Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Defensive Line Woes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDN40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Our Defensive Line Woes Reply with quote

FA
Ryan Pickett
1.26 DL Datone Jones UCLA
5.34 DL Josh Boyd Mississippi State compensatory pick
1.28 LB Nick Perry (hybrid)
2.19 DL Jerel Worthy Michigan State from ARI through PHI
4.37 DL Mike Daniels Iowa compensatory selection
6.32 LB Ricky Elmore Arizona
7.30 DL Lawrence Guy Arizona State
2.24 DL Mike Neal Purdue
7.23 DL C.J. Wilson East Carolina
1.09 DL B.J. Raji Boston College
6.09 DL Jarius Wynn Georgia
4.03 LB Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest
1.16 DL Justin Harrell Tennessee
6.14 DL Johnny Jolly Texas A&M from STL; trade 2006 3.29, also received 4.12
7.45 DL Dave Tollefson N.W. Missouri State supplemental compensatory

Is it just me or have we invested a lot in a DL for running a 3-4 not to mention a 2-4 70% of the time ? The thing that stands out to me is the number of 1st and 2nd rounders. But the most alarming thing is that Jolly walked in straight from jail and became arguably our best DL. And now with the almost certain departure of Raji, along with the uncertaintly of Jolly, Pickett, Wilson, I would guess TT will be at it again, burning another first or second rounder on the DL. I am certainly a proponent of being strong in the trenches, but it seems like we are using a whole lot of our main (and only) resource on the DL, and still find ourselves in what I call no mans land. Just a few short months ago this was perceived to be a strength, and depending how things fall, its going to seem like we are starting over.
Your thoughts ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Defensive Line Woes Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
FA
Ryan Pickett
1.28 LB Nick Perry (hybrid)
6.32 LB Ricky Elmore Arizona
2.24 DL Mike Neal Purdue
4.03 LB Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest
1.16 DL Justin Harrell Tennessee
6.14 DL Johnny Jolly Texas A&M from STL; trade 2006 3.29, also received 4.12
7.45 DL Dave Tollefson N.W. Missouri State supplemental compensatory

Is it just me or have we invested a lot in a DL for running a 3-4 not to mention a 2-4 70% of the time ? The thing that stands out to me is the number of 1st and 2nd rounders. But the most alarming thing is that Jolly walked in straight from jail and became arguably our best DL. And now with the almost certain departure of Raji, along with the uncertaintly of Jolly, Pickett, Wilson, I would guess TT will be at it again, burning another first or second rounder on the DL. I am certainly a proponent of being strong in the trenches, but it seems like we are using a whole lot of our main (and only) resource on the DL, and still find ourselves in what I call no mans land. Just a few short months ago this was perceived to be a strength, and depending how things fall, its going to seem like we are starting over.
Your thoughts ?

To be fair, Perry is playing ROLB, not a DE position. 2011 both late round picks, Guy was on the PS and has been productive, just did not stick with GB. The real killers are Harrell, Raji and Neal (Worthy its too early to tell yet). Though at this point, Harrell would be nearing the end of his second contract and if he was productive, likely a few of the others would not have been drafted.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Defensive Line Woes Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
FA
Ryan Pickett

Fixed it to reflect how we got for the 34 dline when we were doing the 34.

And simply the 24 is the nickel formation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Defensive Line Woes Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:
FA
Ryan Pickett

Oops on Elmore - forgot to delete him. I think its unfair to delete Neal. He was drafted to be a DL in the second round and failed. I guess I should have left Perry off the list, but I still think he may end up somewhere other than OLB.
Regardless, we should be further along, and no way should Jolly walk on the field in stripes and be our best DL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Defensive Line Woes Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:
FA
Ryan Pickett

Oops on Elmore - forgot to delete him. I think its unfair to delete Neal. He was drafted to be a DL in the second round and failed. I guess I should have left Perry off the list, but I still think he may end up somewhere other than OLB.
Regardless, we should be further along, and no way should Jolly walk on the field in stripes and be our best DL.

No offense but JOlly was not our best DL. Neal was not failed i'm not sure anyone other the Capers, MM and TT know why we moved him to OLB. He had a good year in his last before the transition to OLB. Raji and Pickett are way better then Jolly, and i'd go as far as to say that fat Walden looked very good in his limited time last year.

WE've had some bad luck between Harrell and Thompson as DL and OLB that didn't pay out due to major injuries. Wynn who flashed at times and was on the Cowboys roster this year. Tollefson who was just a tweener and more of a 4-3 end. Lawrence Guy got plucked off our PS.

To be honest I don't think we've drafted very well at the position. We needed some height and length and have short and fat. Harrell sure would have been a great 3-4 LDE had he not been hurt kid had some raw power.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a high hit percentage to me
SDN40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_mana wrote:

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I see a bunch of 4-3 pieces, one bust in Neal, a square peg in a round hole in Perry, a top 10 bust in Raji and one unknown in Jones. Pickett works as a 3-4 NT but his time may have come and gone. Jolly is probably my favorite piece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, you're crazy. TT has not invested anything except low round picks in defensive talent, THAT is why our defense is bad.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
incognito_mana wrote:

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I see a bunch of 4-3 pieces, one bust in Neal, a square peg in a round hole in Perry, a top 10 bust in Raji and one unknown in Jones. Pickett works as a 3-4 NT but his time may have come and gone. Jolly is probably my favorite piece.

Laughing right there

95% of all drafted players are busts then.
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a load of underperformers in the first two rounds.
SDN40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
SDN40 wrote:
incognito_mana wrote:

Laughing right there

95% of all drafted players are busts then.

95% of drafted players have to switch positions ? We drafted Neal in the second round to be a starting DL. For whatever reason, most likely cuz he is a walking muscle tear at DL weight, he was moved. Not because that's where he belongs, not because thats where we need him, but as a last resort. Draft picks like that is what will land you ranked #25 in defense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:

95% of drafted players have to switch positions ? We drafted Neal in the second round to be a starting DL. For whatever reason, most likely cuz he is a walking muscle tear at DL weight, he was moved. Not because that's where he belongs, not because thats where we need him, but as a last resort. Draft picks like that is what will land you ranked #25 in defense.

so let's get this straight...any player that switches positions is now a bust?

ok...
SDN40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

ok...

Typical response, but I'll play along anyway. Damn right is the answer. If you want to play around with changing positions, you don't risk a second rounder doing it. Instead you draft good football players. To reiterate, Neal is not a success story - rather a a failed experiment who will soon be cut.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

ok...

Typical response, but I'll play along anyway. Damn right is the answer. If you want to play around with changing positions, you don't risk a second rounder doing it. Instead you draft good football players. To reiterate, Neal is not a success story - rather a a failed experiment who will soon be cut.

This is an absurd stance.

And he won't be cut since he's a free agent.

*busts* don't last as long as Neal does and get a 2nd contract like he will. He is a fine player.

Here's the next few defensive players taken after Neal:
Terrence Cody
Brandon Spikes
Pat Angerer
Jerome Murphy
Amari Spievey
Myron Lewis
*Morgan Burnett
Alex Carrington
D'Anthony Smith
Major Wright
Chad Jones

A few who are better, a few who are worse, a few who are much worse. LIS, if Neal is a bust, almost every player drafted is also a bust.
SDN40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by a fine player, you mean a tweener who won't excel at the position he was drafted for, or the position he was moved to, then yes - he is a fine player who at best is a lifelong backup and is part of the 25th ranked defense. I guess I have the bar set a bit higher when it comes to second round draft picks. I can only hope our future second round picks don't have the same "success". Neal is no different than Brohm in my eyes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: