Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft General Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: 2014 NFL Draft General Thread Reply with quote

I figured I would create this topic so we don't blow up the Stanley Jean-Baptiste thread! LOL

This could be the one stop shop for all general draft talk or talking about specific prospects we like/don't like that don't have a specific draft profile thread.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
chiefs82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call nic!

Im gonna star this off by saying WR Jordan Matthews is severely under rated in this forum. I know RVM will disagree, but the kid is tough as nails, will go to the middle of the field and take his hits, and runs crisp routes. Not to mention, he has unbelievable intangibles that cant be taught and will out work, out hustle and out study most players.

Is he a Calvin Johnson type athlete, no. But whats wrong if he turn out to be a Jordy Nelson type player?

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:3/TFL:2/Sacks:2/FF:0/FR:0
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really been liking Timmy Jernigan lately.

Dude is a beast, non-stop motor, incredible strength, and makes OL look silly with his hand use. One of the best players in the national championship game and he was sick with the flu.

Don't know how well he fits a 34 scheme at 6'2, but inside next to Poe in sub-packages would be sweet.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefs82 wrote:
Good call nic!

Im gonna star this off by saying WR Jordan Matthews is severely under rated in this forum. I know RVM will disagree, but the kid is tough as nails, will go to the middle of the field and take his hits, and runs crisp routes. Not to mention, he has unbelievable intangibles that cant be taught and will out work, out hustle and out study most players.

Is he a Calvin Johnson type athlete, no. But whats wrong if he turn out to be a Jordy Nelson type player?

I like Jordan Matthews alot as well. My main issue he is alot like Dwayne Bowe and IMO projects more as a replacement for Bowe as opposed to a compliment to Bowe in the traditional sense. It comes down to some of the same concerns about Bowe hold true for Matthews. There are questions about whether he can consistently create separation on his routes. My big concern is that we would essentially have very similar players at #1 and #2 and struggle with finding a player that will be on the field and consistently stretch the field. I believe that is why the front office and coaching staff went after Donnie Avery w ho has the speed to take the top off of the defense and open things up for Bowe underneath.

I will say that I do agree with you, Matthews has the intangibles that you look for in a #1. If we were able to part ways with Bowe and were inclined to do so, Matthews and to a lesser extent Mike Evans, Cody Lattimer, and Donte Moncrief for example would be solid options in this draft class.

Examples of what I am talking about as "complimentary" wide receivers to Bowe (and who would be projected eventual replacement for Avery) IMO are :

Sammy Watkins, Clemson
Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
Marquise Lee, USC
Brandon Cooks, Oregon State
Paul Richardson, Colorado

Examples of intermediate prospects that IMO aren't really true equivalent replacements (not necessarily talent equivalents but more playing style/roles) at this point but also aren't in the same category as the prospects noted above :

Davante Adams, Fresno State
Allen Robinson, Penn State
Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
Jarvis Landry, LSU
Martavis Bryant, Clemson
Brandon Coleman, Rutgers

These are players that could develop into possession receivers and also have some big play ability but at this point in time don't really fit in either category.

chiefs82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see ypu point nic, i was just sticking up for Matthews, not as a possible Chief, but as a prospect in general.

I like Paul Richardson, could be our Hilton, T.Y. that is, not Paris Wink Laughing

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:3/TFL:2/Sacks:2/FF:0/FR:0
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Really been liking Timmy Jernigan lately.

Dude is a beast, non-stop motor, incredible strength, and makes OL look silly with his hand use. One of the best players in the national championship game and he was sick with the flu.

Don't know how well he fits a 34 scheme at 6'2, but inside next to Poe in sub-packages would be sweet.

Chiefer, yeah, I am not really sure how well Jernigan fits in our defensive scheme considering when we would likely need to select him in order to get him before the 4-3 teams go after him. I think there probably is better value prospects that might be better fits overall for our scheme.

There are a couple of players I like as potential 2-gap 3-4 DEs (in no particular order) :

Josh Mauro, Stanford (could play 1-gap IMO)
Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina (could play 1-gap IMO)
Daniel McCullers, Tennessee
Jay Bromley, Syracuse (could play 1-gap IMO)
Ed Stinson, Alabama
Taylor Hart, Oregon

There are also some players I see being potential 1-gap 3-4 DEs (in no particular order) :

Kony Ealy, Missouri
Brent Urban, Virginia
Kareem Martin, North Carolina
Will Clarke, West Virginia

I am not saying the above players would necessarily be pidgeon-holed into one category or another (1-gap vs. 2-gap), I just see some being better suited for one or the other and in some cases, I see some versatility.

There is another group that I would call "jumbo" 5-techs that could potentially provide us with a 2-gap 3-4 DE and also some versatility of swapping positions with Dontari Poe based subpackages (think Ryan Pickett and B.J. Raji in Green Bay), these would be examples of the Ryan Pickett if Dontari Poe is B.J. Raji :

Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech
DaQuan Jones, Penn State
Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want a WR that is ABOVE average at catching the ball. We can teach a lot of things. You can't teach speed, and you hope only to improve consistency. I think that's why I like ODB Jr.

Watched a lot of WI games this year, so I'll start with a couple prospects from there. Another good hands guy is Abberderis, probably not the fastest guy around, but an all around solid player. Decent (not great) size at 6'2"

A prospect I'm really interested in to see where he ends up is Borland from WI. I was high on him last year before he decided not to declare. Guy is a buzz-saw type of player and finds his way to the ball. I'm thinking of him as a Kuechley type of player, and I think he'd perform well along side DJ. And he does the one thing I think our D needs to improve on the most (besides not having Kendrick Lewis)...the guy is a tackling machine.
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I just want a WR that is ABOVE average at catching the ball. We can teach a lot of things. You can't teach speed, and you hope only to improve consistency.

So you want someone who has say 128 catches and only dropped 4.17% of passes?

http://youtu.be/BSl819zOVLI

I'm telling you. This is the man for KC!

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:9/Yds:23/TD:0/YPC:2.6
Rec:5/Yds:23/TD:0
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
I just want a WR that is ABOVE average at catching the ball. We can teach a lot of things. You can't teach speed, and you hope only to improve consistency.

I'd rather have Beckham cause Cooks will drop passes in the NFL that he didn't in college cause he doesn't always hands catch. I think Beckham does a better job of that and will be more sure handed in the NFL. He's my #3 for KC behind Watkins and Beckham though.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I just want a WR that is ABOVE average at catching the ball. We can teach a lot of things. You can't teach speed, and you hope only to improve consistency. I think that's why I like ODB Jr.

Watched a lot of WI games this year, so I'll start with a couple prospects from there. Another good hands guy is Abberderis, probably not the fastest guy around, but an all around solid player. Decent (not great) size at 6'2"

A prospect I'm really interested in to see where he ends up is Borland from WI. I was high on him last year before he decided not to declare. Guy is a buzz-saw type of player and finds his way to the ball. I'm thinking of him as a Kuechley type of player, and I think he'd perform well along side DJ. And he does the one thing I think our D needs to improve on the most (besides not having Kendrick Lewis)...the guy is a tackling machine.

Borland is reportedly realling impressing people at the Senior Bowl practices with his natural instincts, quick read-and-react, and ability to fly to the ball. He would be an interesting later round pick (5th round and beyond) for us. I don't see us getting the value out of the pick if we selected him any sooner considering BPA and value.

I hope we can re-sign Akeem Jordan to a very reasonable contract as a stop-gap. Hopefully Nico Johnson can earn more snaps in the regular season and eventually work himself into a starting role.

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
Good call nic!

I like Jordan Matthews alot as well. My main issue he is alot like Dwayne Bowe and IMO projects more as a replacement for Bowe as opposed to a compliment to Bowe in the traditional sense. It comes down to some of the same concerns about Bowe hold true for Matthews. There are questions about whether he can consistently create separation on his routes. My big concern is that we would essentially have very similar players at #1 and #2 and struggle with finding a player that will be on the field and consistently stretch the field. I believe that is why the front office and coaching staff went after Donnie Avery w ho has the speed to take the top off of the defense and open things up for Bowe underneath.

I will say that I do agree with you, Matthews has the intangibles that you look for in a #1. If we were able to part ways with Bowe and were inclined to do so, Matthews and to a lesser extent Mike Evans, Cody Lattimer, and Donte Moncrief for example would be solid options in this draft class.

Examples of what I am talking about as "complimentary" wide receivers to Bowe (and who would be projected eventual replacement for Avery) IMO are :

Sammy Watkins, Clemson
Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
Marquise Lee, USC

Help me understand something....if these players are mere "eventual" replacements for Donnie "stones" Avery, why are we drafting them? There is no way Avery should line up as a day one starter next year..

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

down 20-0 and went out of bounds for really no reason at 1:56....good player, but no thank you.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
Good call nic!

Sammy Watkins, Clemson
Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
Marquise Lee, USC

Help me understand something....if these players are mere "eventual" replacements for Donnie "stones" Avery, why are we drafting them? There is no way Avery should line up as a day one starter next year..

I guess I don't look at draft picks as automatically coming in on day 1 to a starting role. Do I think Andy Reid and John Dorsey are going to cut Donnie Avery after 1 year? I think they would prefer to have another veteran on the roster other than Bowe. Do I want a rookie to replace Avery? Of course. I just don't know that I see this current regime getting rid of Avery and essentially have a ton of inexperience outside of Bowe. In the end, I think Reid will look for improvements in the passing game between Smith and his receivers after having a full year and another offseason to work together.

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
Good call nic!

Sammy Watkins, Clemson
Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
Marquise Lee, USC

I guess I don't look at draft picks as automatically coming in on day 1 to a starting role. Do I think Andy Reid and John Dorsey are going to cut Donnie Avery after 1 year? I think they would prefer to have another veteran on the roster other than Bowe. Do I want a rookie to replace Avery? Of course. I just don't know that I see this current regime getting rid of Avery and essentially have a ton of inexperience outside of Bowe. In the end, I think Reid will look for improvements in the passing game between Smith and his receivers after having a full year and another offseason to work together.

I don't look at it as automatic either, but with the round we are looking at to go along with what Avery is, I would hope we would PROJECT our draft pick as the starter....not as an eventual replacement. Otherwise we shouldn't be drafting him, IMO.

Last edited by ArrowheadRage58 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jimmydee1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I generally agree, but only if he is a DL or OL, maybe a LB. I DO expect a first pick receiver or RB to come in a have an immediate impact. If these expectations are too high, then we should consider trading all our #1's for multiple 2-3.....I expect 2-3's to need a little more time than a #1 skill position player. Maybe I expect too much, but if I draft them #1, they would KNOW what I expect and play to those expectations or get lost when the next man steps up and gives me the performance.

Its like Bum Phillips once told a raw rookie with a ton of potential..."Son, your potential is gonna get me fired."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37

Jump to: