Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Guy Out Here, I'm Just "Mocking" Around
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
If Luck hadn't panned out nobody would have called it a bad move.

Tell that to the San Diego Chargers, who drafted Ryan Leaf #2 in 1998. Their head coach was fired after the rookie season (and never got another HC chance) and the GM "retired" 2 years later. They ended up having to draft 2 more QBs (Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers in the following 6 years). Anytime a QB is drafted in the top 10 and busts, people lose their jobs.

That's why it should be no coincidence that Mike Shanahan lost his job already (while RGIII hasn't "busted", he hasn't been consistent) and Joe Philbin is already on the ropes (The OC was already fired) after drafting QBs in the top-10 a year ago.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
jshowers wrote:
If Luck hadn't panned out nobody would have called it a bad move.

Tell that to the San Diego Chargers, who drafted Ryan Leaf #2 in 1998. Their head coach was fired after the rookie season (and never got another HC chance) and the GM "retired" 2 years later. They ended up having to draft 2 more QBs (Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers in the following 6 years). Anytime a QB is drafted in the top 10 and busts, people lose their jobs.

That's why it should be no coincidence that Mike Shanahan lost his job already (while RGIII hasn't "busted", he hasn't been consistent) and Joe Philbin is already on the ropes (The OC was already fired) after drafting QBs in the top-10 a year ago.

Exactly, right now, Rick is walking on alot of uncertainty.
If he swings and misses on another QB at #8, he'll be fired in 2 years, and likely won't retain a GM position again.

Its one of the reasons I just don't think Rick drafts the 4th QB off the board at #8. Its a safer play for him to draft another position, and address QB later in the draft
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I'd share a Kramer story, but I'd be banned.......

I would be good with that draft. Replace the WR with an DL, and I'd be more good.....

Welcome to the site.

thanks for the welcoming!

only reason i didn't put in a DL is the fact we drafted Floyd last year. i don't see a reason why we would want to have 2 young guys in the DL. center of the 4-3 defense would be affected. i feel as if Zimmer will try and bring in a DT thru the free agency. i know i didn't put any free agent pick-up's or re-signings on my mock draft so there is plenty of reasons to pick out things on my draft.

I LOVE THE COMMENTS! great forum everybody

have a great day, stay warm!

-gopherwrestling

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Football's Future, GW! I haven't had a lot of time to study all the different prospects this year, so I've been just trying to look into the QB's, because that is our biggest need, IMO.

As far as Manziel is concerned, he is a tough one to figure out. He definitely seems to have some real bust potential. His size, style of play, and past off field issues are all concerns.

At the same time, he also has a tremendous upside IF he can get past all the other issues. It is this upside that sets him apart from guys like Christian Ponder. This upside is what makes him one of only two prospects (Bridgewater is the other) who I would be ok with the Vikings taking at #8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
NorthCountryEvo wrote:
jshowers wrote:
NorthCountryEvo wrote:
I have no problem with Manziel at #8. If he falls there, he literally has too much upside to not take. I am not his biggest fan, nor his biggest naysayer. When a guy like him is at your pick, and you need a QB, no one is going to blame you for taking him, even if he busts.

I do like the draft, I could see Shazier not making it to the second round, but he is borderline, so it is possible. I also agree with going DL instead of WR, we are not hurting at wideout, and you D-line is an area where we could improve.

If Manziel is picked in the top 10 and busts, whoever banged the table for him will be out of a job. It's a major risk.

This can be said for any QB taken in the top 10 though. If we take any QB in the top ten, nay, top 15, Speilman's butt will be on the line, and that QB and the GM's futures will be forever linked.

If Luck hadn't panned out nobody would have called it a bad move. Heck, nobody is really that upset about Locker, Ponder, Freeman, or even Sanchez. Sure they were questionable picks, but there was enough there to justify it.

Manziel is different. If Johnny goes top 10 and doesn't pan out, critics of the pick will come out of the woodwork. The hate will be strong.

I disagree...Theyare upset about ponder and locker and there is a difference...Ponder and Locker both were no where near Johnny while in college...on so many levels. Ponder was the guy who truly lost his job to EJ but was beloved too much by the staff to let down, he was the guy at FSU that never reached his potential...truth be said he leveled off in college. Locker was the guy who never played anyone and never won big....and he never had to compete for his job since the recruiting was so bad..many tried to blame the team ...but his was also apart of that team. Neither one is even close to manziel...so I think people do care that they are bust...because they expected that the scouts knew something that they didn't know...and this time ... they did not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: