Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Draft Discussion 4.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
I've been coming around to the idea of
Drafting Greg Robinson as well.

Arrow I've done two GM mocks in this past month (just made my pick in the second) and no one wants to trade up to the 8 slot. I've taken Robinson both times.

Arrow LG is the lone remaining weak spot on the line and Robinson was the #2 prep guard in the nation going in to college.

Arrow right now, his main weakness is pass protection, but it's more of a technique issue that it is athleticism or footwork. He bends too much at the waist. While that is ironed out, he has the ability and physical traits to be an all-pro guard

Arrow his future could still be at tackle. Phil Loadholt has three years remaining on his extension and will be 31 at the end of it; Robinson is one of the youngest players in the draft and will be 24 when Loadholts deal expires. We would then have the option of keeping Robinson at guard or moving him out to tackle.

Arrow personally, he is one of three players I have with a top five grade. The other two, Clowney and Watkins, will more than likely be gone.

How have your GM mocks looked? Do you mind posting the results?

I'll certainly post this one when it's finished. The other was kind of a mess with a lot of skipped picks, even in the first round.

So far, #8 you took Robinson. Who did you take at 40?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't quite that far yet.

Free agency was kind of a bust too. Oakland was throwing around a lot of money at inferior players. I made it to the top three on Alterraun Verner on a deal where I offered him top 3 AAV, #1 SB, and #1 guaranteed money.

I managed to nab Tony McDaniel as a stop gap nose tackle, and Danario Alexander as a boom/bust low risk deal.
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Free agency was kind of a bust too. Oakland was throwing around a lot of money at inferior players. I made it to the top three on Alterraun Verner on a deal where I offered him top 3 AAV, #1 SB, and #1 guaranteed money.

I managed to nab Tony McDaniel as a stop gap nose tackle, and Danario Alexander as a boom/bust low risk deal.

Oh. You said you just made your pick in the second. Maybe I didnt understand it correctly.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
People can point to the level of competition in the MWC, but remember, the level of talent on Fresno St is comparable. They aren't made up of elite 4-5 star recruits here.

He's not Blaine Gabbert, he's not his brother David Carr. And the last yet, He's not Christian Ponder. I fail to see the similarities here.

That's an odd point to make. Compared to other teams in the MWC, Fresno State is an annual conference contender. The point remain, every time he has had the opportunity to shine against big conference schools or in bowls games and important matchups, he's almost always struggled. QBs need to be gamers. If anyone should step up in those moments, it should be the team's most important player. Carr failed to do so in nearly every applicable instance.

Again - mechanics and fundamentals aren't the problem. Being David Carr's brother is not the problem. Playing for Fresno State is not the problem. The problem is his inability to make downfield throws consistently and a lack of big game production.

Quite the contrary, as well. Christian Ponder is a decent enough comparison.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worries me about Carr is his throwing off the back foot. A consistent and visible flaw. And what worries me even more is that he didn't improve this in 3 years.

I don't like QB @ 8 unless it's Teddy. And I'm pretty sure we won't get on @ 8. I could see a trade down for amo, then a trade up into late first to jump over the QB needy teams in early 2nd...as I think the QB frenzy will start there.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Oh. You said you just made your pick in the second. Maybe I didnt understand it correctly.

Poor wording on my part. I meant the second GM mock, not the second round .
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Tesfatsion ‏@MasterStrib 9m
Turner jab at Redskins owner Dan Snyder. Asked if he can win w/o franchise QB, said Snyder cut Brad Johnson bc he wasn't SB QB. Won w/TB
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
What worries me about Carr is his throwing off the back foot. A consistent and visible flaw. And what worries me even more is that he didn't improve this in 3 years.

I don't like QB @ 8 unless it's Teddy. And I'm pretty sure we won't get on @ 8. I could see a trade down for amo, then a trade up into late first to jump over the QB needy teams in early 2nd...as I think the QB frenzy will start there.

In my opinion, the Fresno St Air Raid offense made Carr sacrifice mechanics for results. What I mean by this is, the offense is predicated on getting the ball out as quickly as possible; often times with a free pass rusher closing in on you. Carr has such an elite arm, it was probably a necessary evil to sacrifice the footwork to make sure the ball gets to the receivers as soon as possible.

Also in 2012, he played the entire season with an abdominal tear. He was a little skittish then because he was protecting the injury.

Here is a good article about the injury and how it affected Carr.
[url]
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/7/24/4554408/derek-carr-2012-abdominal-tear[/url]

Quote:
Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr was one of the best quarterbacks in all of FBS last year, as he threw for 4,104 yards and 37 touchdowns while leading the Bulldogs to a three-way share of the Mountain West title. Carr also was named the Mountain West offensive player of the year in 2012. He did all of that while playing the entire season with a torn abdominal muscle, which he suffered in fall camp.

That is right, Carr had one of the best seasons for a quarterback and he had a torn muscle which required surgery in January. Carr did not want to tell any of his teammates because he did not want to distract the team. Only the coaches and training staff knew about the injury, and three weeks into the 2012 season the staff had to change how they handled practice as to not hurt Carr any further.

Carr said that it hurt to sneeze and he was always in pain. Also due to the injury the offense was unable to do any zone reads, roll outs and even some play action was unable to be called due to his injury. That apparently is a big chunk of the playbook that went unused for the majority of the season.

Criticism for Carr last year was that he had trouble getting out of the pocket when pressure came, and now it makes more sense that he could not move around due to being injured.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the mechanical debate. Carr was given very little in the way of mechanical coaching from the coaching staff. They wanted the ball out quick, without worrying about how it looked.

As jshowers pointed out in his QB breakdown. Based on physical tools, Carr is a first round prospect, but his mechanical refinement, in regards to footwork, is that of a lesser prospect.
jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Matt Stafford was available at 8 this year, would you take him?

But I call to God, and the LORD will save me."
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
No. He's a one-dimensional overrated QB. Wouldn't be squat without Megatron too.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking

Last edited by DJpillz317 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

Matt Stafford with greater mobility, and a higher football IQ?

Yes, please.
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

Matt Stafford has thrown for over 5k yards in a season, and over 40 tds a year once.

So yes please.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

In my opinion, the Fresno St Air Raid offense made Carr sacrifice mechanics for results. What I mean by this is, the offense is predicated on getting the ball out as quickly as possible; often times with a free pass rusher closing in on you. Carr has such an elite arm, it was probably a necessary evil to sacrifice the footwork to make sure the ball gets to the receivers as soon as possible.

Also in 2012, he played the entire season with an abdominal tear. He was a little skittish then because he was protecting the injury.

[url]
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/7/24/4554408/derek-carr-2012-abdominal-tear[/url]

Quote:
Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr was one of the best quarterbacks in all of FBS last year, as he threw for 4,104 yards and 37 touchdowns while leading the Bulldogs to a three-way share of the Mountain West title. Carr also was named the Mountain West offensive player of the year in 2012. He did all of that while playing the entire season with a torn abdominal muscle, which he suffered in fall camp.

That is right, Carr had one of the best seasons for a quarterback and he had a torn muscle which required surgery in January. Carr did not want to tell any of his teammates because he did not want to distract the team. Only the coaches and training staff knew about the injury, and three weeks into the 2012 season the staff had to change how they handled practice as to not hurt Carr any further.

Carr said that it hurt to sneeze and he was always in pain. Also due to the injury the offense was unable to do any zone reads, roll outs and even some play action was unable to be called due to his injury. That apparently is a big chunk of the playbook that went unused for the majority of the season.

Criticism for Carr last year was that he had trouble getting out of the pocket when pressure came, and now it makes more sense that he could not move around due to being injured.

I'm tired of the excuses, this is Ponder 2.0 coming outta FSU.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
SodakViking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJpillz317 wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

[url]

Quote:

I'm tired of the excuses, this is Ponder 2.0 coming outta FSU.

I really don't understand the Ponder comparisons...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 72 of 100

Jump to: