Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Turner Effect: what will our offense look like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 50m
Peterson also praised the (still unannounced) hiring of Norv Turner as #Vikings OC. Said he's a perfect fit for what they need. Story coming
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now Irvin thinks the world of the Vikings’ decision to hire Turner as new head coach Mike Zimmer’s offensive coordinator. As for the Cleveland Browns, who allowed Turner to walk when head coach Rob Chudzinski was fired after just one season, Irvin is anything but impressed.

“I’m absolutely blown away with Cleveland allowing what they’ve allowed to transpire with Norv,:” Irvin said today during Super Bowl XLVIII Media Day at the Prudential Center, home of the New Jersey Devils. “They had a guy like [receiver] Josh Gordon in Norv’s system, and I think he had the best year by a wide receiver after missing two games and playing with four different quarterbacks this season. To say, `OK, we’re changing up everything.’ That blows my mind.”

Gordon led the league in receiving and was an instrumental part of the Browns’ upset of the Vikings at the Metrodome in Week 3.

“Norv, with a guy like Adrian Peterson, will help the Vikings,” Irvin said. “A guy like Norv knows how to orchestrate an up-the-field passing game. The Vikings are usually playing defenses that stack the line of scrimmage because of the fear of Adrian Peterson. Norv is going to put defenses in some real binds. He’s going to develop an up-the-field passing game along with Adrian Peterson. To develop that down-the-field attack and then hand the ball off? It will be a dangerous combination.”

And, yes, Irvin believes Turner can do all of this with Matt Cassel or whichever quarterback the Vikings end up setting on in 2014.

“I watched Norv do it with four different quarterbacks with Josh Gordon last season, so he’ll find his quarterback,” Irvin said. “I don’t know if Cassel is his guy. But he’ll find his quarterback and he’ll find his passing system. I promise you that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/242446481.html
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
And now Irvin thinks the world of the Vikings’ decision to hire Turner as new head coach Mike Zimmer’s offensive coordinator. As for the Cleveland Browns, who allowed Turner to walk when head coach Rob Chudzinski was fired after just one season, Irvin is anything but impressed.

“I’m absolutely blown away with Cleveland allowing what they’ve allowed to transpire with Norv,:” Irvin said today during Super Bowl XLVIII Media Day at the Prudential Center, home of the New Jersey Devils. “They had a guy like [receiver] Josh Gordon in Norv’s system, and I think he had the best year by a wide receiver after missing two games and playing with four different quarterbacks this season. To say, `OK, we’re changing up everything.’ That blows my mind.”

Gordon led the league in receiving and was an instrumental part of the Browns’ upset of the Vikings at the Metrodome in Week 3.

“Norv, with a guy like Adrian Peterson, will help the Vikings,” Irvin said. “A guy like Norv knows how to orchestrate an up-the-field passing game. The Vikings are usually playing defenses that stack the line of scrimmage because of the fear of Adrian Peterson. Norv is going to put defenses in some real binds. He’s going to develop an up-the-field passing game along with Adrian Peterson. To develop that down-the-field attack and then hand the ball off? It will be a dangerous combination.”

And, yes, Irvin believes Turner can do all of this with Matt Cassel or whichever quarterback the Vikings end up setting on in 2014.

“I watched Norv do it with four different quarterbacks with Josh Gordon last season, so he’ll find his quarterback,” Irvin said. “I don’t know if Cassel is his guy. But he’ll find his quarterback and he’ll find his passing system. I promise you that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/242446481.html

now after reading that i am even more excited to see what he can do. not changing any faith in Norv that i've had just hearing someone say all that gets me jumpy for the draft and the upcoming season to see what our vikings can do.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also Peterson calls Turner a "perfect guy to come in"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/01/27/adrian-peterson-norv-turner-passing-offense/4948467/

gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

via Twitter Adam Schefter (@adamschefter):

Quote:
After Vikings hired former Steelers RB coach Kirby Wilson, Steelers now have hired former Vikings RB coach James Saxon. RB coach swap.

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
via Twitter Adam Schefter (@adamschefter):

Quote:
After Vikings hired former Steelers RB coach Kirby Wilson, Steelers now have hired former Vikings RB coach James Saxon. RB coach swap.

Saxon did alright, but Bieniemy was a hard act to pass up.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/01/27/adrian-peterson-norv-turner-passing-offense/4948467/

I hope they put Peterson in space more. Screens are a Turner speciality. This opens up downfield even more and longer than a power-run game alone.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:

I hope they put Peterson in space more. Screens are a Turner speciality. This opens up downfield even more and longer than a power-run game alone.

I wonder if AP is best suited for screens? Would a RB with receiving skills be needed? Or, CP on WR screens?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could certainly put Patterson in the backfield and throw Rb screen passes to him every once in awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
You could certainly put Patterson in the backfield and throw Rb screen passes to him every once in awhile.

Exactly how I feel, I'm more interested in seeing Patterson in open space, he's a more dangerous player that peterson in open space with his speed and agility. Peterson on the other hand doesn't need the space, a lot of times he can make his own space and get those 10-40 yard run which is really petersons specialty.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some of us wonder who exactly will be our "downfield threat WR" in Norv's offense. Right now under contract we have:

Greg Jennings
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
Rod Smith

The 1st 3 I think can be very good players in this league, but don't fit the bill for the new offense, so I was thinking...

What if we trade out of pick #8 and move back to anywhere from #12 to #18. Out of that, we could probably get a 2nd round pick and maybe a 4th? With (lets say pick #17 trading with Baltimore) we still get our guy with Derek Carr.

So, with a lot of ammo now in the 2nd round, do you move up and take Allen Robinson from PSU? I think he fits Norv's offense perfectly. Ideally, we give up a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a 5th, and still have another 2nd round, another 3rd and two 4ths.

What do you guys think?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
So, some of us wonder who exactly will be our "downfield threat WR" in Norv's offense. Right now under contract we have:

Greg Jennings
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
Rod Smith

The 1st 3 I think can be very good players in this league, but don't fit the bill for the new offense, so I was thinking...

What if we trade out of pick #8 and move back to anywhere from #12 to #18. Out of that, we could probably get a 2nd round pick and maybe a 4th? With (lets say pick #17 trading with Baltimore) we still get our guy with Derek Carr.

So, with a lot of ammo now in the 2nd round, do you move up and take Allen Robinson from PSU? I think he fits Norv's offense perfectly. Ideally, we give up a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a 5th, and still have another 2nd round, another 3rd and two 4ths.

What do you guys think?

Does no one think Cordarelle Patterson will be Turners' down field threat?? Now, I didn't see all the Vikings games, but he looked pretty good and pretty fast when he was in the offense when I saw him.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

Greg Jennings
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
Rod Smith

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't really say cordarrelle doesn't fit the Air Coryell offense. He is 6-2 220 with a 37in vertical jump so in all honesty he isn't 6-5 but he can still be a good post corner player.

I do agree with Robinson tho, big guy and would fit in well. I have him as my second best wr for the vikings in the draft after mike evans putting him ahead of players like Lee, Benjamin, and Beckham.

VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

Greg Jennings
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
Rod Smith

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't really say cordarrelle doesn't fit the Air Coryell offense. He is 6-2 220 with a 37in vertical jump so in all honesty he isn't 6-5 but he can still be a good post corner player.

I do agree with Robinson tho, big guy and would fit in well. I have him as my second best wr for the vikings in the draft after mike evans putting him ahead of players like Lee, Benjamin, and Beckham.

How is Greg Jennings not a downfield threat? Maybe he won't beat people in a sprint down the sideline, but he'll be open 15-25 yards downfield with crosses, posts, deep outs, etc. etc.

Also not sure how Jarius Wright isn't a deep threat.

The last thing this team needs is a WR early in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikesGuy07 wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

Greg Jennings
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
Rod Smith

What do you guys think?

How is Greg Jennings not a downfield threat? Maybe he won't beat people in a sprint down the sideline, but he'll be open 15-25 yards downfield with crosses, posts, deep outs, etc. etc.

Also not sure how Jarius Wright isn't a deep threat.

The last thing this team needs is a WR early in the draft.

I agree with you here. I think the defense gets the majority of the picks especially the early ones. Maybe a QB they like falls, but other than that the only offensive pick I think will be a guard and possibly late o-line depth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: