Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Hawk
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: AJ Hawk Reply with quote

Aj Hawk is an enigma to me. He flashes some brilliance at times for instance, the first game Clay went down and other times he is just a guy. Is it time to move on from him? Or is his solid knowledge of the game and durability still worth the price we are paying him?

I think his durability is what is keeping him here. He provides no playmaking ability in anything, he is your prototypical journeyman. I think if we want to improve our defense he needs to go. I would drop him and sign Karlos Dansby in a heartbeat. He isnt our weakest link, but he isnt our strongest link either. I think its time to move on personally.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a Packer. In every sense of the word. I'd personally like him a lot more as an outside linebacker in a 4-3, but I am content with him being on our time because he is a true Packer. He's durable as hell, he's not a MAJOR liability like Jones was this year or Bush or Bawa Jue (however you spell his name from all those years ago) or Carrol. And he has stepped up at a lot of points in his career. He had a big year this year and was finally involved in turnovers for the first time in a long time.

I want Hawk to retire a Packer.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has been discussed on this forum so many separate times it just makes me Rolling Eyes At this point you are already firm in your opinion of the guy and either like the roll he is playing on this team and appreciate him, or you just want to move on. There is no middle ground and I am not going to waste my time trying to persuade others on him one way or the other any more.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ Hawk would make a fine complimentary ILB on any NFL team, and certainly was when Desmond Bishop was in his prime in Green Bay. If you want to be fair and impartial, there is little doubt AJ Hawk was the very best LB on the team this year. He was durable, made some plays, and above all stayed on the field. Hawk certainly played better than Jones and Lattimore so getting rid of him at what he costs seems silly to me. My question for next year is do the Packers replace Jones at the other spot, not Hawk.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if we just got rid of Hawk this would be a great defense. I don't know how many times I saw Hawk this year grab Burnett or MD and hold them back from making a tackle.

Clearly Hawk was picked when TT didn't draft playmakers...

I don't get this thread at all. Hawk had one of his best seasons ever. THe guy plays through anything, is a leader on and off the field, does make turnovers at the most opportune times, takes a pay cut to stay with the team...

What do these folks assume we should replace him with? Lattimore? Franciose? Latticious?

Hawk is more than a JAG. Sure, he's not great or a HOFer, but you can win championships with guys like Hawk. Guys like Brad Jones? Not so much.
SE500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Move on from your teams leading tackler and QB of the front 7. He has consistently been the top or near the top tacklers on the team since drafted, he does nothing but make plays. Game after game. Give a defense 11 AJ Hawks and you'll have one of the very best defenses in the league. Everybody will be on the same page and in the right position, and everyone will make tackles and plays. Wow.
fan-59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
Yeah, if we just got rid of Hawk this would be a great defense. I don't know how many times I saw Hawk this year grab Burnett or MD and hold them back from making a tackle.

I don't get this thread at all. Hawk had one of his best seasons ever. THe guy plays through anything, is a leader on and off the field, does make turnovers at the most opportune times, takes a pay cut to stay with the team...

What do these folks assume we should replace him with? Lattimore? Franciose? Latticious?

Hawk is more than a JAG. Sure, he's not great or a HOFer, but you can win championships with guys like Hawk. Guys like Brad Jones? Not so much.

I think both could be up graded, Jones played very well in 012, and I expected even better play from him last year, but injury derailed my expectations of him.

we lack the lateral speed needed at the position, opposing teams gash us on the edge both running and passing, we do pretty well against the run between the hash marks, but the big yardage is given up off tackle, Hawk makes a lot of stops, but after good down and distance is achieved.

Hawk makes a lot of tackles, but then thats the job of a sam backer, and to often those tackles come at a price of a first down, and he's not much in coverage.
saying that, he is still good enough that it's hard to devote resources to replace him, it would most ;likely require a high draft pick.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk is a solid player .. he'd be even better if he had a top player next to him. The Packers need to look at adding a pro bowl type of athlete/talent to that position. They have been settling for garbage for the past couple of years.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spelled Brad Jones wrong.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk simply is not the problem. He actually had a pretty outstanding season. I think if we pair Hawk up with an athletic rookie, it would do wonders for the defense.
Jr911

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:

^^^THIS
pollino14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk's not part of the problem Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stop, really. Why don't we keep all of our average to below average players and just continue to march out a below average defense.

Hawk is a guy who is easily replaceable. Great guy, but replaceable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
Hawk's not part of the problem Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stop, really. Why don't we keep all of our average to below average players and just continue to march out a below average defense.

Hawk is a guy who is easily replaceable. Great guy, but replaceable.

I think you're confused here... The reason our defense is average is because guys like Hawk are the best players on the defense. I think making sure MD doesn't see the field, getting Lattimore and Jones less snaps, and our never ending resolving door at OLB take precedent.
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: AJ Hawk Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
Aj Hawk is an enigma to me. He flashes some brilliance at times for instance, the first game Clay went down and other times he is just a guy. Is it time to move on from him? Or is his solid knowledge of the game and durability still worth the price we are paying him?

I think his durability is what is keeping him here. He provides no playmaking ability in anything, he is your prototypical journeyman. I think if we want to improve our defense he needs to go. I would drop him and sign Karlos Dansby in a heartbeat. He isnt our weakest link, but he isnt our strongest link either. I think its time to move on personally.

I don't think he's all that special either but he is consistently voted as a team captain in the playoffs so his teammates must appreciate his leadership. The coaches must trust him in there too. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
I think you're confused here... The reason our defense is average is because guys like Hawk are the best players on the defense. I think making sure MD doesn't see the field, getting Lattimore and Jones less snaps, and our never ending resolving door at OLB take precedent.

And adding CB's so Davon House doesn't see the field and hope Micah Hyde improves in year 2. Hawk is replaceable but not all that easily(Tell me who in this draft can be the QB of our D and be an improvement). The ILB next to Hawk is more of a problem as you said.

Sig brought to you by Justo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: