Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da_Zou13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
And being Jerry Rice's cousin honestly doesn't mean anything. How many brothers/cousins etc., don't even make it to the show.

Because Carson Palmer was good, that doesn't mean Jordan was a first round pick.

Because Aaron Rodgers is great, that doesn't make Jordan great

IDK where this came from and didn't even know he was Rice's cousin. I agree with you though.

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I'm not hating on Matthews, just saying I think there is better game breaker type of receivers that might be available.

Yes, Cooks is a guy I like and OBJ too but they could be gone by the time we pick. I see these 3 guys as similar value and wouldn't mind taking either of them at our pick.

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Catapano has arguably the most talked about work ethic on our team, but he didn't steal playing time from other DEs on our team.

Well he was a late round pick and didn't have the actual raw talent that Matthews has. Not a fair comparison really other than the talent level for both positions is similar. We need to add someone on the Dline, but IMO WR is more important.

Props to LOTO on the sig.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I like Matthews, but one of his biggest knocks is that he fails to get separation. We already have a big bodied guy with those issues.

Also for being a big guy he doesn't seem high point the ball as much as I'd like.

Jerry Rice hardly got separation either Laughing

But seriously I think he's a great heir-apparent for Bowe and his ridiculous contract. Only potentially better than Bowe.
DT58_lives_on wrote:
The issue with work ethic is that the people talking about work ethic may evaluate how hard someone works by different things.

When scouts universally give a prospect the thumbs-up with work ethic I'm gonna take the benefit of the doubt. Its widely known he's a hard worker, you don't break SEC receiving records at Vandy of all places by slacking.

Quote:
And being Jerry Rice's cousin honestly doesn't mean anything. How many brothers/cousins etc., don't even make it to the show.

Yeah but I can say the exact same in reverse, plenty of family around the NFL.

I'm not basing my view of Matthews on him being Rice's cousin. Knowing this now though its plain as day who Matthews is basing his game on. Very similar, or at least Matthews is trying to be.

Quote:
Because Aaron Rodgers is great, that doesn't make Jordan great, and I'm betting these guys have more interaction with their brothers than Rice does with Matthews.

Interaction isn't necessarily a good thing. Its different for everybody, some people relish it, others fall victim to the casted long shadow and high expectations. Jerry Rice jr. is Draft-eligible this year, I bet you had no idea.

Quote:
I'm not hating on Matthews, just saying I think there is better game breaker type of receivers that might be available. Now if we'd move back a few spots, and other guys are gone, be all over it, as he is a talented WR with a good upside. Work ethic is great, and something you want in all your players, but as a rookie coming in, you can only count it for so much. Catapano has arguably the most talked about work ethic on our team, but he didn't steal playing time from other DEs on our team.

Matthews is a guy I take if ODB/Cooks fall victim to that WR-needy gauntlet between the Jets pick and Philly.

Catapano was also from Princeton, how is that even a comparison? C'mon man
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ODB and Cooks are gone, I'd have to take a long hard look as the receivers that are left.

Does that make Lee available? Benjamin is someone I've seen mocked to us, McShay has us taking the dude from Indiana. So I don't know that I have anything against Matthews at that point as I said. I just don't know that I'd take him OVER a Cooks/ODB Jr.

You talk about Princeton as if Vanderbilt is some football powerhouse. I get that he faced much better competition than Catapano, I'm just saying work ethic isn't everything. But you have prompted me to go look at some more tape on the kid, so good job there.

I guess what I was getting at, is when a guy is a 1st round pick, the question of work ethic shouldn't even be an issue. These are the guys that have talent and still work hard to be better than everyone else. Otherwise you end up with JaWalrus.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews also dropped a lot of passes at the Senior Bowl. One thing I certainly like about Matthews over Cooks and ODB Jr. Did 21 reps at 225, Cooks did 16 and ODB only did 7!
Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
If ODB and Cooks are gone, I'd have to take a long hard look as the receivers that are left.

Does that make Lee available? Benjamin is someone I've seen mocked to us, McShay has us taking the dude from Indiana. So I don't know that I have anything against Matthews at that point as I said. I just don't know that I'd take him OVER a Cooks/ODB Jr.

Yeah I don't like any of those other guys more than Matthews, well maybe Lee, but Matthews is probably the better prospect.

Quote:
You talk about Princeton as if Vanderbilt is some football powerhouse. I get that he faced much better competition than Catapano, I'm just saying work ethic isn't everything. But you have prompted me to go look at some more tape on the kid, so good job there.

I'm still not seeing the comparison really, Cat had to switch positions and gain weight on top of being a Rookie from the Ivy League. Matthews is a polished WR that broke major conference records with little to no help on offense around him.

I would've gone the Darrius Heyward-Bey route, he's got the greatest work ethic reportedly but still sucks.

Quote:
I guess what I was getting at, is when a guy is a 1st round pick, the question of work ethic shouldn't even be an issue. These are the guys that have talent and still work hard to be better than everyone else. Otherwise you end up with JaWalrus.

Yeah but Jadaveon Clowney is a top 2 pick, sometimes guys have all the athletic ability in the world and squander it. Hard to pinpoint that per prospect, i can go on about Matthews, but he could see the money and run. Crazy what happens to people that get rich.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering why Nolan Nawrocki says Matthews "can be moody and has some diva in him"?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:

DT, don't forget about Davante Adams.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I want nothing to do with Benjamin. I have no clue why draft "experts" seem to have more of a buzz about Benjamin while Matthews languishes in relative obscurity all things considered. There is way too much talk about Benjamin and not enough talk about Matthews in draft circles. This doesn't mean I am a huge Matthews fan but really more a case of me not a fan of Benjamin at all.

Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Personally, I want nothing to do with Benjamin. I have no clue why draft "experts" seem to have more of a buzz about Benjamin while Matthews languishes in relative obscurity all things considered. There is way too much talk about Benjamin and not enough talk about Matthews in draft circles. This doesn't mean I am a huge Matthews fan but really more a case of me not a fan of Benjamin at all.

Probably because Benjamin played a key role in Florida State winning a National Championship. Plus he's gigantic and has that untapped potential everybody seems to like.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Herm Edwards is on 810am this morning talking about the Chiefs secondary and he mentioned a small school guy as a middle round prospect he really likes and thinks would be a good fit.

Pierre Desir
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1714348/pierre-desir

He says the Chiefs need a guy in the secondary that makes consistent plays on the ball and that's what he really likes about this guy. He thinks his size and natural ball skills make him a really intriguing prospect. He's not technically sound and will be a work in progress, but that's ok. He wasn't asked specifically about players.. he went out of his way to bring him up.

52 PBU's and 25 INT's
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

86, check out my mock draft! Apparently Herm and I think alike. I'm totally down with having a GREAT talent evaluator like Herm thinking that about Desir.
wishbone20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
kingseanjohn wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
I just want a WR that is ABOVE average at catching the ball. We can teach a lot of things. You can't teach speed, and you hope only to improve consistency.

So you want someone who has say 128 catches and only dropped 4.17% of passes?

http://youtu.be/BSl819zOVLI

I'm telling you. This is the man for KC!

I'd rather have Beckham cause Cooks will drop passes in the NFL that he didn't in college cause he doesn't always hands catch. I think Beckham does a better job of that and will be more sure handed in the NFL. He's my #3 for KC behind Watkins and Beckham though.

Idk man. The body catches were when he was clear of defenders or making over the shoulder catches. His awareness of his surroundings is what makes him special. I don't feel like it's a sure thing that he suddenly begins to drop passes. Both guys have huge hands and I like them both. I do think Cooks is a bit of a better fit due to what I think is a bit more field speed and a little shakier.
valkrei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am good with ODB or Cooks. Both look like great players and much needed on this team.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Mikek163

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
I am good with ODB or Cooks. Both look like great players and much needed on this team.

I have a sneaking suspicion when the draft is all said and done Cooks will be a top 12-15 pick. His skill set will remind teams of Tavon Austin (Who the Jets wanted badly remember). A team will move up a couple spots and grab him in that range imo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340599/article/fsu-wr-kelvin-benjamin-blows-off-nfl-team-workout

Apparently Benjamin blew off a NFL HEAD COACH who came in specifically to see him. For a guy who has had a lot of effort questions, was borderline first round and with the depth of this class, this could really drop him. Too many talented receivers in this draft to not be going all out. I don't care how talented this kid "COULD" be, his attitude sucks in my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 10 of 37

Jump to: