Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Hawk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byzr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk is solid contributor to our defense. he's not a top 10 ILB, he's probably not worth what we are paying him, and he's not a consistent playmaker.
he is however a veteran leader, consistent player, guy who took a pay cut to stay with the team, and he plays hard. i don't think we can replace Hawk without paying more and taking a big risk of not getting the same production.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk isn't the weak link here. I would rather repair the holes rather than upgrade something solid.

Hawk is the biggest Packer anomaly I can remember. He bigger and a better athlete than Clay. He seems to have the aptitude, attitude and passion for the game. Teammates say he makes incredible plays in practice. Why doesn't it translate to games? Why isn't he a borderline HOF player? I pegged him for a Nitschke type player and we got Brian Noble.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why people don't want to replace Hawk and I cant say they are wrong when looking at our defense as a hole. He isnt the weakest link and he does have some value in regards to consistency and being there every game. My beef with Hawk is that he isnt fluid at all, he is late reacting 9x out of 10 and he is put into coverage more often than he should be(not his fault). He just doesnt look very natural out there. I think someone with a little better sideline to sideline speed and reactions could actually upgrade that position pretty easily. I don't think we need Brian Urlacher back there, but I dont think Hawk is as hard to replace as people think and I think even a small upgrade there could do wonders for this defense. I advocated heavily for Dansby last year and think if he paired with Jones that the middle would be much improved. I dont think Hawk is going anywhere anytime soon, but I think him being replaced could provide a different dimension to our LB corp. I would love him as a backup, but starting he just is very blah.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmishMafia wrote:
Hawk isn't the weak link here. I would rather repair the holes rather than upgrade something solid.

Hawk is the biggest Packer anomaly I can remember. He bigger and a better athlete than Clay. He seems to have the aptitude, attitude and passion for the game. Teammates say he makes incredible plays in practice. Why doesn't it translate to games? Why isn't he a borderline HOF player? I pegged him for a Nitschke type player and we got Brian Noble.

Hawk's a better straight line athlete than Clay, but that and two bucks will get you a coke.
Hawkfan191

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Wj5DU-2es&feature=youtu.be
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
AmishMafia wrote:

Hawk's a better straight line athlete than Clay, but that and two bucks will get you a coke.

What I was saying is that although Hawk did have a faster 40 time, he also outperformed Clay in everything else: 3 cone, Shuttle, broad jump, vertical jump, and bench. All this and he weighed 8 lbs heavier than Clay.

Hawk still rates as one of the most athletic MLBs to come out of college in the last 10 years.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers mean nothing if they aren't functional on the football field though. I like Hawk, but there is nothing about his game the screams world class athlete to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Numbers mean nothing if they aren't functional on the football field though. I like Hawk, but there is nothing about his game the screams world class athlete to me.

I don't think anyone does. He is just an extremely high effort guy who knows this defense [but is a better WILL, I know]

PSN: ShiiNyIV
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

Understood. But athleticism is a big component to success. I don't care how great your hands and route running ability, if you run a 5.8 40 you are not going to be a WR.

I think there is some mental mechanism that assimilates vision and reacts physically, and this mechanism is slow in Hawk. That is my theory.

But if you have a guy in a porsche and he keeps getting beaten in an auto race by a guy in a yugo, something is not right.
packerrfan74

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread was enough to push me to retrieve my FF password.. AJ Hawk is average at best. The only reason I dont think we would ever part ways with him is because of his durability, and like others have said, he is a TRUE Packer. Personally, I am just tired of Hawk jumping on the pile to pick up his half a tackle.

S/O to CalhounLambeau for the sig
smetana34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Stupidity runs rampant in this thread. Pile jumper?

Right? What's worse is he appears to be quoting some other knob from a different site, nothing factual at all.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."

incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
smetana34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerrfan74 wrote:
this thread was enough to push me to retrieve my FF password.. AJ Hawk is average at best. The only reason I dont think we would ever part ways with him is because of his durability, and like others have said, he is a TRUE Packer. Personally, I am just tired of Hawk jumping on the pile to pick up his half a tackle.

Does anybody got proof to back that statement up? I've seen it a few times now. Clearly there must be a link to show that people aren't just pulling crap out of their behind.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."

incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
fan-59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
Stupidity runs rampant in this thread. Pile jumper?

Right? What's worse is he appears to be quoting some other knob from a different site, nothing factual at all.

right, and when we see Hawk pile jumping it's just our imagination Laughing

It's probably just our imagination playing tricks on us again as we imagine AJ Hawk is a better player than Mathews as well.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I don't think anyone does. He is just an extremely high effort guy who knows this defense [but is a better WILL, I know]

No doubt about that. I truly don't think TT was off by much when he made that pick. It is what it is, but in many ways the Capers hire is what held Hawk back from being a star in this league. If you put Hawk's straight line skills/motor combo at the WILL and just let him run down the football I bet many fans would view him a good bit different than they do right now. Reason why TT had to pay him also. The high bar of the market was not in the middle of a 30 front. Every team in the league could start Hawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

No doubt about that. I truly don't think TT was off by much when he made that pick. It is what it is, but in many ways the Capers hire is what held Hawk back from being a star in this league. If you put Hawk's straight line skills/motor combo at the WILL and just let him run down the football I bet many fans would view him a good bit different than they do right now. Reason why TT had to pay him also. The high bar of the market was not in the middle of a 30 front. Every team in the league could start Hawk.

He's what I consider a solid B guy. It's not flashy, like the A kids, but it gets the job done and pretty much every team in the NFL has at least 1 LB below a B. On about half the teams, their best guys might be Bs. When you add in what he does for this team with his consistency and football smarts, I think he earns his paychecks here in Green Bay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: