Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchise/Transition Tags
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmishMafia wrote:
Sam Shields is not going anywhere.

[Neck Tat Pic]

What team is going to sign him with this tattoo?

LOL...I remember thinking that when he got it. It had slipped my mind since the serious Sam Shields FA talk had started. Thanks for reminding me.

One wonders if the neck tat factors into his attitude toward sticking with the team. It has to tilt the scales 20% our way, right?

Thinking about his unusual entry into the league as an undrafted free agent who had just made a position change a year earlier, was Sam going to be Sam no matter where he went as an UDFA? Or did we give him a unique shot that helped him find success? Maybe that chance we gave him deserves a bit of a home town discount?
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmishMafia wrote:

[NECK TAT]

Do you honestly think a team isn't going to sign him because of his neck tattoo? Teams pay for production, not tattoos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
AmishMafia wrote:

[NECK TAT]

Do you honestly think a team isn't going to sign him because of his neck tattoo? Teams pay for production, not tattoos.

oh
gadfly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Raji Reply with quote

My thoughts on Raji..

1. I believe what was said about him when he arrived at camp this year. Folks said the guy showed up in bad shape in terms of his off season conditioning. If you were in the last year of your rookie contract would you do this?

2. The Packers offered the guy $8 mill and he declined. "Stupid" is the word that comes to mind for him turning this down. "Dumb" are the Packers for offering to overpay the guy.

3. Somebody on here said Raji is not paid to make tackles. Well, its a good thing because the guy almost never makes one. Watch the film of him taking plays off, over pursuing, and just plain being taken out of plays.

Cut the $8 million offer in half and let him try his luck somewhere else.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Raji Reply with quote

gadfly wrote:
My thoughts on Raji..

1. I believe what was said about him when he arrived at camp this year. Folks said the guy showed up in bad shape in terms of his off season conditioning. If you were in the last year of your rookie contract would you do this?

do you also believe that Lacy was fat too like they said?
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much the learning disability thing is a turnoff for Shields in FA?

Or is it a complete non issue.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
I wonder how much the learning disability thing is a turnoff for Shields in FA?

Or is it a complete non issue.

at this point it's a non-issue for sure.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Raji Reply with quote

gadfly wrote:
My thoughts on Raji..

2. The Packers offered the guy $8 mill and he declined. "Stupid" is the word that comes to mind for him turning this down. "Dumb" are the Packers for offering to overpay the guy.

3. Somebody on here said Raji is not paid to make tackles. Well, its a good thing because the guy almost never makes one. Watch the film of him taking plays off, over pursuing, and just plain being taken out of plays.

Please, show us.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Raji had what 17 tackles this year and you want to pay him 7 million - that's like 40K per tackle. No team will pay Raji near what he wants and its a good thing Raji turned down the 8 million the Packers offered earlier this year. Raji is maybe - maybe a 3 million NT.

(sigh) ... Raji is not paid to make tackles. He is not paid to pressure. He is paid to stuff gap and occupy blockers. Take a look around at the best of those who play his position in this scheme. Using your attempt at logic, none of them should be paid much more than 3 million.
Granted, Raji did not have his best year, but you must have the big guys to do the dirty work for the LB's and others to make those tackles. The whole defensive scheme is predicated on that fact.

Raji will get a big contract. From us, or someone else.

Raji is three seasons removed from his "best year." He may not paid to make a lot of tackles, but seventeen? And, when was the last time he registered a sack? If he's this unmotivated in a contract year, think how indifferent Busari will be after he gets silly $$$.
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
AmishMafia wrote:

[NECK TAT]

It was a joke, for the most part. But as BlueSwede pointed out, it maybe a slight factor. Would you want a guy in our locker room with a big Dallas Cowboys tat? We are not talking about on his arm, its on his neck - constantly visible. If I was a GM, it would be a negative.
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
SE500 wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Raji had what 17 tackles this year and you want to pay him 7 million - that's like 40K per tackle. No team will pay Raji near what he wants and its a good thing Raji turned down the 8 million the Packers offered earlier this year. Raji is maybe - maybe a 3 million NT.

(sigh) ... Raji is not paid to make tackles. He is not paid to pressure. He is paid to stuff gap and occupy blockers. Take a look around at the best of those who play his position in this scheme. Using your attempt at logic, none of them should be paid much more than 3 million.
Granted, Raji did not have his best year, but you must have the big guys to do the dirty work for the LB's and others to make those tackles. The whole defensive scheme is predicated on that fact.

Raji will get a big contract. From us, or someone else.

Raji is three seasons removed from his "best year." He may not paid to make a lot of tackles, but seventeen? And, when was the last time he registered a sack? If he's this unmotivated in a contract year, think how indifferent Busari will be after he gets silly $$$.

Raji isn't getting many sacks? Well, he has not kicked any FGs either.

I'm not going to say Raji is a player we must retain, or that he has played particularly well. But, he is not asked to get to the QB. His objective is to take up blockers and to push the pocket. Which he doesn't do particularly well, either.

Personally, I think he should not be playing the 5T. He should be in there at NT. I thought less reps this last season would return him to form, it didn't. I'm not sure that we need to resign him. Let Minny give him a big contract.
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
SE500 wrote:

(sigh) ... Raji is not paid to make tackles. He is not paid to pressure. He is paid to stuff gap and occupy blockers.

Well let me know when he starts doing that then.

Laughing It would be nice if he made a few tackles however.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Raji Reply with quote

gadfly wrote:
My thoughts on Raji..

I found his play this year rather shocking considering this was a contract year. I really question his love of the game, frankly. Do we want to fork over big bucks to a guy like this? Yes, athletic fatties are as uncommon as hen's teeth but what good is this athleticism if he plays like this?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Raji Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
gadfly wrote:
My thoughts on Raji..

I found his play this year rather shocking considering this was a contract year. I really question his love of the game, frankly. Do we want to fork over big bucks to a guy like this? Yes, athletic fatties are as uncommon as hen's teeth but what good is this athleticism if he plays like this?

A high volume of strong run reps out of different looks is going to cost the big bucks. The sooner we accept Raji for what he is rather than what we desire him to the better.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Raji Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
gadfly wrote:
My thoughts on Raji..

A high volume of strong run reps out of different looks is going to cost the big bucks. The sooner we accept Raji for what he is rather than what we desire him to the better.

I agree with her. It's one thing to accept him for what he is, and quite another to pretend Raji better than he is, or that somehow he (and not the far superior Cullen Jenkins, who should have been re-signed in a front-loaded contract) is worthy of re-signing for twice the $$$ Jenkins ended up with; and that Raji should be paid $8-10 million a year because there are only so many (poor-mediocre 350 lb. football players on the planet).

I'm reminded of another promising fatty, Cletidus Hunt (who actually stepped it up in a contract year) and then disappeared after getting paid. Hunt was kept over Vonnie Holiday. There is no reason whatsoever to pay BJ Raji huge $$$ to play DE in Capers scheme. That's why the Packers drafted Daytone Jones.

Now, if they want to let Pickett walk into the sunset and put Raji back where he belongs (in this scheme, anyway) at NT, that's a possibility. That's probably TT's goal. Still, Raji's not exactly Wilfolk, Casey Hampton in prime or Haloti Ngata. Not. Even. Close. His current salary $5-6 million should be more than adequate.

More likely Raji will hit the open market and sign with a 4/3 team or one like NE, Seattle or Denver that employs a hybrid defense. They would, no doubt, make better use of BJ's size and natural abilities than Capers has over the years.

Of course, Raji (like Hawk, Burnett and Pickett) could very well be overpaid and re-signed by the Packers. Doing that practically guarantees GB will not have the $$$ to sign impact FA's who might actually fill a need (FS, ILB, DE), which is what you have predicted, Alex.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: