Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DJ Haydens potential?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What type of player will Hayden become?
A lockdown corner (Sherman, Revis tier)
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Good but not elite corner
57%
 57%  [ 19 ]
Above average starter
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Average starter
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Rotational corner
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Complete bust
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem too caught up in his last game against the Eagles. Yeah, it was bad but in the 2 or 3 games before that, he wasn't even targeted that much. When a rookie CB isn't the opposing QBs favorite target, it means he's doing something right. I think he'll be a good starting CB, at least.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give an honest evaluation without a pass rush. With a pass rush I think anything is possible as he has all the tools to succeed.
Djackson205

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he will be a shut down type corner. First off, Reggie absolutely loved him. He was going to pick him 3rd, I think that says a lot. Second, he was almost always in the right position. He needs to work on finding the ball, but that takes time. He didn't seem to have a problem in college finding the ball so I think it'll come. He has great feet, is very fast, and I think he will be able to bulk up over the offseason.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
People seem too caught up in his last game against the Eagles. Yeah, it was bad but in the 2 or 3 games before that, he wasn't even targeted that much. When a rookie CB isn't the opposing QBs favorite target, it means he's doing something right. I think he'll be a good starting CB, at least.

This.

CB is one of the toughest positions for a rookie. Much like QB and WR, it usually takes a year or so to get up to speed. There is a reason the rookies are usually the prime targets for QBs to pick on.

Baggabonez wrote:
I can't give an honest evaluation without a pass rush. With a pass rush I think anything is possible as he has all the tools to succeed.

This also. Even good CBs can suffer without a pass rush.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
SPaceGhost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I see a lot of people saying DHall but I don't think he'll get burnt as much. Idk why but the name that pops more into my head than DHall's is Tory James if we have to name an ex Raider.

Tory James was a nickel for us, #3 behind C Woodson and E Allen... a #2 on other teams probably, but if that's the potential for DJ then we wasted a #1 draft pick. Evil or Very Mad *As a nickleback James was outstanding, but still, the comparison kinda hurts. Laughing
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit.

Someone made my point.

Too early to judge Hayden. And as Bagga said, let's get a steady pass rush and see what the CBs do then.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPaceGhost wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
I see a lot of people saying DHall but I don't think he'll get burnt as much. Idk why but the name that pops more into my head than DHall's is Tory James if we have to name an ex Raider.

Tory James was a nickel for us, #3 behind C Woodson and E Allen... a #2 on other teams probably, but if that's the potential for DJ then we wasted a #1 draft pick. Evil or Very Mad *As a nickleback James was outstanding, but still, the comparison kinda hurts. Laughing

He had a lot of PDs and a decent amount of picks in his time here and he started his last year here. The attacking the ball aspect is what I'm getting at.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen anything from DJ Hayden that would suggest him becoming an elite DB. Right now, I see him becoming a serviceable player - not good or bad. He has the physical tools, but the mental makeup wasn't there this year. I didn't see him display any confidence in any of the games. Of course, coming off that injury & not having a proper offseason also plays a huge role in that.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude looked alarmingly bad last year, hopefully he can step it up.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyHarry wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
meh i see him as a slot or #2 cb his weak tackling skills suck

+1 maybe the weak tackling had to do with him being timid coming back from the injury and the speed of the game.

He was a monster in college. He'll play way more freely next year with training camp and no injury issues. Also the only rookie cb to force a fumble if i'm correct so his tackling for sure is not bad especially for a cb. Sure he got burned against the eagles and peyton, but the pass rush was god awful and all the best cbs have good pass rushes from their FRONT 7 not requiring blitzes and having safety help. A cb is only as good as his team's pass rush.
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:

IMO, you don't need to be a good tackler to be a #1 CB. As long as he can cover and create turnovers, then he can be a #1 corner.

Not to compare their skills at all, but Prime Time was possibly the worst tackler in NFL history and he was also one of the greatest corners.

I'm not sure I agree that Hayden is a bad tackler. Dude hits people hard. He was probably timid due to the fact that he had recovered from a huge injury. I hope he bounces back next season with some intensity.

BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll never be good enough. We'll always wish he was better, bet.

If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:

IMO, you don't need to be a good tackler to be a #1 CB. As long as he can cover and create turnovers, then he can be a #1 corner.

Not to compare their skills at all, but Prime Time was possibly the worst tackler in NFL history and he was also one of the greatest corners.

I'm not sure I agree that Hayden is a bad tackler. Dude hits people hard. He was probably timid due to the fact that he had recovered from a huge injury. I hope he bounces back next season with some intensity.

I agree. He was a good tackler in college and that typically is something that translates to the NFL. I was just saying that on the list of traits required to be a #1 CB, tackling is a lot lower than coverage skills and ball skills IMO.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:

Laughing No he didn't.

He had one alarmingly bad game, but flashed high potential in others. It took Dee Milliner until week 15 to even play well, yet no one mentions him as a bad player.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:

Laughing No he didn't.

He had one alarmingly bad game, but flashed high potential in others. It took Dee Milliner until week 15 to even play well, yet no one mentions him as a bad player.

I remember him looking lost and getting burned with plenty of missed tackles in the limited amount of time he played, but yea Corner is one of the positions that take time to develop, look at Patrick Peterson, he didn't play all that great his first year, That's why I'm optimistic he can turn it around, but he hardly got any experience last year with missing training camp and getting injured early.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: