Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns hire Mike Pettine as head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
coors wrote:
All of this time elapsed, and they pull the trigger on Pettine, who they could have had all along? Sure, maybe to the Browns FO doesn't care about public perception very much.. if at all, but this whole process for them seems to have been just a mess..

I don't get it, really. I mean, I get making fun of the Browns for firing what was (in my opinion) a good coach in Chud after a single year. But why does there seem to be so much criticism that the coaching search took so long? If I were looking for a guy to coach my NFL team, I would take as long as it took for me to feel 100% comfortable with a guy. One month is literally nothing (considering there is nothing for a head coach to do but twiddle his thumbs at this time of year), and they should be admired for taking their time instead of making a knee-jerk hire.

I don't know why, but it happens every year. The Eagles were criticized last year for taking a long time, but it sure seems like they got the right guy.

But there is stuff to do right now, most coaching staffs are in full swing on the draft (Senior Bowl, etc).
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
coors wrote:
All of this time elapsed, and they pull the trigger on Pettine, who they could have had all along? Sure, maybe to the Browns FO doesn't care about public perception very much.. if at all, but this whole process for them seems to have been just a mess..

I don't get it, really. I mean, I get making fun of the Browns for firing what was (in my opinion) a good coach in Chud after a single year. But why does there seem to be so much criticism that the coaching search took so long? If I were looking for a guy to coach my NFL team, I would take as long as it took for me to feel 100% comfortable with a guy. One month is literally nothing (considering there is nothing for a head coach to do but twiddle his thumbs at this time of year), and they should be admired for taking their time instead of making a knee-jerk hire.

I don't know why, but it happens every year. The Eagles were criticized last year for taking a long time, but it sure seems like they got the right guy.

But there is stuff to do right now, most coaching staffs are in full swing on the draft (Senior Bowl, etc).

The Eagles didn't really take that long. Only as long as it took for Chip Kelly to turn us down Sad
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad.

For Browns fans sakes, hopefully he is awarded more than one freaking season to right the ship.

He needs a QB. Cleveland wont be going anywhere without one.

Im hoping its Manziel. Cool
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

For Browns fans sakes, hopefully he is awarded more than one freaking season to right the ship.

surprisingly im on board with all of these statements
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

Well, it would be silly not to be on board with the first two....but you might be the first Browns fan Ive encounter on board with the 3rd. Wink
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

Well, it would be silly not to be on board with the first two....but you might be the first Browns fan Ive encounter on board with the 3rd. Wink

Someone hasn't viewed the 26 page Johnny Manziel thread in the Browns forum
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

im on board with any qb. my ability to judge qbs is minimal, especially since ive gotten busier with grad school and career. i just want a fn qb.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

im on board with any qb. my ability to judge qbs is minimal, especially since ive gotten busier with grad school and career. i just want a fn qb.

Manziel is an interesting prospect. All the talent is there but many worry about his personality. If Cleveland does select him, and they are rumored to be very interested, I hope for the Browns' sake they can settle him down some, because he could be an explosive playmaker in this league, and would easily be the Browns most talented Quarterback since... well, Otto Graham.

Nacho Simulation Football League
fatpig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

Manziel is an interesting prospect. All the talent is there but many worry about his personality. If Cleveland does select him, and they are rumored to be very interested, I hope for the Browns' sake they can settle him down some, because he could be an explosive playmaker in this league, and would easily be the Browns most talented Quarterback since... well, Otto Graham.

i'm also on board with this. i don't care that the guy has personality issues. the Browns never get QBs with an attitude. its clear that the nice guys (Quinn, Mccoy, Weeden) finish last.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

I skimmed through it, but most of the posts I saw werent on board with it.
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like most people either really like Manziel as a prospect or don't like him at all. I'm kind of in between. I'd prefer to draft a different QB, but I'm not sure I would hate the pick if he's Cleveland's selection. If he receives proper coaching, then he could possibly succeed in the NFL.
coors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
coors wrote:

I don't think that my post was "making fun of the Browns" much, if at all. I was saying that this new FO had been taking a long time compared to the other teams out there who were also looking for new HCs. I did say that it seemed to me that this whole thing has been a mess for them, because to me, and it seems like I am not in the minority on this one, does seem as a bit messy. If they just hired one of the coaches who lost this past weekend, or waited until after the SuperBowl and ended up getting one of those coaches, I would understand that they had to wait for their guy to come available. That's not what happened though.. they ended up going with Pettine who had been available all along. So yea, I don't think my first post was a "bash the Browns" type of post at all..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
coors wrote:

I don't think that my post was "making fun of the Browns" much, if at all. I was saying that this new FO had been taking a long time compared to the other teams out there who were also looking for new HCs. I did say that it seemed to me that this whole thing has been a mess for them, because to me, and it seems like I am not in the minority on this one, does seem as a bit messy. If they just hired one of the coaches who lost this past weekend, or waited until after the SuperBowl and ended up getting one of those coaches, I would understand that they had to wait for their guy to come available. That's not what happened though.. they ended up going with Pettine who had been available all along. So yea, I don't think my first post was a "bash the Browns" type of post at all..

Maybe they wanted to take their time to make sure they made the right hire.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

I skimmed through it, but most of the posts I saw werent on board with it.

Id say its ~ 50-50 at the moment
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad.

Make that 2 now Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: