no part of him in GB. He was a monumental bust.

Belue runs a 4.4, Shields runs a 4.3. I'm also a huge Alabama homer but Belue is ranked as a 4th by many scouts and he's better off in zone coverage rather than man. We don't play man much anymore and Belue would serve as either a nickelback or a solid back-up. Definitely not starter material; I will give you that.

Also, what has Grimble done to garner such a high pick? He was in a pass happy offense but only got 25 catches and 2 TD's. He also spent half the season dinged up or injured.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: